• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Journey without maps?

blister-shy

How easy is it to navigate the early stages of the Camino Frances without a map? And would anyone know whether it's possible to buy an english-language guidebook in Pamplona - and if so where?
Many thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
If you're taking the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees the weather can be very unpredictable so you'd be better off with a map for the stage from SJPP to Roncesvalles. You can get a free outline map of the route from the in the Pilgrims office on Rue de Citadelle in St Jean Pied de Port.
Otherwise the signage is clear and easy to follow. Some pilgrims don't take any maps or guides at all but I liked to have the historical and other knowledge a guide provided including distances and elevations and my walking partner loves maps. The guide we had also encouraged us to make some really worthwhile detours to Eunate, Suso, Yuso and Cana that we wouldn't have visited otherwise and it also gave alternatives to the 'route direct' that were well worth taking.
I know someone who bought the John Brierley guide in an english language bookshop in Legrono (not sure of it's name or exact location) and heard that someone had picked a copy up in Burgos but not sure where.
Nell

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's good and bad news - Happy to hear that the signage is good, but I love maps, don't have one and doubt I have time to get one - I'm starting in Pamplona next week and ending somewhere near Legrono, by which point that bookshop will be a bit late.
Nell - the unpredictable weather comment has got me worrying. I was hoping I might be able to get away with just a silk sleeping bag liner. Am I being optimistic? I'm in the Middle East at the moment, and it's difficult to remember what European nights are like in early September. Should I be trying to squeeze a sleeping bag into my backpack?
Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Sorry that my comment got you worrying of course crossing any mountain range one must expect a little of the unexpected weather wise and for anyone crossing the Pyrenees I'd just check with the pilgrims office and or the tourist office before they head off.
But you're starting after the Pyrenees in Pamplona and the terrain between it and Logrono is gorgeous and rolling rather than mountainous. The other good news is that September and October apparently provide the most stable weather conditions of all for pilgrims so you should be sauntering along in balmy weather with warm days and cool nights...pure bliss ! I'm not speaking from personal experience as I walked the CF in early Spring but that's what a friend found when walking the CF in September about 4 years ago and her description fits with what most of the guides report.
Silk liners are warm but if it gets too chilly you can 'dress up' to go to bed and/or avail of the blankets that are on offer in most of the albergues. Using a hat or scarf to keeping your head covered really saves on heat loss in chilly sleeping conditions with the additional upside of waking up with an award winning 'bed head' guaranteed to raise a smile from everyone you meet :lol: .The other alternative, and I'm afraid my personal favorite, is to support the local economy by firing up your inner engine with some Rioja before retiring to bed :oops:

Have a wonderful journey
Nell

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.