• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Join me?

grandpa.zohar

Time of past OR future Camino
(Portugese 2015)
I intend to walk from Sarria to St Jago in middle April. Since I'm 77 my pace will be about 10 km a day and I would like some body walk with me. Anybody?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I intend to walk from Sarria to St Jago in middle April. Since I'm 77 my pace will be about 10 km a day and I would like some body walk with me. Anybody?
Welcome to the forum. There are many who would advise that there is no need to arrange a walking companion beforehand. There will be many peregrinos starting in Sarria; you will not be alone. The Camino will provide. Buen Camino :)

Welcome , you don't need to arrange a fellow peregrino . You don't walking alone. I wish you a Buen Camino .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
By St. Jago, I/we presume you mean Santiago? Assuming this is the case and you are planning to walk the final 111 kilometers from Sarria to the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela, you will NOT be alone.

In fact, it is sometimes difficult to find private time along this stretch. It depends on the time of year, day of the week, and time of day. However, even at "normal" volumes, this is the most frequently walked stretch of the Camino Frances. About half of ALL pilgrims start at Sarria and end at Santiago.

In 2015, Easter Sunday is on 5 April. The week following this will see a much higher volume of pilgrims on this final stretch of the Camino Frances than is normally the case. This is because many people have the previous Friday (Good Friday) and the following Monday (the day after Easter) off work. As a result, many people use a few holiday days to complete the Camino from Sarria in about 5-6 days.

"Typically" most Spanish and other European pilgrims will start from Sarria on Good Friday or the Saturday, or on Easter Sunday. This means that there will be a larger surge of pilgrims than usual competing for bed space, at all price ranges, including hotels along the way. One method to counter this concern is to depart Sarria on a Tuesday or Wednesday, so the surge is in front of you.

If your dates are flexible, at any time of the year, I always recommend that people plan to arrive and depart Sarria from Monday to Thursday. It makes getting a hotel room at Sarria easier the night before. It also frees up bed space all the way to Santiago as you avoid the weekly surge.

I hope this helps. Shalom!

Welcome to the forum. There are many who would advise that there is no need to arrange a walking companion beforehand. There will be many peregrinos starting in Sarria; you will not be alone. The Camino will provide. Buen Camino :)

Thank you Icacos,
I think that is something else if I have a companion from the first day during all the camino, which will be in a way "obliged" (since I'm in good health physically and mentally , but 77). In exchange my companion will be my guest in my room in hotels (2-3*) and I pay for meals too. Is it a good bargain? I asked my grandchildren to come with me, but they have no time :confused:. Since I'm retired, I'v plenty of time and intend to do the 111 km at about 2 weeks. zohar

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
By St. Jago, I/we presume you mean Santiago? Assuming this is the case and you are planning to walk the final 111 kilometers from Sarria to the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela, you will NOT be alone.

In fact, it is sometimes difficult to find private time along this stretch. It depends on the time of year, day of the week, and time of day. However, even at "normal" volumes, this is the most frequently walked stretch of the Camino Frances. About half of ALL pilgrims start at Sarria and end at Santiago.

In 2015, Easter Sunday is on 5 April. The week following this will see a much higher volume of pilgrims on this final stretch of the Camino Frances than is normally the case. This is because many people have the previous Friday (Good Friday) and the following Monday (the day after Easter) off work. As a result, many people use a few holiday days to complete the Camino from Sarria in about 5-6 days.
I hope this helps. Shalom!

Thank you Andreo. I think to start about 15 April so it will be after the rush days. See my answer to Icacos
Shalom.zohar

Thank you Icacos,
I think that is something else if I have a companion from the first day during all the camino, which will be in a way "obliged" (since I'm in good health physically and mentally , but 77). In exchange my companion will be my guest in my room in hotels (2-3*) and I pay for meals too. Is it a good bargain? I asked my grandchildren to come with me, but they have no time :confused:. Since I'm retired, I'v plenty of time and intend to do the 111 km at about 2 weeks. zohar
Zohar, your offer to pay for a companion's accommodation and meals is very noble and generous ... in theory; in reality though, I'm not so sure it is such a good idea. There are several threads on this forum regarding the disadvantages and pitfalls of locking oneself into walking with a companion and, to me, your offer of paying such companion's (stranger's) expenses in exchange for companionship, kind though it is, adds a whole new dimension to what can be from the onset a very complicated business. I worry that you might be getting yourself into a difficult situation.

