Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

June 7 For Fully Vaccinated Americans

tominrm

Year of past OR future Camino
I just received an email announcement from Tourist Office of Spain in New York saying that starting from June 7, Spain will open to fully vaccinated Americans.

"
Dear Friend:

Spain's Prime Minister, Pedro Sanchez, announced today that Spain will allow vaccinated travelers from the U.S. to visit Spain starting June 7.

Travelers will have to show proof of vaccination. A vaccination card or certificate of vaccination in English will be accepted.

A second dose of the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccines, or the single dose of the J&J vaccine must be received at least 14 days prior to arrival in Spain.

Unvaccinated minors who belong to the same family unit as the vaccinated adults traveling to Spain will be required to show proof of a negative COVID test performed at least 72 hours prior to arrival. Children under 6 will not be required to show a negative COVID test.

Upon arrival, travelers will no longer be asked to quarantine.

Travelers must fill out a health questionnaire prior to departure. The questionnaire can be filled out online or downloaded at https://www.spth.gob.es/.

For the latest information on travel requirements please visit https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/.

For individual inquiries about a person or a family's specific situation, please contact the Consulate General of Spain in your area: https://bit.ly/2N7lJoK.

You deserve Spain!

This is a message from the Tourist Office of Spain in New York

(Mailing address: 60 East 42nd Street, Suite 5300, New York, NY 10165)

Visit us at Spain.Info
"

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

MarkyD

Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
Greetings to one and all, I was sent a Facebook link today (see below) which mentions that Spain will open it's borders to VACCINATED travellers on the 7th of June. This could be the green light that many have been waiting for. Obviously, things could change, but for now this looks like a positive sign for those with itchy Camino feet 😀

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
I just received an email announcement from Tourist Office of Spain in New York saying that starting from June 7, Spain will open to fully vaccinated Americans.

"
Dear Friend:

Spain's Prime Minister, Pedro Sanchez, announced today that Spain will allow vaccinated travelers from the U.S. to visit Spain starting June 7.

Travelers will have to show proof of vaccination. A vaccination card or certificate of vaccination in English will be accepted.

A second dose of the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccines, or the single dose of the J&J vaccine must be received at least 14 days prior to arrival in Spain.

Unvaccinated minors who belong to the same family unit as the vaccinated adults traveling to Spain will be required to show proof of a negative COVID test performed at least 72 hours prior to arrival. Children under 6 will not be required to show a negative COVID test.

Travelers must fill out a health questionnaire prior to departure. The questionnaire can be filled out online or downloaded at https://www.spth.gob.es/.

For the latest information on travel requirements please visit https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/.

For individual inquiries about a person or a family's specific situation, please contact the Consulate General of Spain in your area: https://bit.ly/2N7lJoK.

You deserve Spain!

Visit us at Spain.Info
"
thanks for the update, this is awesome news

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Thanks for-this post! Vaccinated citizens will be able to enter Spain without PCR testing! This has been my belief from the beginning. The science supports this decision, A PCR test financially discourages vaccinated families from going abroad...

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Friend from Barquinha

None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
A PCR test financially discourages vaccinated families from going abroad...
Yes, totally, $N in flights & accommodation + a few $'s more in food, booze & cultural expenditure. And people are dissuaded by having to pay for a virus status test? The cost of a family meal in a decent Madrid restaurant or the compounded admission fees for the Prado, Thyssen-Boysen & the Disney Museum?

Sorry @Marbe2 but I don't see it. In newly liberated UK after a surge in retail, as everyone finally went non-essential clothes shopping 'cos their knickers were worn to see-through, footfall is way back down again. After a good lash the pubs are empty again. Everyone is still practising the pavement swerve, keeping that 2m space.

Yes, there are families from the UK heading off to Turkey, Greece, Portugal and anywhere else that'll let them in. They're not even dissuaded by the fact that they will likely have to at least self-isolate if not quarantine on return to the UK. Likely because they have no intention of complying anyway.

I don't feel that its the cost of a PCR thats dissuading me from travelling in a confined space with a couple of hundred people I neither know nor have any reason to trust but maybe I'm deluding myself

Marc S.

Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
Sounds like for Canadians as well!

And for more countries. Perhaps the title of this thread is a little misleading, as it is not only about vaccinated Americans / USA citizens.

