• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jul 11 2015 in Granon at "hippie hostel" also..

LakeMcD

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15' Portuguese 16' GR10/Norte/Primitivo 17' Chemin LePuy 18' Salvador/Prim/Kerry Way 19'
the older albergue in Ledigos and finally at municiple albergue in Villacazar.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bed bugs are mobile. One possibility is that you are carrying them with you! At the end of your camino, you need a strategy to keep them from going home with you. Your family will be grateful if you leave them all back in Spain. Bed bug eggs can endure for several months. If you have been bitten, there may be eggs anywhere in your equipment.

Good luck escaping them! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's important you do not carry them along with you.
Stop now and get rid of them!
Take EVERYTHING out of your pack and wash it in hot water and hot dryer.
Either spray the pack inside and out with insecticide or put it in a black garbage bag in direct sun for several hours.
Do the same with your boots.
You do NOT want to carry them along the Camino and you sure as heck don't want to carry them home with you!
All it takes is two hiding bugs and you have an infestation.

See my blog:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

Also be aware that the spots sometimes take several days to develop, so it is hard to know exactly when you were bitten. Everyone's reaction is different.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed at Sonrisas. Didn't notice them until the following morning.

How have You dealt with them & how are your shoes holding up?
Keith
. Washed everything in hot several times. Hung packs in the sun. Shoes are great no blisters, the thin smart wool socks are disappointing, hole after the 3rd day and now ever sock has a hole at the toe area. In Leon now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Off topic: I will arrive Santiago on July 24th Friday of St James festival/feast. What should I expect? Do I need to make reservations ahead of time? Please advise.

Off topic: I will arrive Santiago on July 24th Friday of St James festival/feast. What should I expect? Do I need to make reservations ahead of time? Please advise.
When I arrived no holiday but many tourists book ahead, if for no other reason you will have sheets, soap, towels a regular back to normal. You will need to start adjusting back. As it will take more time than you realize. The hard part saying goodbye To those with you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is well known that this donotivo private albergue is having pilgrims leave with bites.

As is the one opposite the church in villafranca del bierzo.

I squashed a blood engorged bed bug in fromista i had three bites. They had cats wandering about inside the albergue spreading them around.

Funnily enough i recovered from the bites within a week where as my previous attack a year ago took months to clear up.

They had cats wandering about inside the albergue spreading them around.
It is unlikely that Bed-bugs are using Cats as a vector there are remarkably few cats hiking the Caminos and carrying bugs from Albergue to Albergue. Bugs are a parasite of Humans, not felines. Their preferred method of transport is a pilgrim. Let us hope there is sufficient understanding of the "boil"-wash and black-bag bake to inhibit the spread. Please refer any-one who appears to have encountered the buggrs here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/bed-bugs.119/

Let us hope there is sufficient understanding of the "boil"-wash and black-bag bake
Yes!
Washed everything in hot several times. Hung packs in the sun.
Washing in hot, and hanging in the sun will not necessarily work. The heat must adequate and long enough so the bugs are cooked at 55C for 20 minutes. The black-bag bake involves a few hours with the items closed in a black plastic in the hot sun.

They had cats wandering about inside the albergue spreading them around.
This would be a first for bedbugs! But it is true that flea bites can be similar.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is unlikely that Bed-bugs are using Cats as a vector there are remarkably few cats hiking the Caminos and carrying bugs from Albergue to Albergue. Bugs are a parasite of Humans, not felines. Their preferred method of transport is a pilgrim. Let us hope there is sufficient understanding of the "boil"-wash and black-bag bake to inhibit the spread. Please refer any-one who appears to have encountered the buggrs here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/bed-bugs.119/
They are spreading them around the albergue as they move around the beds and dormitory. They are spreading them within the albergue.

Just saying the cat can bus bed bugs fom the ground floor of the albergue to the 2nd story of the albergue expanding the geography of the little bitters

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just saying the cat can bus bed bugs fom the ground floor of the albergue to the 2nd story of the albergue expanding the geography of the little bitters
Bed bugs feed at night and don't stay on their 'host' after they have fed, but find a nice dark spot for the day. They are not like fleas or ticks, that remain on their host during the daytime. That and the fact that they prefer humans would indicate it is very unlikely for cats to be the problem you suggest.

