• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joining Spouse in Léon. How to get my pilgrim passport stamped?

• Thread starter Deleted member 39850
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39850

Hi all and Buen camino to those making plans
My DS is heading out of SJPDP on August 3/4, and I am meeting him on Aug 20th in Léon to carry on together to Santiago. I did SJPDP to Santiago in 2014, and starting out was easy. This start will be new for me as it is midway. I already have a new PP to collect my stamps (purchased from the Forum Store, actually), so I don't need that but I do need to know a few things about how to start out with it on this trip.
I am flying into Madrid and land there early on the morning of Aug 20. I plan to take the train to Léon from there. Should I be trying to get my first stamp in Madrid? Or do I wait until Leon? And is there a pilgrim office in Léon as there is in SJPDP? Or do I simply go to the albergue municipale to obtain my first stamp for departure on the pilgrim's route?
We have until Sept 9th to complete the journey to Santiago and fly out of Madrid on the morning of the 11th. Based on my last experience, this should allow for ret days if we need them. I plan to take DS to the Léon hotel with a water spa, and to do the same in Astorga -- for the sake of the legs....
So we will have rest days there. For me "resting" in Léon will merely be about getting into the correct time zone, but I'd like to visit more cultural sites on this visit than I did last time. So I will take any suggestions for things not in the Brierley guide.
Thank you lovely pilgrims for any advice!
Morgan
PS -- I just read "Miracle Cures: Saints, Pilgrimage, and the Healing Powers of Belief" by Robert A Scott. Fascinating read. Highly recommend! And it's available as an ebook or audiobook for those who want to read while walking without carrying a ton of paper. See: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/j.ctt1ppj66

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In Leon a good place to get your Credential stamped is the Benedictine albergue, Albergue del convento de las carbajalas. You need not stay there in order to obtain a stamp. They are open from 11:00 to 22:30. See more including address/web at
www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/leon/albergue-convento-carbajalas

Following the camino leaving Leon can be dreary. However, it is only 7 km to La Virgen del Camino and an extraordinary 20th century church. http://virgendelcamino.dominicos.es/webvirgen/index.php
The town is named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today the figure is in a splendid church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, a follower of the Brutalist style of Le Corbusier. Located directly on the Camino Frances at Av Astorga, 87, in the midst of chaotic suburb the church is a superbly maintained architectural gem as well as a haven of peace. Be sure to enter it; the calm interior is splendidly lit with deep chrome yellow glass.

Opposite the church you can choose to either continue on the main camino which parallels the highway or pick up the peaceful alternative camino route going slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. It is always very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl while crossing wide flat plains up to V de M where there are several pilgrim albergues and regular accommodation. From V d M the alternative camino continues to Hospital de Órbigo to rejoin the main CF.

Hospital de Orbigo offers many accommodation options; my favorite is the Albergue Verde. They accept reservations and offer wonderful group meals each evening. Leaving HdO turn right to follow the camino towards Astorga via Santibanez de Valdeiglesias on a wonderful rolling rural path

Good luck and Bien camino to both you and your husband!

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice about getting my first stamp in Léon.
I have walked from Léon to Santiago (2014) so I know well the dreary walk -- I chose to continue all the way to Orbigo on one of the hottest days, and I did not know about the hostel verde at the time. Hoping for that one *this time*. I did take the route you recommend through to Astorga last time and intend to do the same on this trip.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hospital de Orbigo offers many accommodation options; my favorite is the Albergue Verde. They accept reservations and offer wonderful group meals each evening.
And they have 1 private room with a double bed, very small. A nice change for a couple. Be sure to book it ahead of time.

And they have 1 private room with a double bed, very small. A nice change for a couple. Be sure to book it ahead of time.
Oh, thank you for that information! Last trip took me through Orbigo and I stayed in the hostel that claimed to have a pool... but was actually *across the street from the public pool — which was closed*. Because I had arrived there as a surprise to myself, having chosen not to stay in Villadonga (which looked too much like a ghost town in a Spaghetti Western), I did not find out about the Verde until the morning of my departure when I walked out of town with a man who had been lucky enough to stay the night at the Verde.
Now, I shall just have to convince DS that it is worth the “hippie vibe” — perhaps if I remind him that the only bedbug I saw on the whole Francés was in the *other* place I stayed in Orbigo...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back