• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Grisham book

K Turner

Time of past OR future Camino
August-October 2019 CF
I just received an email notification that John Grisham's new book was released today. My heart jumped for joy at the title, "Camino Winds."

Then I saw the topic is actually about a murder during a hurricane in Florida.

Now I am disappointed! 😂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just received an email notification that John Grisham's new book was released today. My heart jumped for joy at the title, "Camino Winds."

Now I am disappointed! 😂
He released another in 2017 called Camino Island, I had the same response 3 years ago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Now I am disappointed! 😂
I am almost finished Jack Hitt's book on which the movie, "The Way" is based. I recommend it.

I am almost finished Jack Hitt's book on which the movie, "The Way" is based. I recommend it.
Is that, "Off the Road: A Modern-Day Walk Down the Pilgrim’s Route into Spain"?
I am always eager to read another book about the Camino. I am just finishing "I'm Off Then," by Hape Kerkeling, in English, wish my German was good enough to read it in German.

Sadly, there has never been a top-flight literary talent like John Grisham who has ever written a book about the Camino. Well at least a non-fiction effort.

Many of the books written about the Route Francés are amateurishly written, such as Kurt Koontz’s A Million Steps (Koontz, 2013), which also contains fuzzy, low-resolution photos taken by the author who is a sincere and likable guy, but not a professional writer.

The bestselling (three-million copies) Camino book I’m Off Then: Losing and Finding Myself on the Camino de Santiago (Free Press, 2009) is the humorous account of walking the Route Francés from German comedian Hape Kerkeling, and while it was entertaining enough to be made into a film, it is not about introspective self-discovery or mindfulness or transformation.

While some of the travel guidebooks such as John Brierley’s, contain a wealth of well-researched historical and cultural background, most Camino memoirs do not. Such is the case with the popular book Walk in a Relaxed Manner (Orbis Books, 2005) by Joyce Rupp. Written by a Catholic nun, this book is a list of catechism lessons to be learned by making the pilgrimage rather than a detailed chronological narrative with information about where to stay or sites to visit that a traveler could follow.

Shirley McClain's effort was bizarre.

Hitt's book is great history and a leisurely read, but no epiphany.

Because of the massive world-wide reach of the Camino, it comes of no surprise that there have been a slew of books written about it. A large percentage of these books seem to follow the same repetitive formula: “The albergue was very crowded and I got little sleep because of the fat man snoring, I drank café Americano coffee, I walked 30 kilometers, I got a blister, I met a cool guy from Holland, I had paella for the first time…”

News Flash: Readers want to know about the pilgrim’s self-doubt, and transformation not his blisters.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sadly, there has never been a top-flight literary talent like John Grisham who has ever written a book about the Camino. Well at least a non-fiction effort.

Many of the books written about the Route Francés are amateurishly written, such as Kurt Koontz’s A Million Steps (Koontz, 2013), which also contains fuzzy, low-resolution photos taken by the author who is a sincere and likable guy, but not a professional writer.

The bestselling (three-million copies) Camino book I’m Off Then: Losing and Finding Myself on the Camino de Santiago (Free Press, 2009) is the humorous account of walking the Route Francés from German comedian Hape Kerkeling, and while it was entertaining enough to be made into a film, it is not about introspective self-discovery or mindfulness or transformation.

While some of the travel guidebooks such as John Brierley’s, contain a wealth of well-researched historical and cultural background, most Camino memoirs do not. Such is the case with the popular book Walk in a Relaxed Manner (Orbis Books, 2005) by Joyce Rupp. Written by a Catholic nun, this book is a list of catechism lessons to be learned by making the pilgrimage rather than a detailed chronological narrative with information about where to stay or sites to visit that a traveler could follow.

Because of the massive world-wide reach of the Camino, it comes of no surprise that there have been a slew of books written about it. A large percentage of these books seem to follow the same repetitive formula: “The albergue was very crowded and I got little sleep because of the fat man snoring, I drank café Americano coffee, I walked 30 kilometers, I got a blister, I met a cool guy from Holland, I had paella for the first time…”

News Flash: Readers want to know about the pilgrim’s self-doubt, and transformation not his blisters.
Are you a writer , by any chance , Terry ?
Years ago , well before I trudged the Camino Francés , I came across a book called Pilgrim Stories by Nancy Louise Frey.

I haven’t read it for 20 years but am now inspired to do that again.
Well researched I seem to remember , especially with reference to religion, and symbolism

Try and find that one , Terry

If you've already walked the Camino Francés, I recommend The Great Westward Walk: From the Front Door to the End of the Earth, by Antxon González Gabarain, with translation by Rebekah Scott. It's not a how-to book about packing lists and whether to wear boots or trail runners--it gets into the soul of the Camino in a way that only a Spaniard can express. Why did I say read it after you've walked? You gotta read it and you'll understand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think, with two books with the word ‘Camino’ in the title, that the Camino might be calling John Grisham! Let’s get him together with John Brierley and an extremely well-researched and fast-paced, twisty and turny novel would result! Which brings us to the main character - he/she’d have to be a cyclist!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Paul Coelho?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Terry
Couldn't really grasp what you have written, from your profile
Any suggestions ?

Now I am disappointed! 😂
Well, thanks! Got me all excited too, then crushed me. 🤣

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Still one of my favorite books on the Camino Frances is by Tim Moore, Spanish Steps. One Man and his Ass on the Pilgrim Way to Santiago Published 2004.
I read this in about 2007 and convinced myself one day I would walk it. In 2015 when I retired I did. every year since I have been back in Spain once or twice walking different routes.

In fact, one of the top French writers, Jean-Christophe Rufin, a member of "l'Académie Française", has written a book about his own experience on the Camino del Norte : "Immortelle randonnée".

Translated into English as "The Santiago pilgrimage: walking the Immortal Way".

A big literary success in France (#2 in 2013 sales). A bit sarcastic about the pilgrims and pilgrimage, but I can recommend it.

5136jTHoTOL.jpg

Hello, the above mentioned book Walk in a Relaxed Manner by Joyce Rupp is available as a free download at the Internet Archive.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Still one of my favorite books on the Camino Frances is by Tim Moore, Spanish Steps. One Man and his Ass on the Pilgrim Way to Santiago Published 2004.
I read this in about 2007 and convinced myself one day I would walk it. In 2015 when I retired I did. every year since I have been back in Spain once or twice walking different routes.
I read that book in 2017 whilst on Camino, on my sisters phone, it was my treat every night. Laughed myself to sleep.

I very much enjoyed Sinning Across Spain by Australian author Ailsa Piper. She walks the Camino Mozarabe from Granada, carrying the written burdens of people's 'sins' that they wished to repent, much in the medieval tradition. She also references an earlier Camino Francés. A well written account.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back