• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joint Credencial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Former member 108926

So my 2 questions are .......

1) can you do a joint Credencial for a camino?

ie with two people's names (who are clearly walking) on the details page? So we would essentially then only need to carry one .....

2) how many pages are there for stamps on one side of a Credencial when its opened up ?

I think its 7 but be grateful for confirmation

I should know the answer to the latter question but mine is folded and framed so I can't check.....

Be helpful to know if anyone does?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've never heard of a joint credencial. No idea what the pilgrim office would think of the idea.

There are many different credencials from many sources. With different sizes and numbers of spaces for sellos. Which one did you have in mind?

Just the standard one that's on sale on the forum's store

Attachments

• cred.jpg
    cred.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 14
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

ie with two people's names (who are clearly walking) on the details page? So we would essentially then only need to carry one .....
I am interested to understand why. The weight saving would be insignificant, and the difficulties should you want to do different things on a couple of days would clearly be overwhelming, essentially mitigating against doing that at all. What are the advantages you see in doing this?

I am interested to understand why. The weight saving would be insignificant, and the difficulties should you want to do different things on a couple of days would clearly be overwhelming, essentially mitigating against doing that at all. What are the advantages you see in doing this?
Its not for weight saving...

It's cos I'm doing it with my other half and at the end I'll probably frame it and it would then have both names on it.

But I still need to know if its doable or not really!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't think that it's doable, but there's nothing stopping you from writing both names on the credential when you are done. I do doubt that you will get a Compostela with both names.

If you plan on framing the credential you should get two and only stamp one side of each to show all the stamps.

I don't think that it's doable, but there's nothing stopping you from writing both names on the credential when you are done. I do doubt that you will get a Compostela with both names.

If you plan on framing the credential you should get two and only stamp one side of each to show all the stamps.
Thanks for your reply but when you say you don't think it's doable...why ? Is there a rule about this ...? Or is that just a view?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For many albergues, each person requesting a bed must have a credential.

For the Compostela, it signifies that the holder was received those sellos while walking. One credential with multiple names just tells the office that one person received the stamps while the other person may or may not have been there. They will not accept it on faith that you were both present for each stamp.

To be clear, ANYONE can walk across Spain without a credential and without seeking a Compostela. If you want to participate in a pilgrimage to the tomb of St James and receive a Catholic Church document, you must follow the rules.

Thanks for your reply but when you say you don't think it's doable...why ? Is there a rule about this ...? Or is that just a view?
Not doable because every pilgrim that wants a Compostela needs a credential. Also public and parochial albergues usually require each person who stays there to have a credential.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For many albergues, each person requesting a bed must have a credential.

For the Compostela, it signifies that the holder was received those sellos while walking. One credential with multiple names just tells the office that one person received the stamps while the other person may or may not have been there. They will not accept it on faith that you were both present for each stamp.

To be clear, ANYONE can walk across Spain without a credential and without seeking a Compostela. If you want to participate in a pilgrimage to the tomb of St James and receive a Catholic Church document, you must follow the rules.
thanks so it’s a rule is it ?

Where can you read them ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why not frame both your and your wife's credentials and Compostelas?

Don’t recall ever having to show my credential to stay at an albergue….

So is there an actual rule apart from just assuming this isn’t allowed…?
I think this question is one that the Pilgrim Office would need to answer. Their email is oficinadelperegrino@catedraldesantiago.es, and I have found they normally respond within a day.
done that thanks previously and haven’t had a reply yet but thanks for the constructive reply

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not frame both your and your wife's credentials and Compostelas?
Too expensive ;)
It's simple: one pilgrim, one credencial.
There's nothing to stop you putting as many names as you want on your credencial, but you will only get one compostela with it, should you want one. Same will apply in most muni/ parrochial albergues, one of you can sleep there.
well it’s not actually “simple” otherwise I wouldn’t be asking a simple question about it….and it’s not actually that big a deal in reality is it….?

What I’m trying to ascertain is where it is defined as a “rule” or isn’t actually an issue tbh

Do you see my point?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a pilgrim, I have always been asked for my credencial at an albergue. Other places might not care, but they do. And as a hospitalero, I always wanted to see each person's credencial. The question never arose about two people claiming to be walking on the one credencial. Like most identity documents, and it is your pilgrim identity document, it is issued to an individual.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As a pilgrim, I have always been asked for my credencial at an albergue. Other places might not care, but they do. And as a hospitalero, I always wanted to see each person's credencial. The question never arose about two people claiming to be walking on the one credencial. Like most identity documents, and it is your pilgrim identity document, it is issued to an individual.
As I said never had anyone ask to see the Credencial to allow boarding…I think it’s a romantic notion….

Going to watch The Way now & see if I can find my answer 😬

But thanks for your help anyway ….

