Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

Casa Ivar John talks about his walk from Lisbon & shows us his pack!

I had a nice talk to John today about his walk from Lisbon... he also showed us his pack!

Attachments

• thumbnail-400.jpg
    thumbnail-400.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 12
Past OR future Camino
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
Great video Ivar and mucho Thanks to John for spending some of his time with you to make this informative Video. We do our Lisboa Camino next Sept/Oct 2022 and much of what John said about the distances confirms what we have read about the Caminho Portuguese.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

peregrina2000

Staff member
We do our Lisboa Camino next Sept/Oct 2022 and much of what John said about the distances confirms what we have read about the Caminho Portuguese.
I didn’t hear specific mention of which particular stages were in the 40+ km range, but in my experience, and with the big increase in accommodations between Lisbon and Porto, that is no longer an issue.

Gronze lists six stages over 30 km between Lisbon and Santiago, and the longest one is 34.5 between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Each one of those 30 + stages has ways to break things up, usually at various points, along the way. This may be affected by covid, but I would use gronze as the starting point and make contacts from there. But I hope people don’t shy away from this route thinking that you have to walk 40+ kms on some stages.

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Frances to Finisterre/Muxia staring Sept. 2015,

Via de la Plata 2019
I didn’t hear specific mention of which particular stages were in the 40+ km range, but in my experience, and with the big increase in accommodations between Lisbon and Porto, that is no longer an issue.

Gronze lists six stages over 30 km between Lisbon and Santiago, and the longest one is 34.5 between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Each one of those 30 + stages has ways to break things up, usually at various points, along the way. This may be affected by covid, but I would use gronze as the starting point and make contacts from there. But I hope people don’t shy away from this route thinking that you have to walk 40+ kms on some stages.
Thank you for this. Much more doable for me then next year hopefully.

Helen Avoca

Slow walker.
Past OR future Camino
Planning to finish to Chemin Le Puy in April 2022.
I had a nice talk to John today about his walk from Lisbon... he also showed us his pack!

Thank you. I enjoyed this very much. Straight forward no nonsense look at what’s in the pack. I always start with very little, but end up with napkins and olive oil sachets, ointments gifted by others etc. I’m going again next April and I think I will do a before and after inventory of my backpack.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Past OR future Camino
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Hi Ivar and John - thank you both for a terrific interview. I really enjoyed your conversation.

The big thing that came out of the interview for me was John’s mention of the need for suitable sun protection through his story of getting sun poisoning on the Via de la Plata in Spring, wearing short sleeves and getting terribly sunburnt. I’m going to be walking the VDLP next Spring and John’s experience has made me rethink the shirt choices I’ve made. I’m now going with one long-sleeved hiking shirt and one very lightweight long-sleeved sun top which is a golfers top and is designed for hot weather. Thank you John for sharing your experience.

Cheers from Oz -

Jenny

Past OR future Camino

Thank you. Everyone’s experience is different. I appreciated how you handled the mask discussion Ivar. I, too, feel like wearing a mask is about taking care of others, as well as myself. It will be wonderful to have all this behind us for sure, and until then I will wear my mask (even though I don’t like it) when I am with others, and cannot safely distance.)

Blisters are common for sure but not inevitable. There are many people who walk without blisters. I liked what this man said about shoes being so important. I would add that even perfect shoes can become imperfect in through hiking. I agree that walking long distances in your shoes before you walk the Camino is important to see where your individual vulnerabilities lie.

I always like to see other’s packs. My second Camino packing was very different from my first.

Thank you for all you do Ivar.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I agree with his assertion that "Blisters are inevitable" if you carry a 20lb pack plus 3 liters of water and wear hiking boots.

I didn't watch the entire video. Did he say that his pack weighed 20 lbs?

I, too, feel like wearing a mask is about taking care of others, as well as myself.

Me too!

Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles

Forgive me. I have just watched a tiny section, but stopped where John refers to the fact that because above 90% of the populations in Spain and Portugal are vaccinated, what's the big deal on wearing masks? Well the big deal is that we cannot fool ourselves into thinking we have beaten this virus.
I will continue to watch the remainder of the video, but in view of current horrendous increases in cases here in Ireland, until very recently clapping itself on the back for the positive statistics, please: remain vigilant. It is not over.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Flog

Past OR future Camino
Forgive me. I have just watched a tiny section, but stopped where John refers to the fact that because above 90% of the populations in Spain and Portugal are vaccinated, what's the big deal on wearing masks? Well the big deal is that we cannot fool ourselves into thinking we have beaten this virus.
I will continue to watch the remainder of the video, but in view of current horrendous increases in cases here in Ireland, until very recently clapping itself on the back for the positive statistics, please: remain vigilant. It is not over.
I watched a bit further.. to where he shows his spare plastic cups for sharing a drink with other pilgrims. It's thoughtful and I'm not fussy, but unless I was dying from thirst, I don't think I'd be willing to accept a drink from a cup that someone keeps their toilet paper in, just saying..

HaveringRob

Past OR future Camino
I watched a bit further.. to where he shows his spare plastic cups for sharing a drink with other pilgrims. It's thoughtful and I'm not fussy, but unless I was dying from thirst, I don't think I'd be willing to accept a drink from a cup that someone keeps their toilet paper in, just saying..
(it's just paper. I doubt he keeps used TP in it.) Would you be hesitant to drink from a cup with a napkin in it?

Past OR future Camino
I appreciate you saying this. I felt the same. This Canadian is not letting down my guard.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles
Thanks to John for a practical and useful interview. I especially liked the sleeping bag liner - very smart to get a huge one. I also loved the many sections in the rucksack... 👣

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads