• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jo's packing list

I hope it's ok to post my list here to get some feedback on it. I'm walking from the end of November this year to the beginning of January next year.

Camino Packing List

I will be wearing:

Water/wind/rain proof jacket 620g
Thermal top 180g
Thermal pants 200g
Quick-drying pants 340g
Long-sleeved shirt 190g
Fleece jacket 420g
Underwear ?
Thin under socks 30g
Wool hiking socks 110g
Hiking boots 1120g

I will have in my pack: (weight 1600g)

Clothes:
Second thermal top 115g
Second thermal pants 170g
Extra pants 240g
Fleece jumper 260g
Underwear (bra and underpants) 50g
Wool socks 110g
Thin socks 30g

Total weight so far: 2575g

Big stuff:
Sleeping bag (rated to -5 degrees) 1300g
Quick drying towel 190g
Camera, charger, spare battery and SD card 300g
Power adapter 40g
Torch 80g
Swiss army knife 110g
Lightweight canvas shoes 300g
Wool gloves 40g

New weight: 4935g

Unknown weight:

Basic first aid stuff
Toiletries

Some explanations:
The pack is a Deuter Futura Pro 38L pack, and is very comfortable. Because I live in a regional town I wasn't able to access a huge range of packs, so this was the best one and it works for me.

The extra fleece jumper is meant for the plane, since I'm flying for close to 23 hours and my jacket has a zip which can get uncomfortable sitting. I'm not sure whether I'll keep it when I'm walking.

The canvas shoes are for after walking, town and albergue. It would be a bit cold for crocs or sandals I think but I would like something other than my boots.

As for first aid and toiletries, what does everyone take?

~Jo :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jo - I have the backpack list for a male and female winter pilgrims. If you are interested in a copy, please mail me - sillydoll at gmail.com

Hi Jo,

You might consider taking an extra pair of socks.
If one of your socks get lost in the process of washing together with other pilgrims you've got some kind of problem. (This almost happend to a collegue-pilgrim in Boadilla del Camino).
And also: if you won't get them dried overnight you're left with moist socks.

Additional advice:
Clean socks _every_ day! I did so, and I didn't hava any blisters. (no guarantee though)

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took three pairs of light woollen socks and two pairs of liners for a mid-April start. The third pair of socks I used with my sandles when I had finished walking for the day, and I basically tried to keep them dry and warm, even when it was snowing outside :shock: Then as the season moved on and it warmed up, I just wore the sandles in the afternoons.....
Margaret

dutchpilgrim said:
If one of your socks get lost in the process of washing together with other pilgrims you've got some kind of problem. (This almost happend to a collegue-pilgrim in Boadilla del Camino).
And also: if you won't get them dried overnight you're left with moist socks.

You mean take three pairs of socks? I am wearing one pair, remember.

Margaret, how many layers were you wearing while it was snowing? I don't know if it will but I want to be prepared.

~jo

Artemisofephesus said:
dutchpilgrim said:

You mean take three pairs of socks? I am wearing one pair, remember.
~jo
Yep.

One pair in the shoes and two pairs in the back-pack.
I even carried three pairs in my back-pack.
It allowed me to skip laundry on a very, very rainy day.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I still found the one layer of socks and one liner layer was warm enough for me when it was snowing, but I could have squashed on another pair if I had needed to. It was the day on the Aubrac Plateau when all the rest of me got drenched that I was the coldest. I had adopted the European long trousers with rain pants practice that day. It didn't work! My rain pants were only 'showerproof' really, and so my long pants also got wet, and I felt very cold. Next day I went back to usual Kiwi practice and wore my polyprop leggings under my shorts and it worked better. May have looked weird to everyone else, but kept me a lot warmer!!!
Margaret

Hey Jo,
I forgot to ask you -- What brand Thermal pants and Quick-drying pants are you bringing? I've been asking around for lightweight/quick-drying pants and everyone sends me to the summer clothing section (think nylon). Any good thoughts?

Toiletries-this is where weight creeps up on you. Mine consistede of a bar of soap,razor,toothpaste+brush. So many people I saw,especially women,carried a mini chemist with them-shampoo,conditioner,cleanser,moisturiser etc-not necessary.Take the minimum and restock in france/spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jonnie Walker...a minor point,I buy a new toothbrush each camino. The ones that have the brush part housed in the plastic handle-this makes for a compact (about 3-4")package and also keeps the brush clean.

I forgot to ask you -- What brand Thermal pants and Quick-drying pants are you bringing? I've been asking around for lightweight/quick-drying pants and everyone sends me to the summer clothing section (think nylon). Any good thoughts?

I have two pairs of thermals. One is just a normal, lightweight cotton set, the other has a top from Lowe Alpine, which is very nice (soft, warm and light) and pants that are from Kathmandu. I got both of them on sale, they were pretty expensive. But I think they're all very nice. There's also the option of getting polypropylene (spelling?) ones or merino ones, but I found that merino ones were really scratchy (I think that's a personal preference, a lot of people like them) and the polyprops were too stiff (especially the bottoms).

