A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Join the quest for the perfect panel loading camino pack?

2020 Camino Guides

tarasis

Camino(s) past & future
Plan Camino Frances (May-June 2019)
Have now done 5 x 20+km and 2 x 30km walks with it fully loaded and would say I barely notice it, comfortable and snug. Weight I have ended with is 6.8kg
Cheers for the feedback, good to hear. I managed to try it out with a 3kg load and it seemed good (along with Osprey Stratos 34 & 36, Dueter something, and a couple of others … found they sat a little too low and swayed) . Had hoped it was a little smaller to be able to take it on as carryon.

Definitely prefer that Black and Orange over the Blue & Gray.

Will be my first backpack/rucksack of that type.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I'm back from walking nearly 1100 km on my latest Camino using the Ranger 35. It was very comfortable and carried the load well. I started out with about 14.5lbs without water.

For anyone who is interested in this pack it's now on sale for only $124! They are showing a regular price of $155, but when it was introduced, and when I bought mine in February, it was $185.

Hiker-jill

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte 2016
I'm back from walking nearly 1100 km on my latest Camino using the Ranger 35. It was very comfortable and carried the load well. I started out with about 14.5lbs without water.

For anyone who is interested in this pack it's now on sale for only $124! They are showing a regular price of $155, but when it was introduced, and when I bought mine in February, it was $185.

Trecile
I am confused by the "one size fits all"....is it somehow adjustable? What size torso do you have? Most backpacks that I've tried have been ordered specifically by torso length....and maybe a separate measurement for waist...So, I am curious...

Reactions: mai

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Trecile
I am confused by the "one size fits all"....is it somehow adjustable? What size torso do you have? Most backpacks that I've tried have been ordered specifically by torso length....and maybe a separate measurement for waist...So, I am curious...
No, it doesn't have an adjustable torso length, but fit me just fine. My torso length is 18".
I'm sure that @davebugg could explain how this pack is able to fit a range of torso sizes.

Hiker-jill

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte 2016
No, it doesn't have an adjustable torso length, but fit me just fine. My torso length is 18".
I'm sure that @davebugg could explain how this pack is able to fit a range of torso sizes.
Thanks...I am asking for my sister....I could probably wear it, because my torso is also 18"...but hers is 16".....

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
Update on the panel loader quest: I have just returned from a 300 km walk on the Francés, in hot weather, with my supposedly 25L Osprey Escapist. I have dared myself to do it many times but this is the first time I have actually done it. And it performed great! Not too full, just enough organisation, and she even sits up by herself so no falling over and no dusting the floor in the packing process.
I didn't miss the pole stowing thing, mostly because I use my Pacerpoles all the time so no need to stow them, but when I did, I just opened the waist belt and clipped them in there.
I had my water bottle in one side pocket where I could reach and replace it myself, my Birkenstock EVAs in the other, and layers and wet stuff in the mesh stash/kangaroo pocket. Small and frequent use stuff in the zipped sunglasses pocket, general stuff in the main compartment, urgent stuff like first aid, poncho, umbrella/parasol in the larger organising pocket. Hardly used the sleeping bag compartment opening, but when I did I was glad to have it. Clothes, sleeping bag and toiletries/laundry stuff was all separated in drybags and easy to get to without lifting everything out.
The back panel is the same as the Talon/Tempest and Kestrel/Kyte models and kept me cool enough without getting the pack soaked. Harness and waist belt very comfortable and the velcro adjustment helped get the perfect fit. And when I came home I just folded her into the washing machine!
I did cut the shoulder strap pocket off though, as it was too small for my glasses and mobile, instead I put a velcro strap around that part of the strap with a drinking tube clip to attach my umbrella/parasol to shield from the blistering sunshine. I also removed the helmet holder and cinching bungee to make it easier to use the front zip, since I would fill the pack anyway.
All in all I am very happy with her and still amazed at the capacity for such a small pack!
DSC_1100.jpg

Last edited:

