• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July weather for camino?

Liana

Time of past OR future Camino
CP Central July 25, 2015
CP Coastal July, 5, 2016
Burgos to Santiago, Sept 2018
CP Central 6/2020
Hello everyone,

I will be walking the camino with my husband at the end of July, starting in Porto. I am
wondering if I will need to wear hiking boots or can I get by with sneakers? I'm assuming
that there isn't much rain at this time of year, but will it be hot and humid? Appreciate any
info and input. Obrigado Liana : >

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone,

I will be walking the camino with my husband at the end of July, starting in Porto. I am
wondering if I will need to wear hiking boots or can I get by with sneakers? I'm assuming
that there isn't much rain at this time of year, but will it be hot and humid? Appreciate any
Ola' Liana -
In my experience, late July/August can be very humid/muggy and hot, plus mosquitos. Plus August is the portuguese vacation month - i.e. it's going to busy on the road, beaches, restaurants, hotels...
I would opt for good walking shoes - portugal has lots of cobblestone street, hard walking ... i wouldn't dream of walking long distances with sneakers. but you know feet better ... still, proceed w/ caution in that department.
you can check www.wunderground.com for Porto and other northern places ... and in the Historic section of the website do check for the month of july/august in the previous years. might give you an idea of DEW point and Temps.
furthermore - in the subforum for the portuguese camino you find excellent answers of multiple questions/concerns/inquires.
best wishes and bom caminho!

Ola' Liana -
In my experience, late July/August can be very humid/muggy and hot, plus mosquitos. Plus August is the portuguese vacation month - i.e. it's going to busy on the road, beaches, restaurants, hotels...
I would opt for good walking shoes - portugal has lots of cobblestone street, hard walking ... i wouldn't dream of walking long distances with sneakers. but you know feet better ... still, proceed w/ caution in that department.
you can check www.wunderground.com for Porto and other northern places ... and in the Historic section of the website do check for the month of july/august in the previous years. might give you an idea of DEW point and Temps.
furthermore - in the subforum for the portuguese camino you find excellent answers of multiple questions/concerns/inquires.
best wishes and bom caminho!

Thank you for the info, I will check it out. I can handle the heat and humidity, if it's dry even better. Here in Mass.
it can get brutally hot and humid, but than again, it surely beats snow!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the info, I will check it out. I can handle the heat and humidity, if it's dry even better. Here in Mass.
it can get brutally hot and humid, but than again, it surely beats snow!
great - sounds like you are well suited for it .... and you might get lucky w/ the 'no rain' part of your wish!
very best wishes -

July and August tend to be the hottest month's in Portugal, with temperatures arriving to 35 or more degrees (Clesius, that is). And it's dry heat, like desert heat. All because the influence of the Sahara desert winds, that come up all the way via Morocco. Since they don't find must resistance untill the center of Portugal, up untill Coimbra you can find very hot days. But don't expect for the North to be so much cooler has that!

@amorfati1 caught up with a very bad, cold and wet Summer last year :p

This year, they are predicting a very windy Spring, and a very tempered Summer. Probably the same has last year, but without the rain/moisture part ;)

Hello everyone,

This site might also be of some help:
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/caminoportugues/index.htm

Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
July and August tend to be the hottest month's in Portugal, with temperatures arriving to 35 or more degrees (Clesius, that is). And it's dry heat, like desert heat. All because the influence of the Sahara desert winds, that come up all the way via Morocco. Since they don't find must resistance untill the center of Portugal, up untill Coimbra you can find very hot days. But don't expect for the North to be so much cooler has that!

@amorfati1 caught up with a very bad, cold and wet Summer last year :p

This year, they are predicting a very windy Spring, and a very tempered Summer. Probably the same has last year, but without the rain/moisture part ;)
Who are "they"? They possess the famous crystal ball ? :p:D
Where are "they". I like to talk to them. Tell me !

Who are "they"? They possess the famous crystal ball ? :p:D
Where are "they". I like to talk to them. Tell me !

There is a portuguese anual almanac called "Borda D'Água", that uses astronomy and other scientifi methods, to predict the weather for the complete year in Portugal. And trust me, every farmer in Portugal follows that thing, like if it was the Bibble for agriculture. Mostly because, 95% of the times, it's correct!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back