• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joining a Camino de Santiago Group Tour with Tips and Guides

Flatfooter

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - April 2022.
Hi,

I am keenly interested to see how i can join a group, or if there are recommended tour operators / groups.
Likely doing it from Sarria, for the 7-8 day trek, around mid - April

I hike, but havent done much solo so i dont feel ready to tackle this on my own yet, but still keen to do it and meet others. Also i have a dog fear, which holds me back on solo a bit.

any tips would be appreciated or any guides who are running tours, or existing groups?

thanks
Mark

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m sure there will be recommendations inbound shortly. In the meantime could you give some idea of your intended route? If it were, for example, the Frances from Sarria; you will not be without company for a moment, in fact you might want some space to yourself. Set off on the bottom ends of the Madrid, Mozárabe or RD la Plata and other walkers might be few and far between.

I can understand your uncertainty; but there’s rather less to the Camino Frances than you might think; apart from the multiple consecutive days walking. The hospitaleros have seen it all before and every nationality under the sun - often operating with nothing but sign language - has gone before you.

I’m sure there will be recommendations inbound shortly. In the meantime could you give some idea of your intended route? If it were, for example, the Frances from Sarria; you will not be without company for a moment, in fact you might want some space to yourself. Set off on the bottom ends of the Madrid, Mozárabe or RD la Plata and other walkers might be few and far between.

I can understand your uncertainty; but there’s rather less to the Camino Frances than you might think; apart from the multiple consecutive days walking. The hospitaleros have seen it all before and every nationality under the sun - often operating with nothing but sign language - has gone before you.

thank you for that, i have edited my original post on the basis of what you have said. Still finding my feet with this, and working out my plans.

i also have an issue with dogs, so i have added that, which is part of the solo walk driver

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, that helps.

As my alter-ego on here purports to be canine I speak with some authority.

There are dogs in Spain; there are great slavering hounds in Spain and the historic (and slowly changing) Spanish attitude to dogs is that they are either effective livestock guardians or useless.

The risk which Spanish dogs pose on the Frances is no more or less than a walk through Richmond Park on a summers morning. I appreciate that’s a wholly unhelpful statement to someone with dog issues, but there it is.

I’d repeat that the advantages of a pre-arrranged group on (for example the CF from Sarria) are minimal as you’ll be ‘in company’ from the minute you arrive, but each to their own. There are many reputable operators offering to facilitate walkers on the Frances.

Ok, that helps.

As my alter-ego on here purports to be canine I speak with some authority.

There are dogs in Spain; there are great slavering hounds in Spain and the historic (and slowly changing) Spanish attitude to dogs is that they are either effective livestock guardians or useless.

The risk which Spanish dogs pose on the Frances is no more or less than a walk through Richmond Park on a summers morning. I appreciate that’s a wholly unhelpful statement to someone with dog issues, but there it is.

I’d repeat that the advantages of a pre-arrranged group on (for example the CF from Sarria) are minimal as you’ll be ‘in company’ from the minute you arrive, but each to their own. There are many reputable operators offering to facilitate walkers on the Frances.
thank you
so i think what you are saying, is if i turned up in Sarria mid April, i would meet people there and along the way easily, i.e. i would rarely be solo?

If i were to do that, and actually it would be preferable, do you prebook lodging along the way or just turn up? particularly now given covid etc?
thanks

Turn up in Sarria, especially in April of an (extended) Holy Year and you’ll be in good and plentiful company.

It’s a moot point, with covid the main and unforecastable variable, but for April this year in Sarria and certainly for the next couple of nights thereafter I would personally book the accommodation as I think it’ll be very busy. You can then take a view and book ahead if necessary, or enjoy the freedom as you see fit.

Actually (in March this year) I’m going nowhere near Santiago as every man and his dog (no pun intended) may be there. I’m either finishing off the CdMadrid or just starting in Pamplona and stopping in Leon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
thank you
so i think what you are saying, is if i turned up in Sarria mid April, i would meet people there and along the way easily, i.e. i would rarely be solo?

If i were to do that, and actually it would be preferable, do you prebook lodging along the way or just turn up? particularly now given covid etc?
thanks
I think it would almost impossible to be solo, unless you walk in winter. From Sarria onwards the numbers walking increase hugely. Having walked through that section several times I dont recall any places where you would have issues with dogs. Most of the places where you come into contact with dogs (ie no barrier between) is prior to Sarria.
I am a dog lover so I remember places Ive been able to pat or encounter dogs - I think after Sarria they see so many people they cant be bothered with pilgrims.
Booking ahead is easy, if I book I normally do it a day ahead. Booking pack transport and accomodation (if you want that) is super easy to organise.

Last edited:
Yes
I'd be inclined to pre-book lodging since there are likely to still be Covid protocols in place limiting the number of available beds in albergue dorms. You can
On the Camino Frances, dogs are totally bored by passing pilgrims.
A good way to know if you have wandered off the trail is if a dog isn't bored by you and keeps barking. 😄

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my first Camino I went with a group from Fresco Tours. Not cheap, but good! This gave me confidence to go it alone each year for 7 years afterwards. I am actually scared of dogs: I don't like them and they don't like me, but I have never experienced any canine issues en route.

I'd be inclined to pre-book lodging since there are likely to still be Covid protocols in place limiting the number of available beds in albergue dorms.
Likely doing it from Sarria, for the 7-8 day trek, around mid - April
Something important to keep in mind... in 2022, April 9-18 covers Easter week plus the two weekends. It will be very busy from Sarria to Santiago.

The main danger of advance booking is in being overambitious, but with a 7-8 day plan, you should be fine. Of course, other pilgrims will have their own schedules, but if you leave your lodging at the "pilgrim hour" in the morning, you will have lots of company in April. Even more so during Easter week!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the replies, its given me a lot to think about. Actually makes things easier.

