• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

June 2023 Weather Predictions

GeriVeee

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
When I'd first begun planning this - my research indicated mild weather in June, but the current forecasts are showing rain, rain, more rain, and thunderstorms for (at least) the first 4+ days of this adventure.

I'll be walking along the French Way, starting in SJPP, with my first stop in Valcarlos. I've got to be honest, I'm beginning to get nervous.

How are all of you that are out there (currently) on the Camino doing? Are you being drenched the whole way, or is the rain intermittent?

I'll have the obligatory poncho as well as a waterproof/resistant hat and shoes. Though some have said umbrellas are helpful, I won't be bringing one, because I use two walking sticks to prevent swelling in my hands.

Thanks in advance for any input and/or advice!

Buen Camino!

Geri V

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I'd first begun planning this - my research indicated mild weather in June, but the current forecasts are showing rain, rain, more rain, and thunderstorms for (at least) the first 4+ days of this adventure.

I'll be walking along the French Way, starting in SJPP, with my first stop in Valcarlos. I've got to be honest, I'm beginning to get nervous.

How are all of you that are out there (currently) on the Camino doing? Are you being drenched the whole way, or is the rain intermittent?

I'll have the obligatory poncho as well as a waterproof/resistant hat and shoes. Though some have said umbrellas are helpful, I won't be bringing one, because I use two walking sticks to prevent swelling in my hands.

Buen Camino!

Geri V
Forecasts were often wrong when I was there both years. I did get quite a bit of rain, but it was manageable and more often intermittent even when it was was supposed to be all day.

the current forecasts are showing rain, rain, more rain, and thunderstorms for (at least) the first 4+ days of this adventure.
Hi @GeriVeee, you write in an earlier post that you are hoping to start in SJPP on 5 June. Is that still your plan? If so, it is way way too early to get nervous about the weather. The current weather models for a forecast so far into the future are still very uncertain and their predictions do not converge, they vary from rain during most of the day to sunshine all day long and everything in between including clouds, sunshine and a bit of thunderstorm in the afternoon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes - I am still starting in SJPP on June 5 - which is just 11 days away from now. 😳😳

I've been watching the weather predictions daily - so, I'm prepared for the worst - but hoping for the best.

SJPP current weather prediction for 6/5: 75 degrees (F) Rain showers in the morning with thunderstorms developing in the afternoon. High around 75F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Most days that follow are similar.

Rain or shine, it will still be a trip to remember.

Last edited:
On my first Camino a long time ago, from SJPdP to SdC, I had steady rain every day for the first 3 weeks, no exaggeration - I checked my notes.

If you walk in rain and you get blisters, don't muscle through them. Stop, give your feet a break, and take care of them as you see fit (too many thoughts on blister repair on this forum than I can get into).

I spent an extra day in Estella that first Camino because of blisters. Estella is now one of my favorite towns and I spend an extra day there on purpose now.

It's supposed to be a challenge, right? You can do this, just take card of your feet.

Good advice from @Kathy F. But I have to say, if I’d paid much attention to Camino weather forecasts, I never would have left the USA… or Madrid… or St. Jean… or Irún… or Villalon yesterday… you get the idea😊
Last night the forecast for Sahagun area looked grim. Today, sunshine. The predicted rain doesn’t materialize much of the time. And if it does, then you put on your poncho (or whatever your choice of gear) and walk.
I wish you a wonderful camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just arrived in Logrono, seven days out from SJPdP, and haven't been rained on once. Before I started, the forecast was for rain every day.🤷

Thank you all for the wonderful words of encouragement. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. I've been training every day - and my shoes are working out great so far (I've done 100+ miles locally in the past 9 days) - so hoping that any rain I encounter won't change that. Unfortunately - since I am pre-booked at each stop through Camino Ways, taking a break for a day or two is not really an option. If blisters or other pain management are necessary - I'll have to take a bus or taxi to the next stop.

I'm very much looking forward to meeting other pilgrims on the path and making the most of my 11 days on the Camino.

Buen Camino to all! See ya in a little over a week!

Of course predicting the weather is a fools errand. Do not worry about it. It is also June so you will dry quickly. A good poncho is all you need if it does rain. You can wear shorts or if you are chilly and it is raining in the morning a really light rain pant is something to consider. You pre-booked so I do not know if that means you are having your pack shipped every day. If you are using luggage transportation than take what you want without worries. One question and an observation.
Why did you choose to walk up the Valcarlos route instead of the Napoleon? You should check with the pilgrim office about the weather before you start that first morning.
Also I hope that this camino will give you the confidence to do another camino without pre-booking everything. I think if you have the confidence to walk alone without being tied down you will experience even more freedom and leave yourself completely open to what the camino and your heart want to do every day.
Everyone is nervous before their first camino. It is perfectly natural. When I walked the first time there was far less information about the camino than there is now. Within a week you will be a pro. I will be walking my 8th camino in the fall. I walk much less traveled caminos and intend to continue doing that. If I would have walked the VDLP on my first camino I do not know how I would have reacted. I probably would have freaked out. Now I love the less traveled ways. Remember that worrying about the rain or blisters or distances or ability is natural. But also know you will really learn that the camino teaches you that all you have in life is the step you are taking, nothing more, nothing less. Take the first step and let go and allow what is happening, happen. What will be at the top of the hill, who knows??????