The one i squashed into a blood spot on my bed in formista was waltzing across the sheet at 730 am it was a light baise color.

Yes, they walk, they don't fly.
They suck the blood, then run and hide in a dark place.
They do not stay on the host like a flea.
It's very doubtful cats are carrying the bugs.
More likely, they're being transported in the packs and clothing and shoes of pilgrims.

€46,-
Bedbugs have their own legs and have a proven ability to expand their territory very well without assistance from cats. But if they did hitch a ride on a cat, they might easily be transported out the door.

Sort of like me.
If there's steak around, I'm not going to eat liver.
However, if liver (cat) is all there is to eat . . .

ouch - sorry to hear about that bloody hassle. those bites hurt and linger .... hope you can be 'liberated' of those pesky buggers very soon and find only 'clean' places.

regarding your arrival in SdC -- reserve ahead of time - it probably will get mega busy there before the special Feast Day.
you might enjoy the Seminario Mejor - right next to the catedrale.
Santiago de Compostela:
Hospedería San Martín Pinario · Seminario Mayor · Plaza de la Inmaculada nº 3 15704 Santiago de Compostela · Tlf:. (+34) 981 560 282 reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu -
their have a 'pilgrims floor' - and also single rooms (more expensive) - and a yummy breakfast buffet included in room fee.
very best wishes ! buen camino -

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm on the Camino now, currently enjoying a cola in the garden of the albergue 'En El Camino' in Boadilla. So far I have seen no bed bugs nor talked to anyone who has been bitten. Maybe the OP has had bad luck. Will be staying in Fromista tonight so will look out for them.

There don't appear to be so many pilgrims on the Camino this July as most places I have seen so far have been more than half empty.

There don't appear to be so many pilgrims on the Camino this July
There are "humps" in the number of pilgrims, but yesterday was the largest July day since the Holy Year for Compostelas in Santiago. The heat did not keep pilgrims away! Bless your luck, and stay between crowds. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are "humps" in the number of pilgrims, but yesterday was the largest July day since the Holy Year for Compostelas in Santiago. The heat did not keep pilgrims away! Bless your luck, and stay between crowds. :)

Yes, I must be in a lucky trough. :) I am very surprised how quiet everything has been and 2 hospitaleros have told me they are sure things will pick up after San Fermin.
No doubt the bed bugs are waiting just along the path ahead somewhere and will report back if I come across any.

No doubt the bed bugs are waiting just along the path ahead somewhere and will report back if I come across any.
If you do find them, don't forget to tell the hospitaleros or management. They can do something about breaking the cycle, but not if they are kept on the dark.

Am I a magnet or what. Walked to Villar de Mazarife. 2 out of 3 albergues full checked into San Antonio de Padua. Main room was full so we took beds in one of the 4 bunk rooms, checked the beds and you guessed it, took picture while my companion fetched the hospatilero, she was nice and offered us beds in another 4 bunk room, while an older host was pretty angry with us and just wanted us to leave, showing us some certificate of compliance. He was really upset when, we along with 2 others staying in the next room , found another big fat one.

All four of us along with several others checked out. They wouldn't refund any money to one of the gals because she had taken a shower. By now the guy was yelling at us on the porch and was not the least bit helpful in finding us alternate accommodations. We ended up walking the 4-5K to the albergue in Villadangos.

Interesting thing was also that of the 3 hospatileros there, besides dealing with us, no one ralleyed to hunt the critters down or spray the room; perhaps that comes later.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
no one ralleyed to hunt the critters down or spray the room
It must be very frustrating to hospitaleros to know how to manage this situation, which has been getting worse and worse in recent years. (Not that there is any excuse for the rudeness!) They can't just run around spraying everything in sight. There needs to be a methodical approach or else they are just chasing the critters into their hiding places - not something they can do when pilgrims are occupying the room. They would have to close for a day (or 2?) to do it properly and they probably barely make ends meet anyway.

Even disinfecting my own belongings requires some organization and care. I have encountered bedbugs in 2 out of 2 caminos, so now my strategy is to organize my things to reduce risk of carrying them, and to make the decontamination routine as simple as possible.

