• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July clothes

HeatherWriter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Le Puy- Roncesvalles & Figeac-Rocamadour 2014
Le Puy-Conques & CeleValley 2016
Hi all. Just wondering whether long layers-eg: light merino leggings and top-would be necessary for the evenings in July on the Le Puy route? I'm inclined to think it will be balmy but am I wrong?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pray for balmy, for you may get a Turkish bath!! I do not remember being anything but hot or wet (or both) in July. Be prepared, of course, but wool leggings seem like a bit of overkill to me unless you need to be warm.

Bon chemin.

Just walked from Le Puy to Conques (in May) and certainly didn't need leggings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just walked from Le Puy to Conques (in May) and certainly didn't need leggings.
Sue, I'm surprised; I assumed May would be cold. So it was warm in the evenings even then?

Hi all. Just wondering whether long layers-eg: light merino leggings and top-would be necessary for the evenings in July on the Le Puy route? I'm inclined to think it will be balmy but am I wrong?

I've also been wondering about this. I think it's difficult to get an easy answer on an international forum because a person from England (for example) will likely have a very different definition of "hot" than I would (I'm from Brisbane). Whenever I've looked up average temps along the Frances I've always thought them to be cold!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've just looked up Le Puy on http://www.wunderground.com and picked a few years (go to almanac, month of July).

For July 2010 the max was 33, min was 22, mean temperature was 27. That's pretty hot!

2011 was cooler - max 31, min 17, mean 23

2012 was hot again - max 35, min 19, mean 27.

And last year was hot - max 34, min 24, mean 29.

Hope that helps.

Heather - I'm in general agreement with Kanga - I walked Le Puy - Conques in July/August last year/2013 - great warm to hot weather all the way (- might have been exceptionally hot summer, as the locals said they thought it was hot as well...!) - I generally wore a light long-sleeved merino top and lightweight longs all the time - nothing extra for the evenings - evenings were balmy, good enough to eat outside - sunset was late as well - Stephen in NZ

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah, it all sounds gorgeous! Thank you all for your wisdom. Marisa, I agree with you-right now (in Melbourne, Australia) the days are about 16 max and I'm wearing all my winter gear. At the moment Le Puy is cooler than this at night so I'd hate to be sitting round freezing in a skirt and singlet! I'll check out the underground website, thanks Kanga.

Just packing for my trip--we'll be starting the walk in a couple of weeks. This is so helpful as I try to decide what to take! It's cool and rainy at home in Portland :)

Just packing for my trip--we'll be starting the walk in a couple of weeks. This is so helpful as I try to decide what to take! It's cool and rainy at home in Portland :)
Hi Lori. What date are you planning to start walking?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walked last week to Cahors from Le Puy (no not in a week) and wore shorts the whole time. Very hot in Cahors last week up to 34 so too hot for me. Don't think you're going to be cold. BTW on 2 days I used the umbrella as a parasol, was able to walk in the shade then.

20140608_091120_1_zps84428065.jpg

€83,-
Ha, ha-great pic John. Looks like you guys are having a ball! A lightweight umbrella is a good idea though; I imagine it's pretty hot and sunny during the day. And from everything everyone has said, sounds like the evenings are lovely and warm too!

Will you be starting around then?
Planning to start walking around the 7th or 8th July so you'll be a long way in front by then. Buen camino, or, I guess it must be bon chemin! (or is it 'bonne'?)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lori-- I start on June 29th from Sahagun (where I left off last October!). Buen Camino!
John, what a fun picture! We are also walking to Cahors. We are planning to do the Cele route, did you happen to go that route?
Looks like I may leave the fleece at home and just take a warm lightweight pullover. Packing for this is truly an exercise in minimalism!
And bon chemin, Olivares and Heather :)

Ha, ha-great pic John. Looks like you guys are having a ball! A lightweight umbrella is a good idea though; I imagine it's pretty hot and sunny during the day. And from everything everyone has said, sounds like the evenings are lovely and warm too!
Yes pretty warm Heather. The only coolish part was leaving Le Sauvage(?) one of the higher points on the walk. I was a misty morning and cooler but I was soon toasty having my Paramo on top of my shirt for an hour.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have little French and met up the night before the start with a Vietnamese gentleman living in France and asked if I could accompany him for the first day. I'm truly blessed in that total strangers with no common tongue should get on so well. We walked in the same manner quite quickly, were content to stop together and were totally content from Le Puy to Cahors where sadly he had to leave. The Lads in the picture were also French but we kept bumping into them along the way. Always welcoming and helpful they were a delight. The gentleman in sunglasses being my friend and compatriot for the journey. So many tales in only 16 days away.