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Oh and by the way, the new season Osprey pack features a remake of the Manta 24 and 34L, and Mira 22 and 32L - all panel loaders with aircon backs and bells and whistles! Pricey though. My Escapist adventure makes it easier not to yearn for one.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Update on the panel loader quest: I have just returned from a 300 km walk on the Francés, in hot weather, with my supposedly 25L Osprey Escapist. I have dared myself to do it many times but this is the first time I have actually done it. And it performed great! Not too full, just enough organisation, and she even sits up by herself so no falling over and no dusting the floor in the packing process.
I didn't miss the pole stowing thing, mostly because I use my Pacerpoles all the time so no need to stow them, but when I did, I just opened the waist belt and clipped them in there.
I had my water bottle in one side pocket where I could reach and replace it myself, my Birkenstock EVAs in the other, and layers and wet stuff in the mesh stash/kangaroo pocket. Small and frequent use stuff in the zipped sunglasses pocket, general stuff in the main compartment, urgent stuff like first aid, poncho, umbrella/parasol in the larger organising pocket. Hardly used the sleeping bag compartment opening, but when I did I was glad to have it. Clothes, sleeping bag and toiletries/laundry stuff was all separated in drybags and easy to get to without lifting everything out.
The back panel is the same as the Talon/Tempest and Kestrel/Kyte models and kept me cool enough without getting the pack soaked. Harness and waist belt very comfortable and the velcro adjustment helped get the perfect fit. And when I came home I just folded her into the washing machine!
I did cut the shoulder strap pocket off though, as it was too small for my glasses and mobile, instead I put a velcro strap around that part of the strap with a drinking tube clip to attach my umbrella/parasol to shield from the blistering sunshine. I also removed the helmet holder and cinching bungee to make it easier to use the front zip, since I would fill the pack anyway.
All in all I am very happy with her and still amazed at the capacity for such a small pack!
View attachment 64779

I see no reason why they should not be - but are all rucksacks female, like ships? If not - and there are two (or more - I am nothing if not ‘woke’) genders - how does one tell the difference

Anyway - I’m delighted that you have found something which really works for you.

Last edited:

davebugg

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Frances (2018)
Camino Ingles (2019)
I see no reason why they should not be - but are all rucksacks female, like ships? If not - and there are two (or more - I am nothing if not ‘woke’) genders - how does one tell the difference?

In 1970’s UK working-men’s-club humour (I know I’m talking to a smaller and smaller audience by the word...) we could compare the brain size (what I know as the lid), but happily those days are gone and I wouldn’t know where to start nowadays.

Anyway - I’m delighted that you have found something which really works for you.
A lot of the gender-differentiated backpacks adjust the width of the backpack at the shoulder girdle and waist areas. The size (spine length) choices are also somewhat adjusted for smaller increments between small to large. Additionally, many manufacturers will incorporate a shoulder harness that is shaped to better fit a larger chest area.

Testosterone and estrogen pheromones are optional. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
A lot of the gender-differentiated backpacks adjust the width of the backpack at the shoulder girdle and waist areas. The size (spine length) choices are also somewhat adjusted for smaller increments between small to large. Additionally, many manufacturers will incorporate a shoulder harness that is shaped to better fit a larger chest area.

Testosterone and estrogen pheromones are optional. :)
[/QUOTE

Dave - I was counting down slowly from ten and expecting you to come in with a technically unimpeachable answer before I got to one.

You didn't let me down.

I’ll have to mark on the calendar when you’re over here waking with Mrs Bugg.

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
My Escapist is a unisex or male biking pack in theory but I am tall and broad shouldered and have a short back for my height so it fits me very well. Her name is Stella though 😁

davebugg

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Frances (2018)
Camino Ingles (2019)
My Escapist is a unisex or male biking pack in theory but I am tall and broad shouldered and have a short back for my height so it fits me very well. Her name is Stella though 😁
Stella. . . I love it :)

There are a lot of male hikers that have started using female specific packs. The biggest reason is that they seem to fit better around the chest area. The narrower cut to the packs profiles also seems to be preferred.

Camino(s) past & future
Things that you treasure deserve names. In my humble opinion, of course.

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Things that you treasure deserve names.
Absolutely! Have just been discussing this on my recent camino and was surprised how many had never thought about it. There were more named packs when I left than when I arrived though!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 173 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 279 24.4%