• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joseph Fiennes taking family on Camino

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I just happened to turn on the TV this morning and "Live with Kelly and Ryan" was on with Joseph Fiennes as a guest. The first thing that they talked about was his upcoming pilgrimage to Santiago de Compestela with his family. His wife's family is from Galicia, and he heaped praise on the entire region. He said that he was really looking forward to the Pulpo :D. He also talked briefly about the history and significance of the Camino.

When he said that he and the family would walk about 10 miles a day the hosts asked him if they couldn't just take an Uber, and he replied that would be missing the point and the experience of the pilgrimage.
Here's some info on Fiennes and his wife: https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...urensano-shakespeare/0003_201602G12P28994.htm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perfect timing .... it airs here in a few minutes so I've set my DVR! Thanks for mentioning it!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just happened to turn on the TV this morning and "Live with Kelly and Ryan" was on with Joseph Fiennes as a guest. The first thing that they talked about was his upcoming pilgrimage to Santiago de Compestela with his family. His wife's family is from Galicia, and he heaped praise on the entire region. He said that he was really looking forward to the Pulpo :D. He also talked briefly about the history and significance of the Camino.

When he said that he and the family would walk about 10 miles a day the hosts asked him if they couldn't just take an Uber, and he replied that would be missing the point and the experience of the pilgrimage.
Here's some info on Fiennes and his wife: https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...urensano-shakespeare/0003_201602G12P28994.htm

I saw that too. He also said pulpo was squid...he'll be surprised when it's not calamari ...lol I was pleased to see he tried to keep the experience ' pilgrimage' and respectful, despite the jokes from the hosts.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just watched the DVR - he did say squid! But you can tell he was really excited about this pilgrimage, loves Galicia, and is looking forward to sharing this experience with their kids. I'm sure many people googled "Santiago de Compostela" after watching this!

Last edited:
His wife is a Swiss Miss beauty contestant with a Spanish name. His children are fairly young, but that may be a big plus. I took my grandson when he was 4 1/2 years old, and he loved it! I know all the playgrounds between Leon and Santiago, a knowledge base that I may never have to use again. Being a movie "star" does not preclude anyone from the benefits of the Camino. After reading " The Camino" by Shirley MacLaine, I hope he can be anonymous. There is nothing like a beard and Spanish-speaking wife to make you blend in!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
His wife is a Swiss Miss beauty contestant with a Spanish name. His children are fairly young, but that may be a big plus. I took my grandson when he was 4 1/2 years old, and he loved it! I know all the playgrounds between Leon and Santiago, a knowledge base that I may never have to use again. Being a movie "star" does not preclude anyone from the benefits of the Camino. After reading " The Camino" by Shirley MacLaine, I hope he can be anonymous. There is nothing like a beard and Spanish-speaking wife to make you blend in!!
I'm hoping that he can be anonymous and blend in Falcon ... but I wonder - at least for US, UK and Australian pilgrims and other nationalities who've seen his recent work - he is rather a well-known face at the moment because of his character in the excellent, but disturbing, Handmaid's Tale. I just don't know how actors can take on difficult roles such as the one he took on in this case ... I guess it's just what they do. What a balm and what a leveller the Camino will be. Such good news to hear that he and his family are making the pilgrimage.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
PS - 'Loved, just loved him in Shakespeare in Love! Time to dust off the DVD and watch it again! And play the soundtrack CD! Guess who really loved this movie! Not as much as The Way though!

I believe his brother Ralph (pronounced Raeph) did it a couple of years ago - also an actor, he played the Nazi commandant in Schindler's List.

I'd love to see what they make of his Compostela - full name: Joseph Alberic Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes

I believe his brother Ralph (pronounced Raeph) did it a couple of years ago - also an actor, he played the Nazi commandant in Schindler's List.

I'd love to see what they make of his Compostela - full name: Joseph Alberic Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes
Yup I hope they try to write out the full name. Maybe the last 3 are a family name. The other 2 are standard

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yup I hope they try to write out the full name. Maybe the last 3 are a family name. The other 2 are standard
Yes, the Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes bit has been built up over the past 600 years (i.e. it's a Super-Posh family ;))

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why inevitable? It appears he is making a family journey as opposed to MacLaine's wacked out flight of fancy.
I have a question.
Just a question as I have never read this book. I know she has some very unconventional ideas as well as being a wonderful actor. I have thought about reading he book. Why are you of the opinion that the book is a “wacked our flight of fancy”. Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't want to put you off and I'm a firm believer in not criticising something unless you've tried it (with obvious exceptions such as racism, homophobia etc.). I did try it and found it to be the most put-downable book I've ever encountered.

Having not finished it I decided to take a random review - there were 36 on the site I chose, I took one at random near the middle:

"We walked the Camino in 1997 and again in 2002. Ms. MacLaine's self-absorbed hallucinatory spiritual mumbo jumbo only goes to cover up a badly written and even more poorly edited book. It serves little, if any, value to those seeking to understand the Camino to Santiago or any of several other topics she would fein to understand (Einstein's theories, history of Spain, etc). Her experience, if this really was her experience, will not be your experience. But if you like extraterrestrial time travel pseudo-spiritual sci-fi...
If you walk the Camino, (unlike Shirley) you will not find yourself entering Burgos three different times (bad writing or bad editing?), you will encounter the places she describes in their proper locations, you are unlikely to have to evade the media or be offered free rooms, food and rides. And you will likely encounter Spanish dogs as we did, sleeping in the square in the mid-day sun, not lunging at your throat from around every corner.
But do consider the Camino as the opportunity for an incredible life experience, just seek other sources of information.
Can I have my money back please?"

But, as they say, your mileage may vary. Knock yourself out, I hope you enjoy it ;)

My views on Paulo Coelho's The Pilgrimage are just as bad but at least he admits he gave up on the Camino and went on from O Cebreiro to SdC by transport!

Last edited:
I liked how he talked about it being a Pilgrimage and wanting to connect his kids to their heritage.
Joseph and Ralph Fiennes mother, Jennifer Lash, wrote a wonderful book,
On Pilgrimage, about her travels to several holy sites one being Santiago de Compostela. It's probably still in print. Get it if you can and read it. Very inspirational.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Who cares what Joseph Fiennes or anybody else for that matter is doing or not doing; just do your own thing. Who or what you are is completely irrelevant on a camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.