• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Join me on a virtual camino walk this summer?

Well today I took the Scouse Spouse and went for a walk to get used to our boots before starting on Hadrian's Wall on Sunday ... and we ended up just past Atapuerca! So while virtually walking on one World Heritage site in training for another, we ended up at a third! I imagine we got a full guided tour in English, very interesting!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks like a stay-at-home day again today, but for a good cause: I am expecting delivery of my new (used) camera, as both of our point-and-shoots have mysteriously died since the honeymoon camino :( and also mosquito repellent walking trousers and a fleece jacket for Scouse Spouse, an upgrade from the OK-but-not-great outfit from March. These are the last purchases before Hadrian, at least I hope so! If they arrive before three I might still have time to go to Riopico though ...

Guess what - the Guaranteed Next Day Delivery failed to deliver. However I did get all my walking clothing washing done and had time for a little evening outing and am now in Riopico (and a bit). Next time I venture out I will be in Burgos (again)!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello again! Long time no posts. I have been walking though - from Bowness-on-Solway to approximately Chollerford, in fact, on the Hadrian's Wall Path! I did walk all the crags (love the ups and downs) and didn't stop until my PF flared up again and we decided that since we were on holiday we would skip the flat and tarmaccy bits and spend a day exploring the ruins of Chesters fort and the finds in the museum instead. Then we went into Newcastle, which was surprisingly beautiful and I really enjoyed it. All in all I racked up in excess of 120kms, which means I am now in virtual Moratinos, looking for Reb's albergue!

Hope you are all okay, that feet and shoulders are working as they should and that you find time to walk a bit. I am leaving for the actual Camino mid September and have about 115 kms to get to virtual Astorga before I get to the real one. And I have carbon Pacer Poles, and I'm not afraid to use them ...

Hi Linda! Sorry I didn't know anyone was still on the virtual camino? I haven't had any alerts on posts since I last posted and yet I'm supposed to have like your posts I haven't seen?????o_O

Hope your PF settles I can see that many pilgrims suffer with it?

I've had enforced rest I'm afraid, the shoulder problem was settling pain wise but still have a serious amount of impingement and limited range of movement:rolleyes: then a few weeks ago, after a cortisone injection I somehow manged to tear the deltoid muscle of my left arm!!!!! :eek::mad: So my surgeon said rest for 3 weeks! :( That's just completed and I went up to the Lakes yesterday and climbed Wansfell, with one pole :cool: I officially HATE walking with one pole, especially the downhills that I used to love!

Have actually done enough plodding away to reach Sarria.
18 days till I leave so will eventually make my virtual Santiago goal and maybe carry on to the coast?
Great hearing from you again, anyone else still out there?

It's nice to "see" you again, @nidarosa and @Griffin57. My foot has pretty much healed, I've broken in the new orthotics, and am just now starting to build up my mileage again. I've walked 4 km, 14 km, 10 km and 5 km in the last few days, and hope to do 14 km again today. I am trying hard not to overdo things and re-injure myself. I am also trying not to get too excited about my plans for October, since there is another matter that could interfere with things and that won't be resolved until late September! That is one reason I am not studying my Brierley to see where my daily walks would get me.

I will be watching your posts to see how your September starts go. Do you think you will post on a "Live from the camino thread"? Or use the September thread?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Clare, great to 'see' you too and glad your foot is mending! :) You are right to to be wary about re-injury but it's hard not to become too keen when you are good to go again? Hope your other issue gets resolved soon too.

Have manged to carry my backpack today with water, food, rain gear almost 10 miles, flat going but I am well pleased.:D My backpack isn't bothering my shoulder or arm, just need to keep the weight out of it initially. As per another thread, I think wildwil, re knees I'm going to use the advice to use a 'china bag' to ship some of my stuff ahead until I can gradually get used to the pack being heavier. Maybe by Pamplona I can carry a full pack? If I have to use pack transport for the full 2 weeks then so be it! Contributing to the local economy, always a good thing.