Be interest on the response from the PO as that’s the end of the road so to speak

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Going to watch The Way now & see if I can find my answer
Yep, if you cannot get the answer you want from several experienced pilgrims, one of whom volunteers at the Pilgrim Office and another who has served as a hospitalero, it's worth consulting a complete work of fiction because you can rely on that being entirely and completely accurate in every last detail.

Perhaps the stupid grimace face emoji indicates you are attempting some form of humour. Let me apologise for not getting it, because I don't.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As there is no such thing as a his and hers / family joint credencial and thus absolutely no functionality in terms of getting a bed in an albergue, pilgrim discount or a Compostela, you could just use a sheet of A3 paper, cut it and concertina it and then just stamp and date it as you go. Of no practical benefit whatsoever, but whatever...

As I said I’ve emailed the PO
Please do let us know what the PO says when, or if, you get a reply.

Novel questions require novel answers ... 😇.

FWIW, like @Flog and others, I thought that the answer was not only simple but self-evident. One look at the text in the credencial, whether in Spanish or in French, and I see that it says nombre and nom in the singular and not in the plural in the box where you have to enter your name, and at the very end it speaks of the holder - and not the holders - as agreeing to the conditions stated in the credencial. ... In any case: Buen Camino!

And yes, as already suggested, enter your own name carefully and save some space for later, keep the pen so that you will be able to write your spouse's name later in the same colour, and add your spouse's name beneath your name once you both have received your Compostelas after having presented your individual credencials. You won't get a joint Compostela - that at least is as certain as the amen in church.

Last edited:
I'm slightly .... stupefied... by persistence despite the VERY Obvious answers... but OK...here are mine
1. not ONCE through my walking both Frances and Finisterre last year a given hospitalero(a) in any albergue failed to ask me for a Credential. Perhaps they all are hopeless romantics .... ;)
2. Yes by all means watch The Way. You will definitely get the RIGHT answers there. After all thats the Camino where
  • One can stop at Orisson after Pamplona
  • One can drop a backpack into a river that is like 10km from the nearest point of Camino Trail
  • One can run into a given neighborhood of Burgos and immideately know that Gypsies live here (despite being 1st time in the city)
  • One can answer "to Lose weight" to the question "why did you walk the Camino" and still get the Compostela (uh... NO! "Religious & Spiritual" reasons only - at least thats the right answer (20 points to Griffind.... er SARAH!))
  • One can tell the clerk at the office to just change already given Compostela and for all purposes give ANY name one wants (I wonder if, say, Idi Amin Dada would work)...

In my "previous" ACW life the same type of "reverence" (if you will) was attached to the movie "Gettysburg". People forgot that it is a Historical FICTION movie based on Historical FICTION book. Some would argue crazy points with us Re-Enactors\Living Historians just because they saw it. At some point it formed a quip from us that "If its in DA MOVIE - it must be SO!"

Buen Camino to OP no matter how many Credentials he will take with him!

€149,-
Privately run albergues, casa rurales, and hotels don't require that you present a credencial but will happily stamp it for you. If you stay in albergues that are not only "oriented towards pilgrims" but "exclusively for pilgrims", such as some or all municipal albergues, parochial albergues, albergues run by Camino associations, donativos and similar, then you will have to present your credencial - because, duh, that's what the credencial had been created for in the first place.

So, if you won't stay in any albergues in these categories and if you won't request a Compostela, then you can fulfil your dream: a joint credencial. There, easy peasy, we have found a solution. 😇

2) how many pages are there for stamps on one side of a Credencial when its opened up ?

I should know the answer to the latter question but mine is folded and framed so I can't check.....

I’ve deleted my reply as I was wrong.

Last edited:
I think you need to contact the pilgrim office in Santiago and ask them. In the end, it is their decision. Oh, you already have. We'd be very interested in what they say, which is probably that each pilgrim needs their own, personal credencial.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Actually, dual names ARE allowed on the credential IF one of you is an infant. This is clearly spelled out on the Pilgrim’s Office site and the fact that they use that example as the exception means that any other attempt at two people on the credential is not allowed.

As for never being asked for your credential, that is possible by staying at non-pilgrim accommodations. However, don’t extend that belief to municipal or parochial albergues because you will be asked 100% of the time and refused entry without it. This isn’t simply a myth and my time serving as a hospitalero as well as those who have answered similarly will confirm that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, dual names ARE allowed on the credential IF one of you is an infant. By your attitude, perhaps that description fits you? This is clearly spelled out on the Pilgrim’s Office site
Just curious, where do you see this on the Pilgrim's Office website? When I search for children site:.oficinadelperegrino.com the only relevant result I get is this one which refers to the Compostela and not to the credencial:

Children who make the pilgrimage with their parents or in groups, and have received the sacrament of Communion, or have the ability to understand the meaning of the spiritual or religious nature of the Way, can receive the “Compostela”. If they are not mature enough due to their young age, they are given a special certificate with their names. In the case of infants or very young children, their names are included on the parent or accompanying adult’s “Compostela”.
Of course, this touches on the whole concept of pilgrimage and being mature and the Compostela which, it seems, is not primarily awarded with the aim of it being put on display in a frame at one's home but let's, obviously, not go there. 🫢

I had the pleasure of dealing with a lovely Portuguese family just a couple of month's ago, who had walked in from Vigo.. a young mother with her sleeping infant daughter in a sling, along with her husband, mother and brothers. The infant's mother asked me if her daughter could have a compostela of her own, the infant even had her own individual, stamped up credencial. I was delighted to write this 'special certificate'.. They were such a proud, happy little family group, I was very touched by them ..Screenshot_20230610-080626_Gallery.jpg

At the risk of being silenced, let me say: please, let's leave the rest of this conversation to the OP.
As I read through the entire thread, and trying to be careful about what I say, I see he will not let go of his question.
Volunteers in Santiago and albergues along the various caminos have given results of experience.
Hospitaleros - and I share that role - have stated that albergues dedicated to pilgrim users will definitely ask to see credenciales - have opined. Opinions based on experience - you decide on the value you wish to afford them. I do not see any sign the OP will accept any 'view'.
He wants to see the rules.
Over to the OP to return and tell us all what he has gleaned from his searchings.

Last edited:

Nope! One pilgrim one credential. That is the rule. Consider these common scenarios:

1. People walking together. What do you do when the person with the shared credential is behind you and you try to get a bed at an albergue. They request your credencial. You do not have one. No credential - no bed. If the route, and that location, are crowded that day, it can ruin you afternoon.

2. If two people share one credencial, and it becomes lost, two pilgrims are screwed. At least if two people have two identical credencials, and one is lost, the Pilgrim Office staff can examine GPS data embedded in your digital photos and determine you did in fact walk together. I have seen Compostelas issued on the strength of that information. it is not uncommon.

3. The rule is printed - albeit in Spanish in the front of the credencial.

All said, with all the various insundry stuff most all pilgrims carry, the few grams saved by not having your own credencial are meaningless. Besides, despite having several Compostelas and Distance Certificates, the most meaningful souvenir of my several Caminos is the credencial.

I can look at that document, after the fact, review the sello, and my mind drifts back to a happier time - on Camino. Many other pilgrims voice the same attitude regarding their credencials.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

As an experienced hospitalero every pilgrim wishing to stay where I am volunteering must provide their credential. No credential, no bed. I volunteer in parochial and municipal donativo (donation only) albergues. Each albergue has rules, some of which are common to the association that coordinates volunteer hospitaleros. Private albergues are also used by people who are not pilgrims but are tourists. In those albergues a credential may not be required. If you have one and want it stamped you can present your credential where you are staying and have it stamped. For the albergues where I volunteer, the credential identifies the bearer as a pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago.

You must do what you want to do. I can not answer for the Pilgrim Office. Private albergues, hotels, and paradors normally do not ask for a credential and you can make reservations with them. The type albergues where I volunteer do not accept reservations.

Buen Camino!

I've been asked many times for my credential when staying at an albergue. I was asked today. :)

It depends on what kind of albergues you stay at. Municipal, parochial, and association albergues are generally exclusively for the use of pilgrims. Some private albergues are also exclusively for pilgrims; others are open to a broader clientele. Albergues that are exclusively for pilgrims generally want to see a credential to establish that you are a pilgrim.

If you only stay at private albergues that aren't exclusive (or hotels, hostals, Casas Rurales) you won't need to show your own credential.

Just curious, where do you see this on the Pilgrim's Office website? When I search for children site:.oficinadelperegrino.com the only relevant result I get is this one which refers to the Compostela and not to the credencial:

Children who make the pilgrimage with their parents or in groups, and have received the sacrament of Communion, or have the ability to understand the meaning of the spiritual or religious nature of the Way, can receive the “Compostela”. If they are not mature enough due to their young age, they are given a special certificate with their names. In the case of infants or very young children, their names are included on the parent or accompanying adult’s “Compostela”.
Of course, this touches on the whole concept of pilgrimage and being mature and the Compostela which, it seems, is not primarily awarded with the aim of it being put on display in a frame at one's home but let's, obviously, not go there. 🫢
Sorry, meant Compostela - exactly what you quoted. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Okay, let me try again. I can’t tell you if a joint credential is a thing or not; but my concern would be, if for any reason, you got separated from your partner. What if you have to acquire separate lodging? every individual had to have a credential to “check in” to the albergues and hostels I stayed in. And also, if it were me, I’d want my own! Just sayin’.

Too expensive ;)

well it’s not actually “simple” otherwise I wouldn’t be asking a simple question about it….and it’s not actually that big a deal in reality is it….?