If you had one book to read on planning the trip / finding hostels - do you have a recommendation
thank you

If you had one book to read on planning the trip / finding hostels - do you have a recommendation
Have you seen this thread? :) It gives tips for planning resources.

Good sources for finding accommodation along the route are gronze.com and various apps mentioned in the thread. Gronze is very easy to use even without knowing much Spanish, or you can translate it by right-clicking from Chrome browser.

I was booking after Sarria generally*. But I was only booking a day or two in advance, bot booking the whole stretch in one go. That gave me a little more flexibility for changes in plans.

* The exception was O Pedrouzo where the albergue wasn't taking reservations but was giving preference to "longer haul" pilgrims who had started further away. They said we (started from Roncesvalles) would have no problems getting beds and that was the case for us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
thank you for that, i have edited my original post on the basis of what you have said. Still finding my feet with this, and working out my plans.

i also have an issue with dogs, so i have added that, which is part of the solo walk driver
I, too, am afraid of unleashed dogs on the camino. A trick I found very effective is to spread out your arms holding your trekking poles - guaranteed to silence any barking dogs, at least long enough for you to get away.

Most untethered dogs will be more afraid of you with trekking poles than you of them. But don’t go near any friendly looking “Beethoven” Great Pyrenees sheep dogs. Their JOB is to protect the farm and they will. They are always on chain unless behind a substantial fence. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never had a problem with dogs on caminio
I expect if the way is close or passes by the dogs are use to Pilgrims

I, too, am afraid of unleashed dogs on the camino. A trick I found very effective is to spread out your arms holding your trekking poles - guaranteed to silence any barking dogs, at least long enough for you to get away.
Dog owner here... Without the trekking poles, the act of spreading my arms out and wide is the non-verbal cue for my dog to come charging at me. Usually after a prolonged stay when I was too far out that she couldn't hear me shout "Okay". I found the easiest way to avoid an interested dog is by completely ignoring them, avoid any eye contact and just keep on walking, oblivious to their presence. When you don't give them any attention they would get bored and choose something else to do very swiftly. I have found that the avoidance actions, which are completely natural human thing to do, actually are misunderstood by dogs as invitation to play (e.g. waving hands, using hands to push them away... dogs see the moving hands as rather like toys) and often have the exact opposite effect.

I have been warned by various seasoned peregrinos that this year will be exceptionally busy, as most pilgrims couldn't do their journey last year, and it's an extended Holy Year. I just checked this week and in the smaller towns, some private albuergues are already fully booked, so panic got me and I booked all the stages between Sarria and Santiago already... (for Camino in June). Fingers crossed!

I have been warned by various seasoned peregrinos that this year will be exceptionally busy, as most pilgrims couldn't do their journey last year, and it's an extended Holy Year. I just checked this week and in the smaller towns, some private albuergues are already fully booked,
I think you'll find that the seasoned pilgrims on the forum are far from unanimous in their predictions for 2022. Nobody knows how the various factors will play out. Where did you check about the bookings? The booking sites have only a fraction of the available beds/rooms in their listings. (I do think it is wise to book for that section in June, but no need for panic yet! ;))

I think you'll find that the seasoned pilgrims on the forum are far from unanimous in their predictions for 2022. Nobody knows how the various factors will play out. Where did you check about the bookings? The booking sites have only a fraction of the available beds/rooms in their listings. (I do think it is wise to book for that section in June, but no need for panic yet! ;))
I am doing it with my dog, so I’m working from a much reduced list of dog friendly accommodation listed on APACA/travel sites/booking.com. I am optimistic and hope to see many other peregrinos this summer!

I read your post just after you first wrote it, but held back from responding bc my suggestion in almost all similar cases is to recommend the DIY method and forego any tour group assistance. However...

If you really feel apprehensive about not meeting people...

And you are aware that a DIY camino would be less costly...

And you don't speak another language like Spanish, German, or French and think you will probably be among English speakers if you go the tour agency route..

And you realize that each person's pace determines how far he or she will walk with someone else...

And you understand (I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet) that you will be walking from Sarria onward with some grizzled veterans who started hundreds of kilometers before you, a few of whom might consider you as a kind of newbie who cannot really share the experience they have gained...

Then there is absolutely nothing wrong with booking with a company that can arrange your walk. Really. You know yourself better than we do. Depending on the specific offering, you can enjoy reserved lodging including a private room and meals that are served to others who have booked with the same company.

Just my thoughts. I have walked the Frances twice. Always with my wife who is often ahead of me. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And you understand (I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet) that you will be walking from Sarria onward with some grizzled veterans who started hundreds of kilometers before you, a few of whom might consider you as a kind of newbie who cannot really share the experience they have gained...
In my experience we grizzled veterans were definitely in the minority, but I did notice that some the people who started at Sarria had a different demographic.
As well as the typical solo pilgrim I met organized church groups in a range of ages (mainly American), some school groups (Spanish - and some of them started earlier than Sarria), and some larger groups of Spanish. Other than language issues, I had no trouble talking to anyone. I found a lot of people walking that part because it is cheap to get to if you are already in the EU, the 5-8 days fits required vacation time, and accommodation is cheap and plentiful.

Last edited:
In my experience we grizzled veterans were definitely in the minority, but I did notice that some the people who started at Sarria had a different demographic.
These are the starting points for the pilgrims who received Compostelas in 2020. By far the largest number of those who had walked the Camino Frances began their walk in Sarria. I wouldn't take too much notice of any grumpy long-distance grizzlies you meet on your journey. Distance walked does not make you any more or less of a pilgrim.

Screenshot_2022-01-12-19-42-48-551.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.