• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joining the Camino Frances as late as possible

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Just wondering, do you have to join the Camino Frances at Melide? Is there any alternative route and stopping off place so you can join later and avoid the crowds for the last 2 days?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wondering, do you have to join the Camino Frances at Melide? Is there any alternative route and stopping off place so you can join later and avoid the crowds for the last 2 days?

There is no camino path as such but you could 'wing it' by walking your own route on small roads. Eventually you might join the CF at Lavacolla to walk into Santiago. Try using Google Maps to get an idea of back roads to follow from Melide to Lavacolla.

Happy plotting and Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And once you are in Sobrado (on the Camino del Norte), if you don't want to join the Francés in Arzúa you can take a variant out of Boimorto that doesn't join the Francés till Santa Irene (something like 23 kms away from Santiago de Compostela)

And once you are in Sobrado (on the Camino del Norte), if you don't want to join the Francés in Arzúa you can take a variant out of Boimorto that doesn't join the Francés till Santa Irene (something like 23 kms away from Santiago de Compostela)

I've looked up the variant here on Gronze, it is called the Camino Vello (Hair Camino?!), I would like to do it, does anyone know what the way marks are like now (it says poor in the CSJ Norte Guide 2015) ? Where exactly does it join the Frances? In Santa Irene itself?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've looked up the variant here on Gronze, it is called the Camino Vello (Hair Camino?!), I would like to do it, does anyone know what the way marks are like now (it says poor in the CSJ Norte Guide 2015) ? Where exactly does it join the Frances? In Santa Irene itself?

Hi, I have been following this thread, as also interested in this variant. Try google maps for Boimorto, A Coruna, Spain to A Salceda, Spain. I don’t know if this link will take you there:

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/Boimorto,+A+Coru%C3%B1a,+Spain/A+Salceda,+Spain/@42.9582672,-8.2732704,12z/

And click on the little walking man at the top. Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I can't see any reference on the link you provided calling it the Camino (sic) Vello. Anyway, it joins the Francés in O Xen. For info about the variant take a look at:

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/etapa-de-sobrado-dos-monxes-a-arzua (click on observaciones)
http://bardos1959.blogspot.com/2013/08/camino-del-norte-variante-sobrado-de.html

I walked the Camino Vello variant of the Norte last Thursday, although no-one but the British Confraternity Guide to the Norte Part 2 calls it that (p 52-3).

It starts at the far end of Boimorto, and the locals have kindly made home made signs. The albergue in Boimorto also gives out photocopied maps. It's very easy, all on tarmac, and quiet, if a bit boring. You need to take food and water for the whole day, there is one bar but was closed when I passed. I would highly recommend it at high season if you want to avoid Arzua and stay off the Camino Frances as long as possible. It's about 25 km from Boimorto to Pedrouzo, but add another 1 or 2 as the albergue in Boimorto is well before the village centre and Boimorto is a long village.

Route description could not be easier: leaving Boimorto on the Norte, bear right at the health centre (instead of left for the normal route via Arzua). Go straight for a really long way! Football Stadium on your right, ages later a chapel on your left. Keep going straight straight straight until you think you are going mad. After about 10km(!) look out for an absolutely distinctive white cylindrical concrete pigeon tower with a pointy conical roof in a garden on your right. When you see it, turn next left and then 200m later turn right (signpost Oines with a shell sticker on it). Keep straight again for ages and ages. Cross the ugly workings of a new motorway (when road complete will have to detour a little to the right onto a new bridge for this, but it should be obvious). Keep going straight. Cross a slightly busy road with houses (O Xen I think), dive into a gap in the hedge opposite and surprise pilgrims on the Camino Frances!

Any queries feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I’ll be going that way in November. Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Vello variant of the Norte last Thursday, although no-one but the British Confraternity Guide to the Norte Part 2 calls it that (p 52-3).

It starts at the far end of Boimorto, and the locals have kindly made home made signs. The albergue in Boimorto also gives out photocopied maps. It's very easy, all on tarmac, and quiet, if a bit boring. You need to take food and water for the whole day, there is one bar but was closed when I passed. I would highly recommend it at high season if you want to avoid Arzua and stay off the Camino Frances as long as possible. It's about 25 km from Boimorto to Pedrouzo, but add another 1 or 2 as the albergue in Boimorto is well before the village centre and Boimorto is a long village.

Route description could not be easier: leaving Boimorto on the Norte, bear right at the health centre (instead of left for the normal route via Arzua). Go straight for a really long way! Football Stadium on your right, ages later a chapel on your left. Keep going straight straight straight until you think you are going mad. After about 10km(!) look out for an absolutely distinctive white cylindrical concrete pigeon tower with a pointy conical roof in a garden on your right. When you see it, turn next left and then 200m later turn right (signpost Oines). Keep straight again for ages and ages. Cross the ugly workings of a new motorway (when road complete will have to detour a little to the right onto a new bridge for this, but it should be obvious). Keep going straight. Cross a slightly busy road with houses (O Xen I think), dive into a gap in the hedge opposite and surprise pilgrims on the Camino Frances!

Any queries feel free to PM me.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

You are welcome. I didn't see anyone else walking all day, although children from the pigeon tower house did want to sell me their home made bracelets, so I guess some people must pass by that way. Be aware that the little traffic there is can come rather fast and the roads are not wide. There is one section with blind summits where you need to be especially careful and keep your ear out. The barman at Bar Bobby is also super helpful and nice (although often stressed!).

There is a nice outdoor swimming pool next to the football stadium open 4 to 8pm if anyone is in Boimorto in summer.

Buen camino

Any up dates on this??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.