Sometimes people don't want to talk about having bed bug bites - there is a bit of stigma.

My sympathies to you in your itchiness! I hope you are done with them for this trip.

It's a bit frustrating, but on the whole I've no other body ailments besides flea bites to deal with, no blisters, knees ankles and legs are all good.

It's just part of the experience. Many other wonderful things to offset the bugs.

Last edited:
Sort of like me.
If there's steak around, I'm not going to eat liver.
However, if liver (cat) is all there is to eat . . .

I heard of one bed bug that bit a pilgrim and died of cihrossis of the liver.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's a bit frustrating, but on the whole I've no other body ailments besides flea bites to deal with, no blisters, knees ankles and legs are all good.

It's just part of the experience. Many other wonderful things to offset the bugs.
Are they worse than a horse fly bite or is it the sheer amount of bites you receive? I am just trying to get an idea how bad or irritating the bites are, something comparable.

The problem is not so much the level of pain or number of bites. Everyone reacts differently but they are not usually too painful - small localised swelling and itching usually starts some time later. Less painful than mosquitoes for example. In a way that makes them more difficult to deal with. You may not spot them for some time. The big problem is that they hide very effectively in clothing, rucksacks and anywhere dark and can multiply at a worrying rate. If you carry them with you and they then infest your home eradication can be extremely difficult and expensive. Very durable and tenacious little ******* !

€46,-
Washing your gear and laying it out in the sun to dry (even in a black garbage bag) is not sufficient. It takes temperatures of at least 60C to kill bedbug eggs. Use a clothes drier. Put your gear in and turn up the heat. Don't bother to wash it - it will heat up faster and hotter if it is dry. Find a drier large enough for your backpack and do it, too.

Washing your gear and laying it out in the sun to dry (even in a black garbage bag) is not sufficient. It takes temperatures of at least 60C to kill bedbug eggs. Use a clothes drier. Put your gear in and turn up the heat. Don't bother to wash it - it will heat up faster and hotter if it is dry. Find a drier large enough for your backpack and do it, too.
Any solutions one can buy to soak everything in? The problems I had with dryers & heat on the Camino would not always work.

Are they worse than a horse fly bite or is it the sheer amount of bites you receive? I am just trying to get an idea how bad or irritating the bites are, something comparable.

MT, a quick Google search on bedbug bites will show you the great variety of reactions to bites.
They can be small, like a mosquito bite or huge.
Many of what I've seen on the Camino are HUGE, RED, HOT bites, with wheals as large as or larger than a quarter, sometimes sending people to hospital.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any solutions one can buy to soak everything in?
You could probably spray every item with permethrin or even soak everything in bleach (just guessing here). However, there isn't much research on effectiveness of this and what concentrations would be needed. It would also be a pain to do while traveling! Another problem would then be trying to dry all that stuff that was soaked, including sleeping bag! Temperature is the simplest solution. To kill the bedbugs at all stages, you need a particular temperature for a certain time. That's the reason you might want to put dry clothes/sleeping bag into the dryer as @craigmiller suggests, rather than washing first. It will reach the right temperature much faster and thus have a longer time at whatever the dryer's hottest temperature is. That is probably your best solution on the Camino.

MT, a quick Google search on bedbug bites will show you the great variety of reactions to bites.
They can be small, like a mosquito bite or huge.
Many of what I've seen on the Camino are HUGE, RED, HOT bites, with wheals as large as or larger than a quarter, sometimes sending people to hospital.
I just looked at your very good instructions on dealing with these bugs your pictures are great! I am amazed so many people choose to walk in the hottest part of the year, yet I suppose it is when most people get away.
All part of the experience as Lake McDonald put it. I am supprised they don't have a bomb product like for fleas. Maybe they do? In any case I am feeling very lucky not to have had them when I walked.

