• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joost & Joostina - the Body Weight Challenge Begins

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Oh No........

I started looking on Trip Advisor for nice places to eat on the CF.... :eek:

We are soooo screwed! :(

You see on Camino #1 alone, I was happy to eat anywhere.
My dearly beloved often accuses me of eating like a Dog when hungry :oops:

I just like food! Which is obvious if you had ever met me :rolleyes:

On Camino #2, with Pat along for a 'test drive' of the Camino from Sarria, we hunted out nicer food.
We both love to eat out when travelling and love trying new dishes.
So rather than starve as she feared she might, she feasted (as I did) on some really yummy food.
(Hence the nickname Joostina was earned)

And so to Camino #3. This time from St Jean again.
And we plan to eat sensibly, and see if we can actually lose a bit of excess weight on this Caminio.

The 'boss' is somewhat nervous about the challenge ahead, particularly the first stages to Roncesvalles.
I can understand that. It's a daunting thought walking over the Pyrenees for the first time.

So I thought I would provide a little 'distraction'.
I started looking on Trip Advisor for places where we might have a nice meal, rather than just popping into the first place we see as I tend to do....

What better way to start our journey together than a memorable meal in St Jean........

Hmmmm.

I rather fear our waistlines and my wallet are going to suffer severely.

You see.......I found................

Arrambide !

A fantastic menu............
And a Michelin Star!

I'm torn.........

We are supposed to be humble Pilgrims...........
But...........maybe as a last splurge before we set out ?? :oops::oops:

Has anyone tried it?

Was it awful ? :oops:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
And we plan to eat sensibly, and see if we can actually lose a bit of excess weight on this Caminio.
Call me a pessimist, but my statistics has not seen the loss of excess weight on a Camino. At least not in this millennium. The optimistic version is "muscles are heavier than fat".

Arrambide
the 115€ for the menu gourmand would keep me off for sure! I'd rather spend the money for a good nights sleep in the hotel, but I'm not you ;).
In Saint Jean I wouldn't expect classic french cuisine but the Bask/Navarra cuisine is still among the best. If you don't go to the pizza places food will be good anywhere.
Food in Orisson was good again, but the pilgrims menu in Roncesvalles was far from the "Camino del Gourmet". Afaik a-la-carte is much better.

Get a Miam-Miam Dodo guide in Saint Jean for the french way! The valuation about food is done by the French. So good means good or even better. Accomodation also appears, but not much about the walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back