You say you are in good health physically and mentally, "but 77." I don't see age 77 being a factor in your ability to walk the Camino without a set companion. I believe I am correct that there are many in their 80's who walk alone, that is, without a companion. As stated earlier, you will not be 'alone,' especially if you are starting in Sarria. I urge you to do some more research into this - hopefully, other forum members will offer their opinions too. And I don't think one should underestimate the wealth of support and companionship one can get from fellow peregrinos met along the way. You will not be alone.

There is still lots of time before your April start date. Who knows, perhaps you will come to quite like the idea of undertaking this on your own ... or one of your grandchildren might come to embrace the idea of accompanying you and be able to free up his or her calendar ... or another relative or friend ... and you will be able to walk the Camino with "one of your own." I hope so.

Do give yourself more time here, keep positive and trust that all will work out. The Camino provides.

Big Camino hugs,

Charleen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Zohar, your offer to pay for a companion's accommodation and meals is very noble and generous ... in theory; in reality though, I'm not so sure it is such a good idea. There are several threads on this forum regarding the disadvantages and pitfalls of locking oneself into walking with a companion and, to me, your offer of paying such companion's (stranger's) expenses in exchange for companionship, kind though it is, adds a whole new dimension to what can be from the onset a very complicated business. I worry that you might be getting yourself into a difficult situation.

You say you are in good health physically and mentally, "but 77." I don't see age 77 being a factor in your ability to walk the Camino without a set companion. I believe I am correct that there are many in their 80's who walk alone, that is, without a companion. As stated earlier, you will not be 'alone,' especially if you are starting in Sarria. I urge you to do some more research into this - hopefully, other forum members will offer their opinions too. And I don't think one should underestimate the wealth of support and companionship one can get from fellow peregrinos met along the way. You will not be alone.

There is still lots of time before your April start date. Who knows, perhaps you will come to quite like the idea of undertaking this on your own ... or one of your grandchildren might come to embrace the idea of accompanying you and be able to free up his or her calendar ... or another relative or friend ... and you will be able to walk the Camino with "one of your own." I hope so.

Do give yourself more time here, keep positive and trust that all will work out. The Camino provides.

Big Camino hugs,

Charleen
Yeah, I agree. Catching the tab for some total stranger just so they will walk with you? A paid companion of sorts? Not a good idea. Besides, you will meet plenty of people along the Way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will have a great experience together. I am happy for both of you that he has chosen to share this journey with you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm sure. we have allready walked a little together.
nice crocks:rolleyes:

So happy to read your son is walking with you. Felt a good amount of concern when I saw you were willing to pay someone. This is by far a better outcome.
I walked the camino this year and met several people older than yourself walking alone. Age is not an issue.
Buen Camino to you both :)

This is good news @grandpa.zohar as walking the Camino with a son or daughter is a really special thing to do. I loved walking the Camino with my daughter. We learnt so many new things about each other and the mutual respect has really flourished as a result.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is good news @grandpa.zohar as walking the Camino with a son or daughter is a really special thing to do. I loved walking the Camino with my daughter. We learnt so many new things about each other and the mutual respect has really flourished as a result.
=
Yes, walking is the only opportunity some one has a lot of time to talk, or be silence. to help each other by small gestures, to understand the other under presure... I walk with my son some gorges in Crete (recommended) some years ago, and than my younger son (42) asked to come with me for the same trips - after he heard about it from his elder brother. We did it last June:)

I walked that route at about 7-15 kms a day. I had a stress fracture in a bone in my foot so it was very slow for me. Initially it was lovely being alone as very few walked at that speed. However meeting new people every evening become rather tiring. Having a companion is nice. In the last two days I met a lonely young girl, and we helped each other for the last long 15 kms.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back