20140608_091033_zps567929f9.jpg

John, what a fun picture! We are also walking to Cahors. We are planning to do the Cele route, did you happen to go that route?
Looks like I may leave the fleece at home and just take a warm lightweight pullover. Packing for this is truly an exercise in minimalism!
And bon chemin, Olivares and Heather :)
Lori, although it was our intention to do the Cele route it was so hot in Figeac that the thought of all the climbing really phased me. I suffer from cooking feet if the weather is hot and doing the Cele in those temperatures at the rate required to honour my friends finish date was too much.
FYI I had 3 short sleeve shirts (one smart), a light fleece pullover and a Paramo wind/waterproof. One pair of shorts and a pair of zipoff trousers for evening. I figured if it got cold I'd have more than enough. On arrival at our destination, usually just after 1pm we'd shower and wash shirts and socks so they were dry for morning.
I got to Sauges with loads of extra stuff but went to the Post in the morning and sent every unnecessary item back. Exceptions being my treasured brolly and an electric trimmer for a hairy old git. Travelling relatively minimalist was truly a smooth move.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Suncream. It can get mental hot. I went from Le Puy last August and the heat was still pretty fierce. Jumper deffo for evenings, maybe some lightweight pants to accompany said jumper at night, other than that go for shorts & tshirt combination.

Or do what you want!

Yes pretty warm Heather. The only coolish part was leaving Le Sauvage(?) one of the higher points on the walk. I was a misty morning and cooler but I was soon toasty having my Paramo on top of my shirt for an hour.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have little French and met up the night before the start with a Vietnamese gentleman living in France and asked if I could accompany him for the first day. I'm truly blessed in that total strangers with no common tongue should get on so well. We walked in the same manner quite quickly, were content to stop together and were totally content from Le Puy to Cahors where sadly he had to leave. The Lads in the picture were also French but we kept bumping into them along the way. Always welcoming and helpful they were a delight. The gentleman in sunglasses being my friend and compatriot for the journey. So many tales in only 16 days away.

20140608_091033_zps567929f9.jpg
John, this thread is turning into something fun! I must say I'm a bit worried about my very minimal French, so it was good to read that you made a friend straight away. Yes, I think it is a case of reaching out to people in this situation.

It probably will be balmy once you are south of St Chely d'Aubrac- but before that you are walking up and down at quite high altitudes. It takes two days to cross the Aubrac Plateau, plus Montbonnet, and the area around Le Sauvage are all quite high- 1200-1300m. You would probably find it quite warm inside the gites in these areas in the evenings, but could possibly strike cold, wet walking conditions during the daytime, even in July.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the le puy route in June and September and the Geneva and R L S route in september also and never walked in anything other than shorts. For the evening I had very lightweight 3/4 lenght pants and a light silky top. I took a shortsleeve lightmerino top and a very lightweight down jacket and the life Altus cape. No leggings. Slept in a silkweight t shirt and lava lava/ sarong. Some nights only the sarong.Silk liner, no sleeping bag. There are blankets in the gites if needed.
Cheers, Gitti

Hey everyone, this thread has been a great resource for myself with the input from you all. I am going to be heading off on the 17th from Ireland to walk the le Puy route as far as Cahors (hopefully) and had been racking my head whether to bring certain things and had a worry of maybe over packing but after reading through this been able to cut out few bits to lighten the load :)

Just one question though related to the time scale/distance. I am aiming at walking Le put - Cahors in 14days. My plan is to travel a bit've europe once i have finished and have been looking at cost of trains etc from cahors for around the 1st/2nd august which are pretty good and am a bit cautious that i may be under estimating the distance a bit. would any of you think that the journey could be done from 19th july - 1st/2nd aug??? Also i m planning on mostly camping (tarp/bivy) throughout my trip with hostels every now and again would this make it easier/harder with the time scale do you think?? and is there anything i should look out for/ be aware of, seen as gona be mostly camping.

Bon Chemin to everyone!!! :D

Ah, well on the clothes subject again, which I started in Australia: I've just finished day 5 of this lovely route and I'm in aument aubrac and today was the first day it hasn't rained. Mon-fri this week was constantly rainy and hovered around 8-10 degrees during the day. It's been very cold at night, so, the light summer clothes I brought for the evening were far from sufficient! Survived though and hoping the weather will continue to be fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And then we had a week of around 34 degs every day, so you definitely can't predict the weather here, and that's great!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back