• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joining two Routes

johnBCCanada

Hello

This is not at all urgent but I am starting to think about returning to Spain and doing something different than I did last year. I was thinking of starting in Barcelona and walking until I met the Camino France and continuing along the Camino France to Santiago and then maybe on to Finisterre.

I am curious if others have done this and how it went. APROXIMATELY how long does it take?

Regards,

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
johnBCCanada said:
I am curious if others have done this and how it went. APROXIMATELY how long does it take?

I have done that, starting in Barcelona, three years ago.

The Catalan is a very lonesome track with few pilgrim accommodations but otherwise well equipped.

Montserrat is very impressive and the monks offer free beds to pilgrims.

Enjoy!
Jean-Marc

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked out of Montserrat 2 years ago, and it took me about seven weeks to get to Santiago. I took the northern route (Huesca-Jaca-Monreal-Puente la Reina-- this gives you more detail http://www.csj.org.uk/route-cami-de-sant-jaume.htm) rather than going up the Ebro and joining the Camino Francese at Logrono. The second route is perhaps the one with better pilgrim facilities.

You will not meet a lot of other pilgrims. Aside from two cycling priests from Austria, I saw no other pilgrims between Montserrat and Jaca. There were two Québécois a few days ahead of me, but I never did meet them. People were very helpful along the way but you need to keep an eye on your water.

thank you all for your information. I would like to do this but it is not likely before 2011. This year I am allowing an ankle to heal from surgery. Next year I understand is a holy year and I think the CF will be quite busy so the folllowing year sounds good. In the meantime I will heal and learn some Spanish and do some dreaming and then planning.

Soething to look forward to.

John

Others have done it. I did Barcelona to Finesterre in 43 days (4 rest days) 2011, for someone who has done 5000+ kilometers. It went well, truly unforgettable! Used a tent (Barcelona-Logrono).

Depending on your route some advice (southern ebro) here pilgrim-introductions/topic12122.html

Enjoy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
sillydoll said:
You could start at Barcelona
http://www.camisantjaume.com/
http://www.peregrinoslh.com/camino_catalan.htm
The Camino Catalán (480km) starts from Montserrat and goes to Logrono or up to the Aragones route with a split at Tarrega: -
http://www.amicsdelspelegrins.org/icatalans.htm
Then 612km to Santiago and another approx. 90km to Finisterre.

About 1192km at 25km per day is around 47 days.

Add the distance between Montserrat and Barcelona approx. 62 km = 1254 km.
Also allow for resupply and some "other" detours at 10 percent the total distance = 125 km.
This may bring the total distance to 1379 km.

Thus formulated as 1254 km < total distance > 1379 km for Barcelona-Finisterre
@25km/day = 50 < days > 55 nonstop. Add rest days as needed.

If you're going to start near the Mediterranean, I say go the whole hog and start up north at St. Pere de Rodas. It's an amazing romanesque monastery/church perched high up on a rock overlooking the ocean. I don't know where the camino goes from there, but if it goes along the coast at all, and hits the Greek/Roman ruins at Ampuries, you are in for a real treat.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back