• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joost & Joostina - the Body Weight Challenge Begins

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Oh No........

I started looking on Trip Advisor for nice places to eat on the CF.... :eek:

We are soooo screwed! :(

You see on Camino #1 alone, I was happy to eat anywhere.
My dearly beloved often accuses me of eating like a Dog when hungry :oops:

I just like food! Which is obvious if you had ever met me :rolleyes:

On Camino #2, with Pat along for a 'test drive' of the Camino from Sarria, we hunted out nicer food.
We both love to eat out when travelling and love trying new dishes.
So rather than starve as she feared she might, she feasted (as I did) on some really yummy food.
(Hence the nickname Joostina was earned)

And so to Camino #3. This time from St Jean again.
And we plan to eat sensibly, and see if we can actually lose a bit of excess weight on this Caminio.

The 'boss' is somewhat nervous about the challenge ahead, particularly the first stages to Roncesvalles.
I can understand that. It's a daunting thought walking over the Pyrenees for the first time.

So I thought I would provide a little 'distraction'.
I started looking on Trip Advisor for places where we might have a nice meal, rather than just popping into the first place we see as I tend to do....

What better way to start our journey together than a memorable meal in St Jean........

Hmmmm.

I rather fear our waistlines and my wallet are going to suffer severely.

You see.......I found................

Arrambide !

A fantastic menu............
And a Michelin Star!

I'm torn.........

We are supposed to be humble Pilgrims...........
But...........maybe as a last splurge before we set out ?? :oops::oops:

Has anyone tried it?

Was it awful ? :oops:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And we plan to eat sensibly, and see if we can actually lose a bit of excess weight on this Caminio.
Call me a pessimist, but my statistics has not seen the loss of excess weight on a Camino. At least not in this millennium. The optimistic version is "muscles are heavier than fat".

Arrambide
the 115€ for the menu gourmand would keep me off for sure! I'd rather spend the money for a good nights sleep in the hotel, but I'm not you ;).
In Saint Jean I wouldn't expect classic french cuisine but the Bask/Navarra cuisine is still among the best. If you don't go to the pizza places food will be good anywhere.
Food in Orisson was good again, but the pilgrims menu in Roncesvalles was far from the "Camino del Gourmet". Afaik a-la-carte is much better.

Get a Miam-Miam Dodo guide in Saint Jean for the french way! The valuation about food is done by the French. So good means good or even better. Accomodation also appears, but not much about the walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back