• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July weather Sarria to Santiago

StClairFam

Time of past OR future Camino
July 23
Hi all
We are looking into our best route for our Camino start of July 2023 and it looks like St James , the last 110kms looks great for our family. We will take 14 days with rest stops so our 6 year old loves it.

It seems most people say to avoid it in summer and I wanted to see if the reason is it's so hot and what temperature is expected?

Our hopes would be early walking for up to 5 hours, heaps of stops and I'm not sure if private b and B's have pools? Very much beginning research! Too hot for us would be anything above 26 Celsius first thing in morning (6am).
Thanks so much!!!
Bel

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It seems most people say to avoid it in summer and I wanted to see if the reason is it's so hot and what temperature is expected?
It can be hot in July for sure, but the reason why people suggest avoiding that stretch in the summer is because it is very busy, mostly with Spanish families, church and youth groups.
If you book your accommodations ahead of time you shouldn't have a problem.

It can be hot in July for sure, but the reason why people suggest avoiding that stretch in the summer is because it is very busy, mostly with Spanish families, church and youth groups.
If you book your accommodations ahead of time you shouldn't have a problem.
Ah yes good to know. Is there another route of no more than 150km that is less busy? 😬

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I checked the temperatures on 15th July in Santiago for the previous years, and got this:
2019: 25 celsius
2020: 25 celsius
2021: 29 celsius
2022: 43 celsius

So, it can get really hot around Galicia. Protect yourself and your loved ones.
The Portuguese route, from Tui to Santiago, is equally nice and equally hot, with lots of infrastructure, but tends to be less busy.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I checked the temperatures on 15th July in Santiago for the previous years, and got this:

The Portuguese route, from Tui to Santiago, is equally nice and equally hot, with lots of infrastructure, but tends to be less busy.
Holy smokes!!!!

Actually I'm not sure, are those temps accurate ? I don't seem to be getting those temps in my research.... maybe those temps are not average?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Actually I'm not sure, are those temps accurate ? I don't seem to be getting those temps in my research.... maybe those temps are not average?

They are not average, they are the max temperatures on 15th July each year. Historical average for July is usually 15-25 celsius.

This is just to alert that it can get REALLY hot every now and then. Also, not the entire day was 43degrees, but it reached that point.

They are not average, they are the max temperatures on 15th July each year. Historical average for July is usually 15-25 celsius.

This is just to alert that it can get REALLY hot every now and then. Also, not the entire day was 43degrees, but it reached that point.
Ohhhh. Yes ok. That's fine. Heat spikes we can manage 😆

From my limited experience, the heatwaves are literally that, waves. So you can get variation over time.
I arrived in Santiago in the last week of June 2017, to 43 Celsius midday. Cool and misty in the mornings, then hot and clear after.
Hot, humid, and rain every few days in Galicia.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From my limited experience, the heatwaves are literally just that, waves. So you can get variation over time.
I arrived in Santiago in the last week of June 2017, to 43 Celsius midday. Cool and misty in the mornings, then hot and clear after.
Hot, humid, and rain every few days in Galicia.
Yep, we get them in our country too. Becoming longer now though!

Hi
I walked SJPDP to SDC in 2013 June/July. The temperature variation was between 25c and 41c. The 41c was mid-July on my penultimate day. I have also walked in April, May, September and October. I found September and October were the best months for walking for me. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Vince

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all
We are looking into our best route for our Camino start of July 2023 and it looks like St James , the last 110kms looks great for our family. We will take 14 days with rest stops so our 6 year old loves it.

Our hopes would be early walking for up to 5 hours, heaps of stops and I'm not sure if private b and B's have pools? Very much beginning research! Too hot for us would be anything above 26 Celsius first thing in morning (6am).
Thanks so much!!!
Bel
Start and end early and you will be ok.

One note for your planning

My husband and I stayed in hotels ( ish...private rooms, ensure bathroom) the entire 114km. 6 days, typical stages (Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rey, Meriden, Arzua, Arenal, Santiago). In July 2021. Not Paradors...but not albergues.

Air conditioning wasn't really a feature (read: non existent) until Amenal, and by then it had cooled down a lot. And I don't remember more than one pool in the lot. We were typical tourists in southern and Central Spain for 10 days afterward, with much the same results.

Depending on your comfort levels, you may want to go for October.

One note for your planning

My husband and I stayed in hotels ( ish...private rooms, ensure bathroom) the entire 114km. 6 days, typical stages (Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rey, Meriden, Arzua, Arenal, Santiago). In July 2021. Not Paradors...but not albergues.

Air conditioning wasn't really a feature (read: non existent) until Amenal, and by then it had cooled down a lot. And I don't remember more than one pool in the lot. We were typical tourists in southern and Central Spain for 10 days afterward, with much the same results.

Depending on your comfort levels, you may want to go for October.
This is super helpful to know!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Air conditioning wasn't really a feature (read: non existent) until Amenal,
In Portomarin, I stayed at Albergue PortoSantiago, it’s in town near the church. Private room, en suite bathroom, AND air con (unexpected surprise!).
And I don't remember more than one pool in the lot.
I will stay in A Brea (between Arzua and O Pedrouzo) in a few days time in Mar de Frisia, they also have a pool although I doubt it’ll be open this time of the year, the Spanish thinks it’s winter already! The last time I used a pool was in Pajares, the next 2 places with pool, the pool was closed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back