• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Julian Assange

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Obviously have to be careful with this, I'll ask people to steer clear of all of the current affairs aspects of it, but, this part of the story does seem to be quite heartening ...

[Julian] Assange has reportedly been in poor mental health and is reportedly suffering an unnamed condition, which could be revealed in his extradition trial on Monday.

[His father, John] Shipton said the Wikileaks founder is trying to clear his mind by thinking of a brighter future.

"A couple of years ago Julian and I worked out that when he would be released we would go and do the Camino de Santiago, the Way of St James," he said.

He said that each day in his prison cell Assange has started visualising walking another stage of the famous pilgrimage trail across northern Spain.

It is humbling to realise just how much even a simple idea of and hope for the Camino can help those in even the most dire straits of enclosure.

I'm reminded of Jérôme Kerviel's reverse pilgrimage from Rome to Paris in 2014.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The idea of walking a mental Camino when a physical journey is not possible for some reason is an interesting one. And one which may well be worth discussion here. But please do not go down the roads of debate about Mr Assange's legal case or any larger political implications or the thread will be closed.

When stressed or unable to sleep I nearly always visualise being on the camino, walking, looking at the scenery, listening to the birds, insects, the noise my feet make as I walk steadily on. I'm not quite sure that if my camino experiences weren't so deeply ingrained in my head that it would help as much as it does. I'm a big fan of when times are hard escaping into my mind :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tried to respond to this and have erased several previous attempts. I can think of dozens of better examples to throw out at us to start this discussion without an admonition to ignore everything about Assange. If you are going to put people like this up there as a "heart rendering " example you can't ask us to ignore them in the same breath. How about people in hospices, those with injuries that can't do another camino, those who can't afford it but dream, or perhaps victims of sexual assault who were victimized again by a statute of limitations and may no longer feel safe to do a camino etc etc. People in jail spending time visualizing not being in jail shouldn't be a big revelation.

Honoring the wishes of the moderators, I will note that when people are asked what the Camino means to them, the word "freedom" comes up not infrequently. Also that it seems that many people walk the Camino after significant traumatic events or periods of their life and an incarceration may fit that description.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tried to respond to this and have erased several previous attempts. I can think of dozens of better examples to throw out at us to start this discussion without an admonition to ignore everything about Assange. If you are going to put people like this up there as a "heart rendering " example you can't ask us to ignore them in the same breath. How about people in hospices, those with injuries that can't do another camino, those who can't afford it but dream, or perhaps victims of sexual assault who were victimized again by a statute of limitations and may no longer feel safe to do a camino etc etc. People in jail spending time visualizing not being in jail shouldn't be a big revelation.

As someone who thought this would be an interesting thread and that people could resist the urge to comment on the personality, I am almost ready to throw in the towel and say that I was wrong. I don't see any endorsement or any approval of Julian Assange. This is a well-known personality who has been in confinement for years and who visualizes the camino. This article is all over the Australian press. Any time an article is repeatedly printed in the mainstream press and deals with the camino, it is rational to think that forum members would find it interesting. A forum member thought that this article tells a story that is consistent with many people's beliefs about the redemptive power of the camino. That's it. Any news articles or any personal stories about the undeniably much more sympathetic people you describe would be welcome. But the fact that there was a news story about this one guy doesn't mean that anyone thinks his story is more valid or more compelling or more sympathetic than anyone else's camino dreams.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Obviously have to be careful with this, I'll ask people to steer clear of all of the current affairs aspects of it, but, this part of the story does seem to be quite heartening ...

[Julian] Assange has reportedly been in poor mental health and is reportedly suffering an unnamed condition, which could be revealed in his extradition trial on Monday.

[His father, John] Shipton said the Wikileaks founder is trying to clear his mind by thinking of a brighter future.

"A couple of years ago Julian and I worked out that when he would be released we would go and do the Camino de Santiago, the Way of St James," he said.

He said that each day in his prison cell Assange has started visualising walking another stage of the famous pilgrimage trail across northern Spain.

It is humbling to realise just how much even a simple idea of and hope for the Camino can help those in even the most dire straits of enclosure.

I'm reminded of Jérôme Kerviel's reverse pilgrimage from Rome to Paris in 2014.

I have fond memories of various caminos, and anticipation of more to come - I also have days and experiences I’d rather forget, and one occurrence of plantar fasciitis which (with Tinca’s recommendation of orujo blanco) I am unable to recall. It’s not an uncommon mental passtime.

Given that some issues are sub judice and that Mr Assange is a divisive character there are many potential comments which would not be suitable on this forum- perhaps including my own.

Last edited:
I have a friend who makes her way through life in a wheelchair, although there are other health problems which preclude even an attempt at the chair-possible part of the Camino. After some discussion, she is trying out a Camino-by-earth-google along with readings and exercises her spiritual adviser has provided. Given that Mr Assange, like many others, might not be able to walk it, there are ways he can obtain some personal benefit, and it's a positive thing that he might be able to do so.

Recently had five visits to the dentist to perform a particularly tricky root canal. The anaesthetic goes in, the chair goes back, my eyes close, my mouth opens, and....

Off I go to my happy place - walking the meseta.

Works every time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are several examples of Spanish prisoners walking the Camino and we can hope they achieve redemption. It seems to work for them. While a volunteer in the pilgrim office last October I met a really nice bloke who arranged these walks for the prisoners.

We can hope Assange seeks redemption by walking a Camino, and achieves it. One day, eventually, he'll be free. One day. He might then choose to walk a Camino and enjoy it, as we do for a variety of reasons.

Whether that is likely is another matter. We should wish him well. There is no doubt that among the many millions who have walked the Camino there must have been murderers, all sorts of bad 'uns. He'd merely be another on the walk.

I'm not without sin so I won't throw the first stone

I have a friend who makes her way through life in a wheelchair, although there are other health problems which preclude even an attempt at the chair-possible part of the Camino. After some discussion, she is trying out a Camino-by-earth-google along with readings and exercises her spiritual adviser has provided. Given that Mr Assange, like many others, might not be able to walk it, there are ways he can obtain some personal benefit, and it's a positive thing that he might be able to do so.
About 25 years after my first Camino and two years before I walked it with my son, I spent a week following the Camino on Google Earth and looking at the photos people had attached to the various locations along the route.

There are several examples of Spanish prisoners walking the Camino and we can hope they achieve redemption. It seems to work for them. While a volunteer in the pilgrim office last October I met a really nice bloke who arranged these walks for the prisoners.

And I'm reminded too of the ancient Camino tradition of the penitential pilgrimage, where one who for some reason needed to be removed from the community would, instead of being imprisoned or placed in house arrest, be required to go on pilgrimage to Santiago, as not just an exile but as a journey of redemption.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I accept I may have overstep the mark in my first post. Apologies.
As I understand it the post is focusing on our freedom to walk and enjoy the camino as pilgrims. If I recall correctly he started his confinement about the time I started my first camino (in 2015) and I have now walked a second and maybe will have completed a third before he is free. How I cherish freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back