• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joining the Camino del Norte from Hondarribia

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese "2014" from Tui to Santiago
Camino Norte "April 2016"
My husband and I will be starting the Camino del Norte mid-April and we have been given advise from our friends that live in Northern Spain that Hondarribia is a much nicer and more beautiful place to stay in place of Irun. My question goes out to anybody that has taken this route before. Any recommendations on places to stay in Hondarribia (hotels, pensions) and any information on how to join the Camino from Hondarribia? It looks like the distance is pretty well equal to each other if we were to start in Hondarribia instead of Irun.

Thanks,
Jacquie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are right on that Jacquie.

Irun is not that bad though and it has an donativo albergue and one can stay and get their credentials.

Hondarribia is on the way and around 5 km from Irun and I did wish I could spent more time there as it is a nice fishing town.

Places to stay in Hondarribia (according to Trip Advisor) are mostly Casa Rural so prepare to pay around 90 USD a night there.

My husband and I will be starting the Camino del Norte mid-April and we have been given advise from our friends that live in Northern Spain that Hondarribia is a much nicer and more beautiful place to stay in place of Irun. My question goes out to anybody that has taken this route before. Any recommendations on places to stay in Hondarribia (hotels, pensions) and any information on how to join the Camino from Hondarribia? It looks like the distance is pretty well equal to each other if we were to start in Hondarribia instead of Irun.

Thanks,
Jacquie

You're quite right, I believe. I will be starting April 19th from Hondarribia, a town with lots of medieval atmosphere inclduing a complete town wall and a nice fishing harbour. And it's closer to Camino del Norte, if you choose the alpin route. The Albergue doesn't seem open 'till June 1st though, but even if it was open, I'd prefer to stay in the town centre, where it seems to be a hard task to find cheap accommodation. However, I'm quite happy with Pension Txoko Goxoa paying Euro 42 for a room. You won't get a cheaper room int the town center. The only problem being ig I'm gonna lose my way and have to ask for where the hotel is. Pronouncing Txoko Goxoa ... Buen Camino. Hope to see you both there.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
To get on the Camino from Hondarribia, the easiest way will be probably to walk to the Sanctuary of Guadalupe, which overlooks both Hondarribia and Irun, and I believe is visible from both towns as it is on the hill. It is a famous landmark so there must be road signs on the way and you will find yellow arrows right next to the church.

http://www.villasmedievales.com/serviciovilla.php/es/hondarribia/1/santuario-de-guadalupe/167

Although myself I would probably start in Irun because in April there would be plenty of space in municipal albergue and you can get a credencial there (and it takes 10 minutes by a local bus to Hondarribia if someone wants to visit). There is another municipal albergue in a beautiful fishing village of Pasajes de San Juan at the end of the first stage of the Camino, unless you prefer to continue walking all the way to San Sebastian. Both albergues in Irun and Pasajes are open in April and use donativo system. Links:

Hospital de peregrinos de Irun
Hospital de peregrinos de Pasajes de San Juan

Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're quite right, I believe. I will be starting April 19th from Hondarribia, a town with lots of medieval atmosphere inclduing a complete town wall and a nice fishing harbour. And it's closer to Camino del Norte, if you choose the alpin route. The Albergue doesn't seem open 'till June 1st though, but even if it was open, I'd prefer to stay in the town centre, where it seems to be a hard task to find cheap accommodation. However, I'm quite happy with Pension Txoko Goxoa paying Euro 42 for a room. You won't get a cheaper room int the town center. The only problem being ig I'm gonna lose my way and have to ask for where the hotel is. Pronouncing Txoko Goxoa ... Buen Camino. Hope to see you both there.

Oh, that could be a problem - don't lose your way :) Or, you could always write it down. I think that we have decided that we are going to stay at Hotel Palacete, right in the main square. We will miss you by 1/2 nights as we will be there overnight on April 17th, starting our Camino on April 18th. You may catchup though as our plans are to stay in San Sebastian for 2 nights. Been Camino and we hope to meet up with you too!

To get on the Camino from Hondarribia, the easiest way will be probably to walk to the Sanctuary of Guadalupe, which overlooks both Hondarribia and Irun, and I believe is visible from both towns as it is on the hill. It is a famous landmark so there must be road signs on the way and you will find yellow arrows right next to the church.

http://www.villasmedievales.com/serviciovilla.php/es/hondarribia/1/santuario-de-guadalupe/167

Although myself I would probably start in Irun because in April there would be plenty of space in municipal albergue and you can get a credencial there (and it takes 10 minutes by a local bus to Hondarribia if someone wants to visit). There is another municipal albergue in a beautiful fishing village of Pasajes de San Juan at the end of the first stage of the Camino, unless you prefer to continue walking all the way to San Sebastian. Both albergues in Irun and Pasajes are open in April and use donativo system. Links:

Hospital de peregrinos de Irun
Hospital de peregrinos de Pasajes de San Juan

Buen Camino!

Thank you for this info Arthur. We will probably stay in Hondarribia and our plans are to walk to San Sebastian for the 1st stage. Do you know if we can still stop at the albergue in Pasajes de San Juan and pick up our credentials, or do we actually have to stay the night there?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would think you can pick up the credential in Pasajes and keep walking, but please keep in mind that this particular albergue opens up quite late (4 pm) and as far as I remember there is nobody around until that time. It may be a good idea to order the credentials from your local Camino association or just from this forum before you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
I know this is an old thread, but I'll be starting the Camino Norte in May 2018, and I was wondering the same thing. To start from Hondarribia, do you walk on the GI-3440 to the Sanctuary?

Hi!
I know this is an old thread, but I'll be starting the Camino Norte in May 2018, and I was wondering the same thing. To start from Hondarribia, do you walk on the GI-3440 to the Sanctuary?

Hi, welcome to the forum!
I took the ferry from Hendaye to Hondarribia, and walked up to the old town, where there is a Tourist Office. I was surprised to discover that I was on a link to the Camino del Norte right there, so I just followed the yellow arrows from the Tourist Office. I stayed at the Capitan Tximista albergue that night, which is a km or so before the Sanctuary of Guadalupe.
Jill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi!

once you clear the town centre to the roundabout just 'under' the colourful fair on google maps, there are yellow arrows right up to guadalupe. not as numerous as on the leg from irún, but welcome nevertheless. see my track here: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino2016-049-irun-pasai-donibane-17999551.

pilgrims have reported that the route from the youth hostel juan sebastian elkano (which is some 2.5km north of the old centre up a windy side street) is also waymarked.

Wonderful! Thank you so much, this is great information. I can't wait!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.