Will probably post on the September thread as it won't be used for much once we've all set off? It's been great to 'meet' with so many pilgrims that I could actually meet on camino, there are about 7 of us planning to meet in St Jean before setting off or if not at Orisson. :)

This is weird. You know the way on a bike when you see a tree/stone/hole in the road and you focus so hard on swerving away from it that you zone in on it and hit it? I have that with Sahagun, apparently. I decided when I started this virtual camino that I would avoid Sarria and Sahagun, and guess where I 'am' now? Yep, in Sahagun. This is the town where in 2012 my friend finally sought medical help and was told to rest completely for two days, then rethink and walk no more than 5 kms a day for a week, increasing to 10 if it went well. We decided I would walk into Leon and she would get the train, find a room and rest, and I would be there in two days. Lots of thinking time for both of us. Only she got on the train to Leon, was in so much pain she decided no amount of resting in town would do, got a ticket to Madrid, left shortly after and sent me a message after the fact. She then stayed in Madrid for 24 hours and was on a flight home before I even got to Leon. Thus my solo camino started that early morning in the convent in Sahagun, and I didn't even know it. Right now I don't even know why I wanted to avoid it - it was a thing that had to happen and it gave me an opportunity to try walking on my own, which in hindsight I am happy about. Still ... when this rain stops I think I'll move on into the second half of this journey!

I ended my walk in Sahagun on a grey windy day last November, and took a train to Barcelona. Had to leave Spain to attend a family funeral. So it is a grey memory for me too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Uh-oh, this is not looking too good. I am now in Mansilla de las Mulas and am imagining having had a great lunch and mid day break at The Blue Bar/Elvis Bar/Bar Torre in Reliegos. Next stop Leon, then Astorga. But as I will be busy getting ready and getting things done and out of the way before I go, I can't see it happening ... I will have to run around at the airports to get some extra Fitbit kms in before I hit Astorga in real life next week.

It has been a good walk, I have enjoyed this virtual camino although it took longer than I thought. Still it shows how much I have actually managed to walk this summer and you all helped. Thanks a lot, hope to see you in Tertulia some time!

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't contributed in a while. I guess if I check my Fitbit I may have clocked up enough miles to reach Santiago but it is with a very heavy heart. :(

My shoulder/arm injury is much worse and I'm waiting for an MRI and then surgery. My doc knows about my trip and how important it is to me so I have his permission to go and it's 'only' 16 days STPdP to Burgos this year. I suppose any sane person might cancel but I really need the trip for my annual camino re-boot, it keeps me sane?

I can actually wear my pack it's comfy, getting on and off is a struggle :rolleyes: but doable. I have been advised to only carry food, water,first aid and waterproofs. Looking to take another bag to ship other stuff ahead. I have hopes that I won't be judged for this but .......?
I'm the type of person that finds it difficult to ask for help but it seems I will need to negotiate for bottom bunks?
Once I reach Pamplona I will see if I can gradually increase pack weight till I can carry all stuff. I really want to stay in Granon and will most definitely be carrying my pack that day. I won't be the first patient to ignore Dr's instructions :eek::rolleyes:;)

I have enjoyed the motivation that the virtual camino brought and can hardly believe that in exactly one weeks time I will be waking up in St Jean getting ready to walk up to Orisson.
I wish you all well on your virtual or actual camino adventures!:D
Buen camino
Sarah

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry to hear of your continuing shoulder problems @Griffin57 ! Are you able to use poles?

Just enjoy the walk, and accept that you may not keep up with some people. And if you find it difficult to walk, then zip straight ahead to Burgos or points between,and enjoy that. I have to prepare myself for that possibility, too, because I haven't been walking as much as I'd like, and I'm leery of my feet getting injured again.

Best wishes, and be sure to post on LIVE from the camino!

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't contributed in a while. I guess if I check my Fitbit I may have clocked up enough miles to reach Santiago but it is with a very heavy heart. :(

My shoulder/arm injury is much worse and I'm waiting for an MRI and then surgery. My doc knows about my trip and how important it is to me so I have his permission to go and it's 'only' 16 days STPdP to Burgos this year. I suppose any sane person might cancel but I really need the trip for my annual camino re-boot, it keeps me sane?