In Astorga tonight at San Javier. Found 4 on one bunk. Our new rules of engagement are to pull out the knives and go at the cracks, kill them, spray ourselves with what he pharmacia gave us and just cope. We've let those around us know. They are just too prevalent, don't really think the option of 75 beds walking is a realistic option. Again just part of the experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just looked at your very good instructions on dealing with these bugs your pictures are great! I am amazed so many people choose to walk in the hottest part of the year, yet I suppose it is when most people get away.
All part of the experience as Lake McDonald put it. I am supprised they don't have a bomb product like for fleas. Maybe they do? In any case I am feeling very lucky not to have had them when I walked.

Flea type bombs won't work. Have you seen the cracks in the floorboards in some of these places. I just think of them like fleas and mosquitoes. Rest assured that friends and relatives will provide black garbage bags and fresh clothes at the airport

batyou got your bedbugs, and you got your basic Fear and Loathing.

I walked a chunk of the Invierno last week, and came back home to my village on the Frances. Yesterday I was wearing shorts, sitting at a terraza table at the local bar, when the pilgrims at the next table freaked out and started pulling their packs away from where I was.

My trail-battered legs are dotted with spots from encounters with blackberry bushes, and a couple of mosquito bites. But the pilgrims in their wisdom informed me that these are definitely bedbug bites, and they wanted nothing to do with my awful self!

I shall not share my response here.

Flea type bombs won't work. Have you seen the cracks in the floorboards in some of these places. I just think of them like fleas and mosquitoes. Rest assured that friends and relatives will provide black garbage bags and fresh clothes at the airport
Naw I calling homeland security so they quarantine you, no reason to let you back in Mt. Packin those critters :rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Astorga tonight at San Javier. Found 4 on one bunk. Our new rules of engagement are to pull out the knives and go at the cracks, kill them, spray ourselves with what he pharmacia gave us and just cope. We've let those around us know. They are just too prevalent, don't really think the option of 75 beds walking is a realistic option. Again just part of the experience.
S. Javier is notorious for having bed bugs! Practically impossible to eradicate them there, due to the wooden floors, wooden stairs, wooden and overcrowding!

The one thing we can be thankful for is they like to bite muscle -flesh and not genitalia and armpits like pepper ticks.

Apparently fleas are attracted to estrogen as well.

In all seriousness they look very nasty, I am sure if you explain the situation before entering a hotel they must have a place to strip outside. Much like getting sprayed by a skunk you would never walk into a building with that either. I can't think of a easy way to do it. Especially if you want to get away from it in Santiago. Before you get on that plane! :)

I do know the hotels can send the stuff out to get cleaned, just ask for a loin cloth for the day. :)

I may be having too much fun with this but I really have been sprayed by more than 1 skunk, like the bugs it simply takes a few days to loose the problem. So good luck & enjoy the time you have left.
Keith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Naw I calling homeland security so they quarantine you, no reason to let you back in Mt. Packin those critters :rolleyes:

Might want to alert NATO as it's an international incident;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is there a thread on known buggy albergues?

what a shame wish I was there Id stay and help scrub the whole place . Ernesto was a joy to stay with. hope he gets em taken care of with his sanity intact.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I may be having too much fun with this but I really have been sprayed by more than 1 skunk, like the bugs it simply takes a few days to loose the problem. So good luck & enjoy the time you have left.
Keith
Keith: It doesn't take (just) a few days to lose the problem - bedbugs will travel with you all the way across the camino and all the way home where they will take up residence and spread out from there. If you get them, you have to deal with them asap.

Granon is *still* a problem. I'm in Villafranca tonight and they are turning away Pilgrims at the Municipal because they don't have enough time to take care of their gear. Guarda Civil are here too.

Granon is *still* a problem. I'm in Villafranca tonight and they are turning away Pilgrims at the Municipal because they don't have enough time to take care of their gear. Guarda Civil are here too.
Am I interpreting your post correctly - the Guardia Civil were at the albergue - to protect it from bed bugs?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just a reminder, that an albergue HAD bed bugs some time ago does NOT mean it has bed bugs now. Ernesto is an hospitalero that I know since 15+ years and first as an hosvol and then in Granon he has always been meticulous in fighting the chinches at "every frontier". Buen Camino, SY

PS It is us, the pilgrims, that transport the bed bugs from place to place, albergue or parador, it doesn't matter to a bed bug ...

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back