But well, some Americentrism seems to be an integral part of this forum. :oops:

peregrina2000

Staff member
And for more countries. Perhaps the title of this thread is a little misleading, as it is not only about vaccinated Americans / USA citizens.

But well, some Americentrism seems to be an integral part of this forum. :oops:
I don’t deny that there’s Americentrism in many places, but let’s cut the OP some slack. He/she is reporting on an email received from the Spanish National Tourist Office in New York, which specifically reported ONLY that Spain was opening up to visitors from the US. I don’t think that required the OP to research whether other countries were included in this invitation.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Yes, totally, $N in flights & accommodation + a few $'s more in food, booze & cultural expenditure. And people are dissuaded by having to pay for a virus status test? The cost of a family meal in a decent Madrid restaurant or the compounded admission fees for the Prado, Thyssen-Boysen & the Disney Museum?

Sorry @Marbe2 but I don't see it. In newly liberated UK after a surge in retail, as everyone finally went non-essential clothes shopping 'cos their knickers were worn to see-through, footfall is way back down again. After a good lash the pubs are empty again. Everyone is still practising the pavement swerve, keeping that 2m space.

Yes, there are families from the UK heading off to Turkey, Greece, Portugal and anywhere else that'll let them in. They're not even dissuaded by the fact that they will likely have to at least self-isolate if not quarantine on return to the UK. Likely because they have no intention of complying anyway.

I don't feel that its the cost of a PCR thats dissuading me from travelling in a confined space with a couple of hundred people I neither know nor have any reason to trust but maybe I'm deluding myself
Testing returned within 24 hrs in some locations by us is $250 pp. multiply that by a family of four...$1000. And no we do not take a cheap flight on Ryan Airlines to Spain.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Testing returned within 24 hrs in some locations by us is $250 pp. multiply that by a family of four...$1000. And no we do not take a cheap flight on Ryan Airlines to Spain.
Crazy. Someone's obviously making a fortune on these tests. Not exactly "public" healthcare as we experience it here in Europe, obviously. A shame, IMHO.

Edit: Free of charge in Norway. As are the vaccines. As president Roosevelt said during WWII: "Look to Norway" :)

Last edited:

Linda Fantillo

RiverWalker
September/October 14, May 17, September 18, MAY 2020
Sounds like for Canadians as well!
Our government does not permit us from travelling internationally, but is discouraging it. At this time, you need to be fully vaccinated to go and will need a negative test upon leaving Spain and when you arrive back in Canada, you are required to stay in a hotel for three days at a cost of $2000 Cdn. A test will be done and if it is negative, you will be given an at-home test to do on day 8, but must quarantine for the full two weeks. Things could change, but this definitely affects the financial aspect of going. I know that there are insurance companies that will cover Covid, but haven't even ventured yet to find what that will cost. A waiting game I think.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
A waiting game I think.
Yep, for me as well in the US. I am not willing to jump through all the hoops at this point. I will see how others manage the logistics first and sit on my haunches in the mean time...waiting.

KentuckyJay

Hiked Leon to Santiago in May, 2014.
Hiked Porto to Santiago in May, 2016.
Greetings to one and all, I was sent a Facebook link today (see below) which mentions that Spain will open it's borders to VACCINATED travellers on the 7th of June. This could be the green light that many have been waiting for. Obviously, things could change, but for now this looks like a positive sign for those with itchy Camino feet 😀

Any word on accommodations between Santiago, Finesterra and Muxia?

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?

"
Dear Friend:

You deserve Spain!

Visit us at Spain.Info
"
Great information. I am going to register right now at that website. Thanks and thanks some more.

Steven B

Frances 31 Aug (2016), Le Puy 24 Jun (2018)
Australia - I believe is now the only country in the world that will not permit its citizens to leave. Limits, conditions and quarantine etc on arriving I understand. But not being able to leave I don't A permit is required to exit the country and walking a Camino in August/September is not a sufficient reason. The Government is still advising they will keep the borders closed until mid next year!!! I would be happy to stay overseas for a year if need be but that did not work either.

Stuck

drvnsmiln

SJPP - SdC '14
SdC - Fin-Muxia. '14
Sarria - SdC '14
VdlP '17
Levante '19
Portugues '19
And where does all this leave those of us who for whatever reason will not be getting the vaccine??????

