• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Elsewhere.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We're about 2 weeks ahead of you and still the yummiest Pilgrim's meal was the trout and potatoes at the monastery at Roncesvalles.

Great photos of the walk up and over the Pyrenees!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We're about 2 weeks ahead of you and still the yummiest Pilgrim's meal was the trout and potatoes at the monastery at Roncesvalles.

Great photos of the walk up and over the Pyrenees!

I had a spinach omelette this morning at Zuriain that made me go into ecstasy.

I don’t normally eat spinach.

Miracles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
John’s blog: “The cowbells prompted a Proustian recollection of Franz Klammer – I wonder how he is…”

Grüß gott John!;)
Read your blog! Well Done! Interesting that the cow bell triggered the memory of Franz Klammer...LOL.....Franz won the downhill in the 1976 Olympics in Innsbruck on the Patscherkopl in 1:45.73. (which I have been fortunate to be able to hike up many times) Certainly can hear the cows on the Patscherkofel in summer but none there when Franz was skiing...though I understand the association.
Love hiking in the Innsbruck region and Stubaital.
Looking forward to more pictures and your comments! Have fun and Prost!

https://m.facebook.com/Franz-Klammer-73105665413/[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a spinach omelette this morning at Zuriain that made me go into ecstasy.

I don’t normally eat spinach.

Miracles.

If Popeye had have ever done the Camino they'd have never got him out of this place where you had the spinach omelette.
I'll be starting in 4 weeks time. Do you remember what the place was called where you encountered the spinach omelette?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many Thanks for your reply John. I'll most definitely look out for it in the not too distant future, as I'm partial to omelettes of any description. It'll make a bit of a change from tortilla espanola.

I hope your Camino continues to be problem free.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wonderfully written blog! And I love the interspersed pictures.

The unexpected song I couldn't stop singing on the Camino was "So Happy Together" by the Turtles.
WHY did I sing this forgettable song and, more amazingly, how do I remember ALL the lyrics??

The subtle one-upsmanship I remember several times on the Camino was "where did start from?" Then, they would calculate how many days and say, "Oh, so you are taking it easy."

Last edited:
@JohnLloyd, I agree 100% with your comments about Grañon -- it was one of our favorite towns and favorite albergue experiences. The communal dinner and the evening reflections in the church choir loft were memorable moments and Cristina, the local pharmacist, and her husband, Gustavo, were special Camino angels for my wife and me. Re: music in the local venues, I recall that the owner of the little tienda next to the plaza (I think his name was David) was a jazz aficionado and was playing a lot of Brubeck when we were having lunch there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Really enjoying your blog, John! And well done for the help and comfort you gave to Martin - that must have been a scary time for him.

Buen onward Camino!

Last edited:
Lovely blog, John. Phil and I will be hospitalerios at Granon this winter Dec 16-31. We also have happy memories of our own stay pilgrim stay there in 2016. Glad you were there when Martin happened to have his emergency.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lovely blog, John. Phil and I will be hospitalerios at Granon this winter Dec 16-31. We also have happy memories of our own stay pilgrim stay there in 2016. Glad you were there when Martin happened to have his emergency.
you are blessed! I remember very well your blog from your last hospitlalero service. May it ll go well.

Good on you and all the others who helped Martin - true pilgrim spirit shown in such a profoundly sad place.

'Love Albergue San Anton Abad John. It's my favourite albergue on that part of the Camino Frances. Did you meet the owners' dogs? So friendly and loving the attention of the pilgrims who were there at the time I stayed recently. The albergue had every facility that any pilgrim would hope for and to pay €10 for a place in the large dorm with single beds, chest-high partitions and your own locker, was excellent value. Also, the €13 pilgrim dinner was absolutely delicious. Five star albergue in every way IMO.

Buen Camino and take joy in every step on those ancient, sacred and magical paths.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I confess, the poster tribute to a beloved icon and fellow Canadian Leonard Cohen brought a tear to my eye. Had I come across that in person on the Camino, I’d be a blubbering mess. He was a truth teller indeed. That IS how the light gets in.

Also, I really MUST know more about the muffin oven.

I confess, the poster tribute to a beloved icon and fellow Canadian Leonard Cohen brought a tear to my eye. Had I come across that in person on the Camino, I’d be a blubbering mess. He was a truth teller indeed. That IS how the light gets in.

Also, I really MUST know more about the muffin oven.

It’s solar powered, he brings the mix and throws in local ingredients and GoSun Community Kitchen is the Facebook group to join

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you would like to post something on the forum, please post it on the forum. It may be a wonderful observation, but I feel like someone's just trying to drive traffic to his site, and I don't want to be manipulated that way. Crabby old me lacks the ambition required to leave Ivar's place to go to yours.

Many members have blogs and we want the forum to be more than a set of links to them. You can put a link to your blog in the signature to your post. That way you contribute first to the forum, and add your blog reference as secondary.

Another tip: "Live" on the Camino works well if you start one thread and then update on the same thread, rather than starting a new thread every day.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last time I walked in I was the only customer. The owner was wearing a surgical mask as I entered. Before I could say anything he handed me a beer and a cigarette then shouted at me to get out! So i did. I could hear a strange spraying sound coming from inside. Two minutes later he comes outside, still wearing his mask, carrying a baby bird and a bottle of wine. Locks the bar and sits down. Said he was spraying for flies as he poured me a wine. Then tries to light a cigarette with problems, as he forgot about the mask on his face. Then pulls out lumps of raw meat from his pocket and starts feeding the baby bird. The bird was loose but didn't want to leave him.

Just another day at bar Elvis!

Davey

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m sorry if I’ve done something wrong - I’ll not post again.

As @Davey Boyd says - please don't stop! Loving your blog, and personally these posts are a useful prompt to check (yes I know I could "follow" the blog). You could progressively post all the links in one thread that you add to as you go along, as others have suggested, but I really don't see it as a problem. I've been looking out for each new post on the "New posts" list, and they are proving a real highlight! And you're not exactly forcing anyone to read your blog - this isn't some commercial site, people - it's just a blog! A very well-written and entertaining one, with some lovely pictures. Keep it up, I say!

Buen Camino!

As @Davey Boyd says - please don't stop! Loving your blog, and personally these posts are a useful prompt to check (yes I know I could "follow" the blog). You could progressively post all the links in one thread that you add to as you go along, as others have suggested, but I really don't see it as a problem. I've been looking out for each new post on the "New posts" list, and they are proving a real highlight! And you're not exactly forcing anyone to read your blog - this isn't some commercial site, people - it's just a blog! A very well-written and entertaining one, with some lovely pictures. Keep it up, I say!

Buen Camino!
Indeed, and no one is obligated to read any of the posts on this forum.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I discovered your blog about two weeks ago, and I've been silently enjoying it ever since. The easiest thing would be to keep enjoying it silently, but I've decided not to. I want to compliment you on your blog, which is hilarious and thought-provoking in equal measure, and extremely well written to boot. Thanks for that, John.

I discovered your blog about two weeks ago, and I've been silently enjoying it ever since. The easiest thing would be to keep enjoying it silently, but I've decided not to. I want to compliment you on your blog, which is hilarious and thought-provoking in equal measure, and extremely well written to boot. Thanks for that, John.

You’re too kind - but thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can't believe you post at breakfast. I'm a zombie until at least 5km and second my breakfast!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ooohhh, I recognized so many photos today, thanks for posting! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Enjoying your blog @JohnLloyd. And I love your attitude to those joining at different stages (particularly at Sarria) - I'm with you. Enjoy the party.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€60,-
Have just read through your whole blog so far and just love it! Despite vowing I'd never walk the CF again, I'm back back to CAmino Dreaming. I may just tack it onto the end of my Le Puy trip. *Sigh* I'm so wishing to be on the road again!

Hi John

Did I miss your last post into Santiago?
No, it’s coming soon.

As you might understand, it’s been quite a couple of days celebrating with 20/30 other friends and my mind hasn’t been ready to compose a post yet.

An afternoon on the beach at Finisterre will help.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back