• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jul 25 Mass in Santiago COVID limits

lisaflora

Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone know if it is required or possible to reserve space for Mass (pilgrim or other masses) for Jul 25? I think they are limiting numbers, according to Ivar's YouTube today

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You cannot reserve a place at any Mass - anywhere. As of the time of writing this, capacity in the Cathedral is set at 225 persons - due to COVID. Also, the renovations removed ALL the old pews from the entire Cathedral, replacing them with about 225 individual wooden chairs.

Between this being a Holy Year, and the COVID restrictions, getting in to any Mass - let alone a Mass on Santiagos' Feast Day, is going to be very iffy. Unless they loosen the capacity limitations for the Cathedral, your only hope is to come early and queue.

My guess is that there is a likely connection between renovating the old pews and re-installing them, and the capacity restriction. Further, I would assess that they MIGHT be planning to get the pews re-installed and increase the capacity restrictions, in time for the Feast of Santiago on Sunday, 25 July. But, this is just crystal ball speculation on my part.

Remember, that at present, the line to enter the Cathedral via the southern apse - from Plaza Praterias competes for entry 'slots' - not to exceed 225 in total, with those seeking to enter the Cathedral via the Holy Door, around the corner, from Plaza Quintana. EIther way, there will be queues. Bring patience and use the toilet before you get in queue.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You cannot reserve a place at any Mass - anywhere. As of the time of writing this, capacity in the Cathedral is set at 225 persons - due to COVID. Also, the renovations removed ALL the old pews from the entire Cathedral, replacing them with about 225 individual wooden chairs.

Between this being a Holy Year, and the COVID restrictions, getting in to any Mass - let alone a Mass on Santiagos' Feast Day, is going to be very iffy. Unless they loosen the capacity limitations for the Cathedral, your only hope is to come early and queue.

My guess is that there is a likely connection between renovating the old pews and re-installing them, and the capacity restriction. Further, I would assess that they MIGHT be planning to get the pews re-installed and increase the capacity restrictions, in time for the Feast of Santiago on Sunday, 25 July. But, this is just crystal ball speculation on my part.

Remember, that at present, the line to enter the Cathedral via the southern apse - from Plaza Praterias competes for entry 'slots' - not to exceed 225 in total, with those seeking to enter the Cathedral via the Holy Door, around the corner, from Plaza Quintana. EIther way, there will be queues. Bring patience and use the toilet before you get in queue.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Yes huge help, tku

I just read in a newsletter from the Archconfraternity of the Apostle Santiago - of which I am a lay brother - that:

1. On 25 July, the Feast of Santiago, the Cathedral will hold FOUR Pilgrim Masses - at 12:30 p.m., 4:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.

2. Capacity will STILL be limited to 225 persons - COVID imposed

3. Seating is first-come, first served. Even members of the Archconfraternity (me) have to wait in line.

4. I do not know if the number of celebrants at Mass (Archbishop, priests, servers, tiraboleiros, VIPs etc) counts against the 225 capacity limit.

I am hoping that things calm down before I arrive for three weeks in September.

Good luck!

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just read in a newsletter from the Archconfraternity of the Apostle Santiago - of which I am a lay brother - that:

1. On 25 July, the Feast of Santiago, the Cathedral will hold FOUR Pilgrim Masses - at 12:30 p.m., 4:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.

2. Capacity will STILL be limited to 225 persons - COVID imposed

3. Seating is first-come, first served. Even members of the Archconfraternity (me) have to wait in line.

4. I do not know if the number of celebrants at Mass (Archbishop, priests, servers, tiraboleiros, VIPs etc) counts against the 225 capacity limit.

I am hoping that things calm down before I arrive for three weeks in September.

Good luck!

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tku very much. I presume there are also nonpilgrim and English masses? Aren't they all pretty much the same...or do you recommend pilgrims mass?

Hope this helps.

Tom
Last night at 1800 there was a long line outside for the 1930 mass. Guard said no botofumeiro now, but there would be at noon today. I arrived 1100 this morning and no line, plenty of empty pews on 3 sides and empty chairs behind. Pews limited to 3 persons each. They swung the boto.

We arrived to Santiago last Thursday - evening mass at 7.30 pm was full already at 6.30 p when we arrived, so we went for the morning one which seemed to have a few free spots couple of minutes before the start at 9.30 am (we arrived to the cathedral after 8 am to secure our spots). At noon there was again a veeery long line. Restrictions as mentioned above. And beware that the same happens at the Pilgrims office, we didn't make it the day of arrival (the office closed/stopped distributing the waiting numbers earlier) and came the second day after the mass, got awaiting number and had to wait for 3 hours (you can watch the queue online which we did and left for brunch).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tku very much. I presume there are also nonpilgrim and English masses? Aren't they all pretty much the same...or do you recommend pilgrims mass?
Then Order of the Catholic Mass is identical all over the world. I have attended Mass in many Asian and in most European countries. Since Vatican II in the mid-1960s, Mass has been offered in the local language for the most part.

The same prayers are used, albeit in the local language. If you know the order of things and the prayers, you can follow along in English.

I also found, as a one time - a LONG time ago - altar boy, that knowing the original Mass in Latin (it was required before Vatican II) helped me comprehend the Mass in France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. Apparently there is enough similarity in Latin-based languages that you can sort it out - at least to know where you are in the usual flow of the Catholic Mass.

Also, you can download a free copy of the Order of the Mass in the language(s) you prefer, at www.misas.org. Use this link to go directly to the download page:

I hope this helps.

Tom

I presume there are also nonpilgrim and English masses?
On their website http://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/, they only announce mass in English daily at 10:30 am but it is not held in the Cathedral, it is held in the chapel of the Pilgrims Office. I think masses in other languages (German and French come to mind) are held in other churches. On the 25th of July, there is also a special mass at 10:30 in the Cathedral.

Tweet Cathedral.jpg

Last edited:
Things are different now, due to Covid. But in 2016, there was English Mass in one of the side Chapels in the Cathedral. I loved going to Mass in the main Cathedral in Spanish, but also the small Mass in the side Chapel, where I understood the readings, Gospel and homily a little better, was special too! I hope you can get to both! One "big" with the botafumeiro and one "little" somewhere in English!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Things are different now, due to Covid. But in 2016, there was English Mass in one of the side Chapels in the Cathedral. I loved going to Mass in the main Cathedral in Spanish, but also the small Mass in the side Chapel, where I understood the readings, Gospel and homily a little better, was special too! I hope you can get to both! One "big" with the botafumeiro and one "little" somewhere in English!
Then Order of the Catholic Mass is identical all over the world. I have attended Mass in many Asian and in most European countries. Since Vatican II in the mid-1960s, Mass has been offered in the local language for the most part.

The same prayers are used, albeit in the local language. If you know the order of things and the prayers, you can follow along in English.

I also found, as a one time - a LONG time ago - altar boy, that knowing the original Mass in Latin (it was required before Vatican II) helped me comprehend the Mass in France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. Apparently there is enough similarity in Latin-based languages that you can sort it out - at least to know where you are in the usual flow of the Catholic Mass.

Also, you can download a free copy of the Order of the Mass in the language(s) you prefer, at www.misas.org. Use this link to go directly to the download page:

I hope this helps.

Tom
Yes, I speak decent Spanish and know the Mass well, so say the responsorials by heart in English ...just sometimes hard to appreciate the nuances of the homily 🥴

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back