As for the pants, one pair is a Columbia brand and the other is a Gondwana brand. I think Gondwana is an Australian brand, but Columbia is worldwide. They're both awesome. (I love high-tech clothes!)

Toiletries-this is where weight creeps up on you. Mine consistede of a bar of soap,razor,toothpaste+brush. So many people I saw,especially women,carried a mini chemist with them-shampoo,conditioner,cleanser,moisturiser etc-not necessary.Take the minimum and restock in france/spain.

Yeah, I know! My friend who I'm walking with is a bit like this, she has four or five little travel sized bottles of different things... I'm taking a little 100ml bottle of this stuff called Wilderness Wash (you can use it as soap, shampoo, and clothes detergent and it works really well - plus, it's pretty cheap!) a toothbrush, a small tube of toothpaste, a comb, some hair ties, maybe a small lipbalm because I get chapped lips very quickly on a change of climate. (It was 38 degrees - celsius - here yesterday and I'm guessing by the time I'm over there it will probably be a 30 degree difference. Or more.) That's about it.

In other news, I found another shirt yesterday on sale - it's a longsleeved wool/polyester mix, really warm and also really light. And wicking and quick-drying and all that stuff as well. Pretty awesome.

QUESTION: First aid stuff - what does everyone suggest taking? I know I'll be able to buy stuff in Spain as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I took 6 paracetamol's-didn't use them. 6 Imodium tablets-didn't use them.Some blister plasters-didn't need them,gave them away.That's my camino medecine chest...too much?

JohnnieWalker said:
Ah Omar - such an eye for detail. I'm now sporting a nice folding toothbrush available from Boots. It didn't have the fun of cutting the old one in half though :)

You could get one with a large handle, cut it in half and then hollow out the discarded end so that the brush fits inside. Double fun.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
sound thinking Andy D and I was going to ask Jonnie Walker what that tube thing was at the back (we won't even mention the Nivea)

If you pull out every third bristle on the toothbrush, you cut the bristle weight by 1/3, and your teeth will still be cleaned and gums stimulated.

I like that Falc ! and so true - and if you pull out every third tooth you will only need two thirds of a toothbrush ..
ermmm .. there's a fault in my logic somewhere I think ... :|

I just love these packing list threads ... November to January? - Exciting .. perhaps an emergency shelter thing? .. they don't weigh much.

Minimalise the 1st aid kit but take a sewing kit.

I like Johnnie's minimalist toiletry though would most likely lose the clippers and use the scissors on the Victorinox knife.
Beard growing could be a good thing in that season (if male) ... I tended to use a smear of washing up liquid for washing hair - not that I have much of it on my head (hair) ..

I've never trekked in winter - what is the worst thing - getting wet or getting cold? (or getting lost :shock: )

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Omar and Johnnie..... you two could form a new club...the Extreme Packers Club. I am sure Falcon could think of other useful ways for you to save weight. Taking out every third bristle was brilliant. But as for me and mine, I am quite happy to carry the shampoo bottle!!!!

hewink said:
----- What brand Thermal pants and Quick-drying pants are you bringing? I've been asking around for lightweight/quick-drying pants and everyone sends me to the summer clothing section (think nylon). Any good thoughts?
Think 'quick drying' rather than thick and warm. I have Rohan wicking undies (3prs) and Trekmate wicking longjohns (1pr) for if it is really cold, and they will double as pyjama bottoms. Also Rohan wicking T-shirt/vest and Trekemate longsleeve T-shirt (pyjama top) for cold days. All lightweight,quick drying etc and so far in practise walks they have kept me warm. Sold here in winter or summer for layering. They are technical, poyester. I bought larger sizes than normal, for the longjohns and long sleeved T, so that I can wear them over my undies/short sleeve T and still have real ease of movement
Buen camino,
Tia Valeria

Johnniewalker,or any others...
How do you take your razor on the airplane?
If you take your rucsack as cabin luggage, it cannot include the razor, (or knife, for that matter).

Treking poles have to go as checked luggage so I put them in a bag along with my knife and razor.
The rest of my kit comes in the airplane cabin with me. If my treking poles get lost in baggage handling, I would just walk away without them... My rucksack can't get lost because I have it with me.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've never had any problem taking a safety razor on a plane-and I take ALL my luggage on a plane. By the way if the poles get lost and you would walk away without them then why take them?

a couple of comments...

Cotton clothes of any type are to be avoided I think. They don't insulate when wet and take a long time to dry out.

And about taking a razor. I bought some inexpensive disposables when I arrived. No problem.

John

Cotton clothes of any type are to be avoided I think. They don't insulate when wet and take a long time to dry out.

I went back and checked my thermals, they're actually polyester, not cotton. Felt like cotton to me. But I've worn them as pyjamas camping and washed them, they dried very fast even though they aren't specifically quick-drying.

To Omar and Johnniewalker:

You guys are waaay past obsessive. :lol:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Omar and Johnnie can I ask do you both use Occam's razor for your facial hair? :lol:

(entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem!)

Nell

I've just been googling light-weight dentures. They are lighter than real teeth and you can clean them while in the shower, so you don't need a toothbrush. A trip to the dentist Omar and Johnny?
It might also mean that you will have an excuse not to eat lomo.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.