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Of course predicting the weather is a fools errand. Do not worry about it. It is also June so you will dry quickly. A good poncho is all you need if it does rain. You can wear shorts or if you are chilly and it is raining in the morning a really light rain pant is something to consider. You pre-booked so I do not know if that means you are having your pack shipped every day. If you are using luggage transportation than take what you want without worries. One question and an observation.
Why did you choose to walk up the Valcarlos route instead of the Napoleon? You should check with the pilgrim office about the weather before you start that first morning.
Also I hope that this camino will give you the confidence to do another camino without pre-booking everything. I think if you have the confidence to walk alone without being tied down you will experience even more freedom and leave yourself completely open to what the camino and your heart want to do every day.
Everyone is nervous before their first camino. It is perfectly natural. When I walked the first time there was far less information about the camino than there is now. Within a week you will be a pro. I will be walking my 8th camino in the fall. I walk much less traveled caminos and intend to continue doing that. If I would have walked the VDLP on my first camino I do not know how I would have reacted. I probably would have freaked out. Now I love the less traveled ways. Remember that worrying about the rain or blisters or distances or ability is natural. But also know you will really learn that the camino teaches you that all you have in life is the step you are taking, nothing more, nothing less. Take the first step and let go and allow what is happening, happen. What will be at the top of the hill, who knows??????
Thank you @it56ny! All of what you say is so very true. I've wanted to do this since 2016 - and have just gotten the courage to actually do it (or a portion of it anyways.) The one thing I knew for sure, was that I needed to do this solo, so as not to worry about anyone else's pace or experience.

I went with the cheater method (pre-booking and luggage transfers) to ease my fears and stresses so that I could really think only of the emotional healing I need to do on the trek, rather than hauling my gear, or worrying about accommodations. In doing so (using Camino Ways to book it all) they basically made all of the recommendations for the route and accommodations - and the Valcarlos route was what they gave me. Seemed to be a better option than going over the Pyrenees at the time. Def. happy to not be facing that huge mountain AND the possibility of rain/thunderstorms.

This really is just a test run, and I hope to gain the confidence to be more free-lance on a future Camino.

Thank you for your input! 🥰

Very doubtful.

Generally though, there has been a drought in Mediterranean France and the Iberian peninsula since the Spring of 2022.

That absolutely doesn't mandate whatever weather you might encounter, which will be variable, but you could nevertheless expect a drier Camino rather than a wetter. Even though locally you might get drenched !!

As per the post's topic - I predict that June 2023 Weather on Camino Frances will be riddled with snow blizzards, avalanches on Meseta and encounter with icebergs in every albergues' pool.
Now, armed with that knowledge the OP can bravely forge ahead ready for practically anything! 😇

Sorry couldnt resist! As have been stated many times before nobody can truly predict the weather and at the end - it matters not. It will be what it will be "when you are there" and you'll have to deal with it.

I started out last year roughly a week before this one - in May. Why? because it is 'usually' still cool enough.... Yeah right!
Day 1 - SJPdP - Orrison and into 90s we went.... and the heat wave continued with occasional shower nuisance here and there (Hottest day I hit was well into mid-30s C so thats like mid-90s), the said showers like I just quipped were more of a nuisance (drizzle - get all the rain gear out, put it on -- walk 15 mins, rain stops -- stop take everything off (and yes its getting hotter, right?!) -- walk for 15 mins, drizzle begins ... repeat) and thats until I crossed into Galicia at which point it was practically non-stop for like 10 days...

I think there was an early morning when I heard in the distance "Im melting, I'm melting" shrieks and the sky was this emerald hue..... but maybe it was a Pulpo I ate the night before....

@GeriVeee - I hope you are laughing hard by now and done worrying 🙂
Good Luck, Buen Camino and may the Gods of Weather send you all the Sun (but not too much) and clear skies

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes - I am still starting in SJPP on June 5 - which is just 11 days away from now. 😳😳

I've been watching the weather predictions daily - so, I'm prepared for the worst - but hoping for the best.
As has been mentioned in another thread, weather predictions are generally more unreliable the further out they are. Eleven days from now, they might as well just put a bunch of random predictions in a hat and draw one out at random. When they are two to three days out, you can start to perhaps worry. Even when it is just for tomorrow, it can always be wrong.

Plan for the climate and deal with the weather when it happens would be my advice.

Buen Camino!

Geri V
Nothing is 100%waterproof
Forecasts are not always right
It might not rain where and when you are walking.
Try not to be nervous
Have a good Camino.

As has been mentioned in another thread, weather predictions are generally more unreliable the further out they are. Eleven days from now, they might as well just put a bunch of random predictions in a hat and draw one out at random. When they are two to three days out, you can start to perhaps worry. Even when it is just for tomorrow, it can always be wrong.

Plan for the climate and deal with the weather when it happens would be my advice.
Just back from my 19 th time on caminos started 10 th may return 22 Nd may 9 days early never ever had it so cold or wet but can't control weather fcst for week ahead was thunder ⚡ so decided not for me rebooked flight home pilgrims looking to buy warmer fleeces jackets still enjoyed my 12 days walking alway do

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just back from my 19 th time on caminos started 10 th may return 22 Nd may 9 days early never ever had it so cold or wet but can't control weather fcst for week ahead was thunder ⚡ so decided not for me rebooked flight home pilgrims looking to buy warmer fleeces jackets still enjoyed my 12 days walking alway do
I appreciate your update with the recent conditions. Bummer about ending early though. i can only hope that the weather improves. I can handle the rain, but the cold will do me in. 🥶

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.