• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joining two routes?

Johnboy

Hello. Has anyone ever started at Madrid (on the Madrid to Sahagun extension) turned off at Medina de Rioseco (just north of Valladoid), gone to Tabara (on the C612) linking up with the Camino Mozarabe and then continued on to Santiago? I make it about 690K in total and it seems to me preferable to going to Sahagun for those who have already walked the Camino Frances. John.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Johnboy, now that was an interesting suggestion! I had a look on Michelin and there seems to be very few villages along the C612. You also would have to consider 55 km on asphalt. There seems to be one village along the route, a few km south of the C612. It should be mentioned that the Meseta north of Medina de Rioseco is like being in an ocean, with the villages like small islands.
The really big advantage is that you come on to the "Plata". The disadvantage is that you don't get to see the last few villages/castles on the "Madrid" and you won't meet Rebecca Scott at her refugio just outside Sahagun. May I suggest you walk to Sahagun, then to Leon on the Frances. (3 days) From Leon you can take the Camino Salvador to Oviedo (4 days) and from Oviedo the Camino Primitivo to Arzua and Santiago. (12 days)

Regards,

Kevin

This is just a shot in the dark reply, so it might be totally impractical. However, I couldn't help notice that the Camino de Levante (which starts in Valencia and hits the Plata) passes south of Madrid. So, with a bit of research, you might just be able to head south and hit the Levante. On the Plata, if you go via Ourense, you don't repeat any of the Frances. I checked out the Levante because I thought that it would be a pretty cool trip to start in Valencia and end up in Finnesterre.

Update: I found out more about the Levante and it passes through Toledo. I am not sure how one could go about getting from Madrid to Toledo on foot. However, Toledo might make an alternative starting point is you wanted to start near Madrid, but not repeat part of the Frances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
peregrina nicole said:
... I am not sure how one could go about getting from Madrid to Toledo on foot. However....

On foot? Really difficult. I wouldn't try it. Very difficult to cross all roads and motorways to go out from Madrid in that direction. Lots of big cities around Madrid in that part.

From Toledo the Camino del Sureste (the one from Alicante) (more historical than the Camino del Levante) goes to Avila. If you want to join this Camino may be the best option is to begin in Madrid to Segovia and, from there, to look for the best option to Arevalo or Avila. But, no arrows, you will have to find your own way. But much easier than the one from Madrid to Toledo.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back