Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July/August 2014

Polite

Hi all

If you look at my track record you'll see I'm new and undecided.

My heart says walking not cycling, which was my original thought, suits el camino more so I think I've dealt with that battle now.

One of my reasons for doing the walk - and probably why I'm so reflective - is to commemorate my wonderful father who died almost exactly one year ago today. There are other reasons too such as; to improve my outlook on life, to, hopefully, meet like minded people and because I was inspired by recently watching "The Way."

I'm now considering this route to add a bit more of a challenge plus I only have a certain amount of time available - not sure I can commit 35 days or so to the more popular French Way.

Just when I thought I was closer to a decision, I've always contrived to walk a path less travelled in life anyway, I have now presented myself with another dilemma, namely will I really be alone on this route? Will I have the same opportunities to bump into people/places to stay as I would on the Frances route?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the therapy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Camino Primitivo is one of the lesser-traveled caminos. You won't be alone all the time, but it might be days between fellow pilgrims. It is one of the more demanding, too.

There is little that you will get on a camino that you cannot get walking local trails or simply around your block. If you don't want people or scenery in a foreign country, it is worth considering another contemplative option in life. There is a smorgasbord of choices for caminos in France, Spain and Portugal, but first you need to narrow your choices by knowing your motivation. Members of the Forum can offer their ideas that informed their choices, but you need to know what you want! None of them are like The Way. That film was some writers' idea of a camino, not yours.

Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back