• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joining my local pilgrim organisation is a good idea because

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Another proposed forum project!

A lot of new people coming to the forum hear names like The CSJ, the Canadian Company of Pilgrims etc. It might be good if we have a thread which gave some information on the various organisations and members views on the benefits of membership.

I'll kick it off and hopefully others will add on their own views from their own countries.

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm a member of the CSJ-Confraternity of St James because...

I want to support the services which the organisations provides pilgrims - being a member is another way of "giving back". The CSJ is also an important point for information for new pilgrims.

The Confraternity of St James in the UK (founded 28 years ago) is the largest and oldest English speaking association of pilgrims.

The Confraternity promotes the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela and
provides support and services to pilgrims.

Amongst these services: Practical Pilgrim Days organised around the UK they provide a chance for potential pilgrims to learn more, a regular bulletin to members, a bookshop and library. The Confraternity also promotes research and provides a bursary to young people undertaking research into the movement around St James and they also offer help to elderly, frail or disabled people who might otherwise be unable to undertake the
pilgrimage.

The Confraternity publishes guides to many of the routes to Santiago both in print and on line. It has a large on line bookshop and a library in London. The CSJ also runs two albergues for pilgrims at Gaucelmo and Miraz.

There are various forms of membership - individual annual membership costs £25 and joint membership £30

This organisation is well worth supporting.

For further information see:

http://www.csj.org.uk

American Pilgrims on the Camino has a great website, gives us credentials, provides hospitalero training and much more. But in such a big country, we found that forming a local chapter helps us connect with old and new pilgrims better. We now have local chapters in Washhington State and California. Look on the APOC website to see what we are up to! http://www.americanpilgrims.com/about/l ... pters.html
Of course I also recommend starting a chapter near you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
marthac said:
American Pilgrims on the Camino has a great website, gives us credentials, provides hospitalero training and much more. But in such a big country, we found that forming a local chapter helps us connect with old and new pilgrims better. We now have local chapters in Washhington State and California. Look on the APOC website to see what we are up to! http://www.americanpilgrims.com/about/l ... pters.html

To piggyback on to what Martha has said, APOC also provides grants to pilgrims, hospitaleros and albergues...recently gave a grant to the albergue in Astorga for solar panels. Also, there is going to be a chapter forming soon just south of Seattle in a little town I like to call home...Portland, OR.

I've wanted to start a chapter in the Houston, TX area.

Right now I have three people interested!

If you are interested or know someone who might be, send me a private message.

Thanks.

The Puget Sound (Seattle) Pilgrim group (organized by Marthac) attended the Seattle opening of THE WAY last Friday. They then went for tapas at a local Spanish restaurant (actually Argentinian but close enough :wink: ).
A little over 20 attended. A great way to keep in contact with the Camino.
Check and see if there is a group in your area....or start one, if not.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last night we had our first Houston, Texas Pilgrim get together. We hosted 12 people at our home. We had a great time and everyone was enthusiastic about continuing to meet occasionally.

There was that immediate pilgrim bond and it was night of sharing stories and getting to know one another.

I would greatly encourage you to reach out to other pilgrims or potential pilgrims in your cities.

The folks at the http://www.americanpilgrims.com/ were very gracious to forward the invitation to people on their mailing list with zip codes in the Houston area.

PM me if you have any questions.

Jeff

Supporting the organisation provides help for future pilgrims - being a member is another way of "giving back". The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome (CPR) is also a source of information for new pilgrims.

The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome in the UK was founded 5 years ago.

The Confraternity promotes pilgrimage by foot, cycle or horse to Rome and provides support and services to pilgrims.

Amongst these services: Practical Pilgrim Day organised in London to provide a chance for potential pilgrims to learn more, a regular newsletter to members. The Confraternity also promotes research and education about the pilgrimage routes to Rome through a series of open meetings.

The Confraternity publishes guides in print. It has a library in London.

There are various forms of membership - £10.00 is the cost for individual or joint annual membership and £30.00 for 3 year membership for UK residents (they have access to our meetings and library) or 5 years membership for foreign residents.

This organisation is well worth supporting.

For further information see:

http://www.pilgrimstorome.org.uk/index.html

The Canadian group has chapters in Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Kitchener/Waterloo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Fredericton. Generally, they meet twice a year and provide support for returned pilgrims and information for those preparing for the Camino. There are about 1,500 current and former members. Working budgets are kept low, but they have managed over the years to send over E6,000 to the Confraternity of Saint James for the renovation of the hot water systems and kitchen at their albergue in Miraz.

The Association Québécoise des pèlerins et amis du Chemin à Saint Jacques is even more active, with eight regions-- most holding monthly meetings and walks-- and a much larger membership (around 6,000 current and former members). Their annual assembly usually brings together over 300 pilgrims.

They share the Canadian representation on the Camino and operate on the principle of pilgrim support through local groups. Both maintain useful websites and issue credentials recognized by Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a second fraternity in the UK . "Peterborough Pilgrims to Santiago". This fraternity is
a Christian fraternity based on the Anglican diocese of Peterborough. Our President is the Bishop of Peterborough. We are about 50 active members strong and meet twice a year. The next gathering is on the last Saturday in January.All are welcome. It is open to those with a faith and those with none. There is no membership subscription as we operate on a donativio system for everything we do. Sent a private message and I will enroll you. We also organize pilgrimages for those who have never been
before and want to go with a small group. These are meditation based. They are also open to all.

oursonpolaire said:
The Canadian group has chapters in Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Kitchener/Waterloo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Fredericton. Generally, they meet twice a year and provide support for returned pilgrims and information for those preparing for the Camino.

Hello, I've been looking into pilgrim groups and I can't find any that are close to me here in North Dakota. But I am only few hours away from Winnipeg. Would it be possible for me to join this group as an American?

Hey there,
My friend and I are starting our own Chapter of Americans on the Camino in the Orlando, Florida area. If anyone is interested, reply to me with your email.

We are thinking of having our first exploratory meeting on July 14th at 10am at Lake Eola in downtown Orlando. We are meeting at the Japanese pagoda (across from the Panera Bread) and possibly taking a little walk and then some coffee.

Deborah S.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Deborah,

I am interested. Personal replies seem to be generating errors from my end. Perhaps you can connect with me.
I live in Orlando near Walt Disney World (and work there as well).

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

jeffnd said:
oursonpolaire said:
The Canadian group has chapters in Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Kitchener/Waterloo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Fredericton. Generally, they meet twice a year and provide support for returned pilgrims and information for those preparing for the Camino.

Hello, I've been looking into pilgrim groups and I can't find any that are close to me here in North Dakota. But I am only few hours away from Winnipeg. Would it be possible for me to join this group as an American?

There are a few US members (about half of them from Alaska!!), as well as an Egyptian and a Cuban, so I don't see why not. If you send in an application (http://www.santiago.ca/membership.html), you will get e-mail notices of Winnipeg events. Or, if you'd rather, just keep an eye on the CCoP facebook page, and when a Winnipeg meeting is announced, just turn up and join in.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I addition to what was mentioned above about APOC I'll add that it is a great way to meet others who have walked and want to walk the Camino. For me, I've found walking partners, advice, and new friends.

We're deep in the process of starting a Nevada (Las Vegas) chapter. It's exciting and such a great support system for everyone at every level of involvement!

@JohnnieWalker Great post!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Has anyone from the U.S. that you have found had trouble with charging tech devices? Is it okay not to bring a converter?

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.