What I’m trying to ascertain is where it is defined as a “rule” or isn’t actually an issue tbh

Do you see my point?
It is really simple, you just don't like the answer. Rule or custom, your point is that you are "lawyering" up, Use 2 credencials, after getting the Compostela just add the other name to one of them for framing. There is no "rule" about that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually, dual names ARE allowed on the credential IF one of you is an infant.
Ah, yes that is the one single exception -- though the child has to be young enough to not qualify for a Compostela, which can only be given to a child if capable of reason, so yes only a baby or infant.

But even a five year old would need his or her own credencial.

But as to walking with a baby or infant, I just don't understand -- why not have a separate credencial?

But as to walking with a baby or infant, I just don't understand -- why not have a separate credencial?

I agree, what a cool thing to include in a child's baby book.

Don't forget that the text on the credential contains a list of conditions related to its use, followed by the text The bearer of this Credencial accepts these conditions. A baby or infant cannot do that. When a child can do so is another matter, but clearly getting a credential as a cutesy souvenir for your infant is just that. It will have no meaning in terms of getting a compostela, and I doubt it would have any real meaning in getting a bed at an albergue. I cannot imagine any hospitalero refusing to admit an infant because it didn't have a credential.

€83,-
There has been a lot of interest and response to this question. Maybe pricehedgehog should try it and see what happens. I wouldn't chance it myself though.

I cannot imagine any hospitalero refusing to admit an infant because it didn't have a credential.
Exactly -- though as to your other points about accepting conditions, parents do so for their children as a matter of course.

As a general rule at the Pilgrim Office, if a youngster has made their First Holy Communion, or has attained the age of 10 years, they are considered to be able to discern right from wrong. They are considered to understand the pilgrimage they just finished.

While they may understand it on a different level from an adult, a Compostela is commonly issued to children meeting the above criteria - provided they have a credential in their name, duty stamped along the Camino.

Absent meeting this threshold, I usually recommend obtaining a Distance Certificate in the name of the young child. This is the ultimate “show and tell” item for returning to school in the autumn. “So, how did YOU spend your school holiday?”

Hope this helps.

Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So....had a lovely chat with the Pilgrim's office

Same question asked "can you have a joint credential?" They came back with a reply that wasn't overly conclusive so I asked for more detail as they made the point over private Albergues but they essentially said...

Buenos días

La Compostela solo se obtiene individualmente, por lo que si tiene que utilizar una credencial cada persona.

Atentamente

Loosely translated to mean....

Good morning

The Compostela is only obtained individually, so each person has to use a credential.

Attentively

The thing that struck me here was two fold....just how nice it is to raise a question and then to seek clarification and receive it in a straight forward way...even when I said I wasn't needing a Compostella

Seeking clarification and challenge doesn't need to be taken as a personal attack as its providing a thorough understanding to an issue

And it that regards - I do thank Katharla for her suggestion ..my thoughts too to be honest !

As well as the reason over private Albergues didn't know that tbh...

But what they didn't suggest was :-

- I was too tight money wise to being able to walk around Spain but not wanting to frame two credentials

- they didn't cast questions over what I would do if I was to be divorced or separated from my wife

- they didn't start crying when some humour was added to the mix

- they didn't suggest I was a child....

- They didn't assume I knew who had worked in what capacity in an Albergue etc

- They didn't question why I was doing a Camino

- they didn't accuse me of "lawyering up"

- they didn't edit their responses later on, so they can't be seen anymore...cos they can!

Perhaps when you read this and feel the need post some personal comment....don't bother.

The real value of this forum is to help others by sticking to the question in hand and not assuming just cos you know you know!

I would also suggest the tags "true Pilgrim" and "Veteran" on some bios makes me seriously wonder and should be reviewed by a moderator

d8c.gif

Pricehedgehog: you asked the forum members for their opinions and they gave them. In the future, if you prefer an official answer, ask the officials and not the forum. The value of this discussion is that it illustrates the feelings behind the rules and the disadvantages/advantages of a course of action - that has tremendous value.

What I find interesting is that the final answer you received is exactly what numerous posts said already but you refused to accept before. I’m glad that the question has now been unofficially and officially answered and appreciate that the wisdom of the group matched what the Office declared.

€83,-
Pricehedgehog: you asked the forum members for their opinions and they gave them. In the future, if you prefer an official answer, ask the officials and not the forum. The value of this discussion is that it illustrates the feelings behind the rules and the disadvantages/advantages of a course of action - that has tremendous value.

What I find interesting is that the final answer you received is exactly what numerous posts said already but you refused to accept before. I’m glad that the question has now been unofficially and officially answered and appreciate that the wisdom of the group matched what the Office declared.
@Vacajoe thank you for making the effort to put a positive spin on the OP's latest response.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.