• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Judgement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juspassinthrough

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Inglés 2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Camino Aragonés (2023?)
I apologize for the Live from Camino prefix, limited choices and this is not about a Hazard.

On Monday, Jan. 11th, @biaritzdon posted a story about a German Pilgrim having been successfully rescued as he tried to cross the Pyrenees from SJPP to Roncesvalles. After reading his post, I commented with the question (paraphrasing), why under the current circumstances was anyone walking the Camino? On Wednesday, I received a notification from an unidentified Mod that it was taken down because “We are trying to keep threads free of the Judgement about walking the Camino” and “this is off topic”. That thread is now closed but still available, without my post (Pilgrim Rescue near Roncesvalles 6/1/21).

About 3 years ago, I posted a comment about leaving my bandana at Finisterra and quickly it was pointed out by a forum member that we should think about doing that because if everyone did it, someone would need to clean up a lot of refuse. Good point and while I felt a bit embarrassed I didn’t feel judged and it reminded me that regardless of my motivations, my actions have consequences. At 64, being embarrassed is not the worst thing that I have or will endure.

Fast forward to this week. Someone assumed they understood my intent, they did not. They also assumed that I was judging this Pilgrim, I was not, and I do not, as I’m in no position to judge anyone except myself.

My fair question, posed to all readers asked us to be aware that our actions and decisions have consequences for each of us and for others. Thankfully in this situation, everyone will arrive back to their loved ones safely.

I appreciate the need to moderate this and any forum and we’ve all read posts which were clearly out of line and way off topic. I don’t believe that posing a question about why anyone (not specifically this unnamed Pilgrim) was walking the Camino in the middle of a global pandemic (first and foremost), but compounded by a snowstorm, over a closed pass and needing to be rescued was out of line, judgmental or off topic, I believe it was exactly on topic. Additionally, I’ve tried to thoughtfully consider my response and if I would respond at all. Because assumptions were made about my intent and the content of my character, I decided a response was in order.

Sadly, I expect that this response will be taken down too and it may result in my being blackballed, so I want to thank the many contributors, past and present, who have made this a lively and valuable source of information and inspiration. @davebug, @David, @Camino Chrissy , @alexwalker to name a few but there were/are many, many others. For me, I wish you all Happy Trails (Roy Rogers) or as we Pilgrims know it, Buen Camino.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Glamgrrl

Travel318
I apologize for the Live from Camino prefix, limited choices and this is not about a Hazard.

On Monday, Jan. 11th, @biaritzdon posted a story about a German Pilgrim having been successfully rescued as he tried to cross the Pyrenees from SJPP to Roncesvalles. After reading his post, I commented with the question (paraphrasing), why under the current circumstances was anyone walking the Camino? On Wednesday, I received a notification from an unidentified Mod that it was taken down because “We are trying to keep threads free of the Judgement about walking the Camino” and “this is off topic”. That thread is now closed but still available, without my post (Pilgrim Rescue near Roncesvalles 6/1/21).

About 3 years ago, I posted a comment about leaving my bandana at Finisterra and quickly it was pointed out by @SabineP that we should think about doing that because if everyone did it, someone would need to clean up a lot of refuse. Good point and while I felt a bit embarrassed I didn’t feel judged and it reminded me that regardless of my motivations, my actions have consequences. At 64, being embarrassed is not the worst thing that I have or will endure.

Fast forward to this week. Someone assumed they understood my intent, they did not. They also assumed that I was judging this Pilgrim, I was not, and I do not, as I’m in no position to judge anyone except myself.

Like @SabineP, my fair question, posed to all readers asked us to be aware that our actions and decisions have consequences for each of us and for others. Thankfully in this situation, everyone will arrive back to their loved ones safely.

I appreciate the need to moderate this and any forum and we’ve all read posts which were clearly out of line and way off topic. I don’t believe that posing a question about why anyone (not specifically this unnamed Pilgrim) was walking the Camino in the middle of a global pandemic (first and foremost), but compounded by a snowstorm, over a closed pass and needing to be rescued was out of line, judgmental or off topic, I believe it was exactly on topic. Additionally, I’ve tried to thoughtfully consider my response and if I would respond at all. Because assumptions were made about my intent and the content of my character, I decided a response was in order.

Sadly, I expect that this response will be taken down too and it may result in my being blackballed, so I want to thank the many contributors, past and present, who have made this a lively and valuable source of information and inspiration. @davebug, @David, @SabineP , @Camino Chrissy , @alexwalker to name a few but there were/are many, many others. For me, I wish you all Happy Trails (Roy Rogers) or as we Pilgrims know it, Buen Camino.
You might have responded with what many thought. I read further into original post and learned that they had taken the lower route, and had fallen into a ravine apparently on the descent into Roncavalles. I’m not sure why these pilgrims chose to walk, but I understood the route to be open. The pilgrims got lost/disoriented in the weather. The survivor who called for help was close to the road when located. So I ended up understanding that it was an unfortunate and life costing accident that also put rescuers at risk. This happens anywhere when pilgrims, adventurers and outdoor enthusiasts do activity and things go wrong. Frequently rescuers take risks to save them. So in the end, you did judge them, as did I (not in print). Difference was that I researched further and let more information come in.

Oh boy. I love a quiet afternoon on the forum. @Juspassinthrough I'm sure you are aware that Forum rules proscribe the discussion of moderator decisions on the open forum so I'm not sure what your intention was other than to provoke your anticipated response. Take it up with Ivar if you feel hard done by.

@Glamgrrl you are referring to a completely different story. The solo Pilgrim (I use the word lightly) rescued in Navarra this week was on the CLOSED Route Napoleon.

[edited on advice from @henrythedog ]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.