I can actually wear my pack it's comfy, getting on and off is a struggle :rolleyes: but doable. I have been advised to only carry food, water,first aid and waterproofs. Looking to take another bag to ship other stuff ahead. I have hopes that I won't be judged for this but .......?
I'm the type of person that finds it difficult to ask for help but it seems I will need to negotiate for bottom bunks?
Once I reach Pamplona I will see if I can gradually increase pack weight till I can carry all stuff. I really want to stay in Granon and will most definitely be carrying my pack that day. I won't be the first patient to ignore Dr's instructions :eek::rolleyes:;)

I have enjoyed the motivation that the virtual camino brought and can hardly believe that in exactly one weeks time I will be waking up in St Jean getting ready to walk up to Orisson.
I wish you all well on your virtual or actual camino adventures!:D
Buen camino
Sarah
Sarah I am so very sorry to hear the injury got worse. You have an amazing spirt, and because you do, I have no doubt you can do this as you have described. Believe me, I totally relate when you say it's difficult to ask for help. I can't remember when I haven't been that way - a lesson still to be learned. We are leaving at such close dates. I depart Victoria 21st, but it's taking a couple of days to get to St. Jean. I'm getting my poles there then I will stay at Beilari on the 24th and start my journey on the 25th; first stop (if the Gods & Godesses will have it) I will be in Orisson for the evening. I will hold very good thoughts for you Griffin; it would be a heartache for you(and us) not to do it. Wishing you well……Maggie

Sorry to hear of your continuing shoulder problems @Griffin57 ! Are you able to use poles?

Just enjoy the walk, and accept that you may not keep up with some people. And if you find it difficult to walk, then zip straight ahead to Burgos or points between,and enjoy that. I have to prepare myself for that possibility, too, because I haven't been walking as much as I'd like, and I'm leery of my feet getting injured again.

Best wishes, and be sure to post on LIVE from the camino!
Sarah I am so very sorry to hear the injury got worse. You have an amazing spirt, and because you do, I have no doubt you can do this as you have described. Believe me, I totally relate when you say it's difficult to ask for help. I can't remember when I haven't been that way - a lesson still to be learned. We are leaving at such close dates. I depart Victoria 21st, but it's taking a couple of days to get to St. Jean. I'm getting my poles there then I will stay at Beilari on the 24th and start my journey on the 25th; first stop (if the Gods & Godesses will have it) I will be in Orisson for the evening. I will hold very good thoughts for you Griffin; it would be a heartache for you(and us) not to do it. Wishing you well……Maggie

Thanks girls, will do my best and let you know how it is out there. I will have my MRI on Wednesday before I go and face the music when I get back.

I'm going to take both poles as any activity below the waist can be OK? Will need to be trial and error I think I just feel unsafe coming down with only 1 pole, will stash one one the flat.
It will be what it will be! :rolleyes:
I hope you are both well and and have am amazing camino! Be careful out there. Thank you for your kind words. :)
Buen camino
Sarah

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow, that was a blast from the past! Maybe it would be an idea to start a cancellation virtual camino this year? Or that virtual albergue to meet up in at night?

Wow, that was a blast from the past! Maybe it would be an idea to start a cancellation virtual camino this year? Or that virtual albergue to meet up in at night?
Yes, that is what I was thinking. I remembered some interesting old threads, but couldn't find them quickly.

It would be great if you would start one up! It could be a familiar route, but it could also be an obscure route where everyone would be trying to do the research to figure out the next day's stage. We could even have several routes so people can follow their choice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I virtually climbed to Orrisson from SJPdP just now.... took me 4 hours, but I think i lost 10 lbs.... :rolleyes: ;) 😂👍
Ultreia! 🚶‍♂️🏃‍♂️🤸‍♂️
I'm starting in Burgos this morning. Looking forward to seeing the meseta again
Maybe you should each re-post in new threads - titled something like "Join my virtual walk from SJPP/Burgos" . This thread is getting quite long, so it might be easier to have new threads for each virtual camino journey, if you intend to follow through on them (barring virtual injury, of course :) ).

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back