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Australia - I believe is now the only country in the world that will not permit its citizens to leave. Limits, conditions and quarantine etc on arriving I understand. But not being able to leave I don't A permit is required to exit the country and walking a Camino in August/September is not a sufficient reason. The Government is still advising they will keep the borders closed until mid next year!!! I would be happy to stay overseas for a year if need be but that did not work either.

Stuck
Yep, very stuck, not even able to plan ahead.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
And where does all this leave those of us who for whatever reason will not be getting the vaccine??????

Unless there is a serious lifethreatening reason/ allergy for not getting the vaccine I see no reason why you would not accept the vaccine. All other " whatever" reasons do not make sense to me.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

pjacobi

2015, St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos
2016, Burgos to Ponferrada
2017, Ponferrada to Atlantic Ocean
At the moment, returning US citizens still require a COVID test, even for those fully vaccinated. Perhaps this will change soon.

-Paul

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I would say that you need to adjust to travel restrictions, not the restrictions adjust to you. The old (apologies to Mr. Spock), "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".
Or to be more specific "the needs of the many outweigh the wants of the few."

natefaith

Staff member

I have some friends who don't plan to get vaccinated until much later (they are not "early adapters" by any means, but want to keep seeing how people do after they get vaccinated) so your question doesn't come out of the blue for me.

To my knowledge, Spain hasn't announced it yet, but I imagine they will eventually start receiving un-vaccinated travelers as well, most likely with a negative PCR test. But they haven't announced plans for this at all....and my thoughts are just speculation at this point. Right now, Spain is just focused on allowing fully vaccinated people to come in first. To me, this plan makes sense. However, if you're not planning on getting a vaccine, you'll need to watch and wait for the time when you can come. With my friends as well, if people really don't plan on getting vaccinated, they'll have to deal with the very real limits and consequences.

Slightly off-topic: Of course, we're talking about first-world countries right now, where people have the opportunity to receive the vaccine, and the opportunity to travel. I feel bad for those in poorer countries who won't be able to receive a vaccine, much less travel easily, anytime in the near future.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 92913

"
Dear Friend:

You deserve Spain!

Visit us at Spain.Info
"
Thanks, I was concerned since Ivar said that you need two shots and my wife has the J&J single dose shot. This clears that up.

Camino Portugués Digital Guide Image
I update my digital guides frequently, for FREE for all purchases up to one year!
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Kathar1na

To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
Thanks, I was concerned since Ivar said that you need two shots and my wife has the J&J single dose shot. This clears that up.
Yes, the statement in this last video is a little imprecise.

Spain hasn't published the order yet. The text will most likely say something along these lines: Travellers from the USA and elsewhere are allowed to enter Spain who have received, at least 14 days before arrival, the last recommended dose of a vaccine authorised for use in the EU (= authorised by their CDC). In the case of AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and Moderna, this would be the second dose and in the case of Johnson & Johnson it would be the first and only dose.

I think the Prime Minister of Spain, Pedro Sanchez, even mentioned vaccines authorised by the WHO but I can't remember his exact words. We will know soon.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I have some friends who don't plan to get vaccinated until much later (they are not "early adapters" by any means, but want to keep seeing how people do after they get vaccinated) so your question doesn't come out of the blue for me.

To my knowledge, Spain hasn't announced it yet, but I imagine they will eventually start receiving un-vaccinated travelers as well, most likely with a negative PCR test. But they haven't announced plans for this at all....and my thoughts are just speculation at this point. Right now, Spain is just focused on allowing fully vaccinated people to come in first. To me, this plan makes sense. However, if you're not planning on getting a vaccine, you'll need to watch and wait for the time when you can come. With my friends as well, if people really don't plan on getting vaccinated, they'll have to deal with the very real limits and consequences.

Slightly off-topic: Of course, we're talking about first-world countries right now, where people have the opportunity to receive the vaccine, and the opportunity to travel. I feel bad for those in poorer countries who won't be able to receive a vaccine, much less travel easily, anytime in the near future.
I agree with everything that you said, especially the last bit about poorer countries. While we in the more privileged countries are celebrating a return to normalcy because of vaccines, for most of the world the pandemic is raging unabated. Those of us who can get vaccines owe it to our fellow citizens of the world to take them. As far as I'm concerned the pandemic isn't over for me until it's over for everyone.

trecile

Camino Addict
As far as I'm concerned the pandemic isn't over for me until it's over for everyone.
Just FYI - I realize that we will no doubt be living with Covid for a long time or forever, but not at pandemic/epidemic rates.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads