• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jumper's Knee Straps vs. KT Tape

Hope0925

Jane
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May/June 2016, from SJPdP.
I am planning my first Camino in May/June 2016. Many, MANY thanks to all those who share their experiences and recommendations here. I have learned so much.

My question: what do people prefer, Jumper's Knee Straps or KT Tape? And if Jumper's Knee Straps, Mueller or McDavid? I am female, 5'5" and weigh about 127 pounds. I have skied Tuckerman's Ravine at the top of Mount Washington a few times and my most vivid memories are the excruciating pain in my knees coming down. I'm assuming the Camino will include many such challenges and I want to be prepared.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have only used the knee straps and they worked for me. I know I have wobbly knees, but they held out throughout my camino. I attribute this to the straps. I was actually surprised by the amount of downhill on the Camino Frances. It was really tough on the knees, so I was super glad I brought them.
I watched the video on using the tape and I think the straps are simpler. You can easily take them off and on. Plus, you can wash them. Does anyone know how often you have to replace the tape? I'm assuming you can shower with it and that it will last for days if not weeks. Not that it matters, but I think the tape is less attractive and a lot more obvious. Most people who noticed my straps were puzzled by them.

With KT tape you'll have to bring enough to reapply every day or so. (Maybe they have it along the camino too?) With the jumper's knee straps it is something that doesn't have to be re-purchased, unless it is broken etc. Maybe have some practice hikes using KT tape and jumper's knee straps. I'm going to test out the jumpers knee straps when I hike Half Dome in Yosemite. I've used the tape on hikes around home and for running. It has served me well, but can get expensive. I haven't walked the camino yet....but I'm guessing that the Half Dome hike will be similar to the Pyranees....?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have recently started using KT tape on my arthritic knee for tae kwon do. Mine (cheapest brand I can find) lasts for 3-5 days, including daily long, hot baths (good for one of my other injuries). I can really tell the difference, though my physiotherapist says nothing has been published on using KT tape for this purpose.

The jumper's knee straps (never tried them!) look as if they only support one part of the knee, and that's not the place where I have problems.

I'm planning to use KT tape on my next walk in Spain. Will report back after Easter.

With KT tape you'll have to bring enough to reapply every day or so. (Maybe they have it along the camino too?) With the jumper's knee straps it is something that doesn't have to be re-purchased, unless it is broken etc. Maybe have some practice hikes using KT tape and jumper's knee straps. I'm going to test out the jumpers knee straps when I hike Half Dome in Yosemite. I've used the tape on hikes around home and for running. It has served me well, but can get expensive. I haven't walked the camino yet....but I'm guessing that the Half Dome hike will be similar to the Pyranees....?
I am planning my first Camino in May/June 2016. Many, MANY thanks to all those who share their experiences and recommendations here. I have learned so much.

My question: what do people prefer, Jumper's Knee Straps or KT Tape? And if Jumper's Knee Straps, Mueller or McDavid? I am female, 5'5" and weigh about 127 pounds. I have skied Tuckerman's Ravine at the top of Mount Washington a few times and my most vivid memories are the excruciating pain in my knees coming down. I'm assuming the Camino will include many such challenges and I want to be prepared.
My one and only experience with KT was nothing short of amazing. Details of my knee injury are boring; suffice to say the sports medicine chiropractor I went to explained the theory behind it all as he was applying the tape. Basically it works on the soft tissue - fascia for healing of inflammation, but there's much more pertinent and interesting info available regarding Kinetics on Dr. Google, or even on KT's website. The tape stays on usually for a period of five days. Yes, you can shower in it. On the 2nd day, I was 90% improved and a week later, like it never happened. That was approx 45 days ago and still good. B U T ….I will pack some just in case. I think it is available in Spain but I don't know the brand name is. Everyone's injury is unique to them, so I'm sure the knee straps work as well. There's also lots more info on this forum….

With KT tape you'll have to bring enough to reapply every day or so.
I find if I purchase the professional grade (orange box) KT Tape Pro I can have it last through 7-10 camino/shower days. I'd tried downgrading to the cheap stuff (black box) at home before I left and was only getting a day or two out of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maggie is, of course correct. I used the typical elastic tube knee supports on both knees for all three of my Caminos. They did the job, but are hot on warmer days. And their weight is not insignificant.

The Step Bands look to be lighter, and they certainly would be cooler. My particular knee problem is with the menisci cartilage in both knees and both sides of each knee.

Over the past few months, I started taking Glucosamine with Chondroitin as a dietary supplement. My doctor says there are no conclusive studies on this, but I figured it could not hurt to try. After a month, my daily discomfort subsided. Even when I was on my feet for 8 or more hours each day when I worked at the Pilgrim Office for a month this past July-August, I had no discomfort. Of course, that is a shade different than walking the Camino with an over-heavy rucksack. But we will see...

Thanks for the advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maggie is, of course correct. I used the typical elastic tube knee supports on both knees for all three of my Caminos. They did the job, but are hot on warmer days. And their weight is not insignificant.

The Step Bands look to be lighter, and they certainly would be cooler. My particular knee problem is with the menisci cartilage in both knees and both sides of each knee.

Over the past few months, I started taking Glucosamine with Chondroitin as a dietary supplement. My doctor says there are no conclusive studies on this, but I figured it could not hurt to try. After a month, my daily discomfort subsided. Even when I was on my feet for 8 or more hours each day when I worked at the Pilgrim Office for a month this past July-August, I had no discomfort. Of course, that is a shade different than walking the Camino with an over-heavy rucksack. But we will see...

Thanks for the advice.
I may reconsider the Clucosamine/Chondroitin….I used to take it years ago, until 'those' studies came out stating it wasn't conclusive. As you say, it can't hurt (no pun intended). Thanks back.

Maggie:

But it DID help. After taking it for one month, my daily pain and discomfort completely disappeared. Even standing on my feet working in Santiago for a month (no days off) did not cause any pain. So, while I was skeptical, the performance of the supplements for me at least has been a blessing.

Thanks for the input.

I've been told by my physiotherapist, podiatrist and massage therapist that KT tape has an additional neurological factor that 'sends' messages to the brain and back, from a proprioceptor perspective as well as the actual holding of joints and muscles in place. And so it needs to be applied in a particular direction for this to occur. It can and should remain in place for about 4 days before you remove it, UNLESS there is an allergic reaction (rare for this but some react to tapes). So it is very good, but make an appointment with someone and talk about it's benefits so that you get the best from it. As well as muscle problems after a car accident I have neuropathy of the feet, so I find it helps me each day and I'm halfway along the Camino right now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have recently started using KT tape on my arthritic knee for tae kwon do. Mine (cheapest brand I can find) lasts for 3-5 days, including daily long, hot baths (good for one of my other injuries). I can really tell the difference, though my physiotherapist says nothing has been published on using KT tape for this purpose.

The jumper's knee straps (never tried them!) look as if they only support one part of the knee, and that's not the place where I have problems.

I'm planning to use KT tape on my next walk in Spain. Will report back after Easter.
HeidiL Note my comment below. I wish you a Buen Camino next time too.

My one and only experience with KT was nothing short of amazing. Details of my knee injury are boring; suffice to say the sports medicine chiropractor I went to explained the theory behind it all as he was applying the tape. Basically it works on the soft tissue - fascia for healing of inflammation, but there's much more pertinent and interesting info available regarding Kinetics on Dr. Google, or even on KT's website. The tape stays on usually for a period of five days. Yes, you can shower in it. On the 2nd day, I was 90% improved and a week later, like it never happened. That was approx 45 days ago and still good. B U T ….I will pack some just in case. I think it is available in Spain but I don't know the brand name is. Everyone's injury is unique to them, so I'm sure the knee straps work as well. There's also lots more info on this forum….
Oh yes I forgot to mention the benefits re: fascia

Which is heavier to carry; two Jumper Knee Straps, or a full roll of KT Pro tape?
I took the tape out of its box and it weighs almost nothing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Happy to see the positive comments about the KT tape; it literally saved my knee. One point I might make in addition to the great info here, is that be very careful when you are removing the backing and applying tape, do not touch the tape side. I think some might feel that it would leave the skin all sticky, but it does not. My PT/chiropractor gave me several pieces, even I feel like I don't need them now, I definitely am packing them.

KT tape...yes! Wish I'd had it on my last Camino because of trouble with posterior tibial tendonitis. I had it on a pilgrimage in the Himalayas later in the summer and it made a huge difference--I had no almost no pain or dysfunction in spite of pretty intense walks through difficult terrain (except when I got cocky and took the KT tape off!).
Learn how to apply it correctly for whatever injury you have--if you don't have the help of a PT (I didn't), than just do an internet search and you'll probably be able to find videos.

after a devastatingly feeble attempt at some more of the veedlepee i had to give in because of the agony in my left knee. this is an ongoing arthritic problem for which i have tried every remedy under the sun! yes the kt tape was good back here in uk but i never took it with me. as it only seemed good for a few days its an expensive solution. i take glucosamine and carry paracetamol and ibubrufen cream. i used tube support as well. seems the hard fact of life for me is over 10kms i am in deep trouble!! this could be ok upon the cf (which i have done) but looks as if i will have to bite the bullet and admit at 77 i am riddled with imperfections! i would try cycling if it wasnt for my tendency to fall off things! having menieres doesnt help much either! nor did having my pacer poles stole! i hate giving up and would welcome any suggestions as my judgement is clouded with pain. looks like a good intake of my mead will go down well! :)
thanks in advance and buen camino.
the malingerer

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.