• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

June/July weather... What should I plan for when packing?

nfisher658

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, June/July 2014
Hi all,

I am starting my first ever Camino from SJPDP on the 5th of June, and I have been doing a lot of online research on the weather during the months of June and July so I can start getting my pack organised. The problem is, apart from the fact that July is hot, most of the information I have read has been conflicting, to say the least! So I was hoping that some of the experienced pilgrims here could give me some advice on the weather.

How warm should it be when I depart at the beginning of June?

Do temperatures at night, or even early mornings warrant any type of warm clothing layers at this time of year? And for sleeping, would a light sleeping bag be recommended, or just a liner be sufficient?

How much rainfall can I expect in June/July, and are there any regions where rain is more likely than others?

I am trying to make considerations to the weather to make sure I pack light, but smart... I don't want to carry the extra weight if I don't have to. Are there any items of clothing I could safely leave at home, but if for some reason they are unexpectedly needed can be bought on the road?

As always, any advice given is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Neil.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am starting from SJPdP on 6/6 and this will be my 3rd Camino experience. All I can tell you is to expect near freezing nights in some of the mountains areas in June and July as well as broiling hot afternoons in the Meseta. I wear layers but nothing more than a sleeveless fleece in the morning. You can function quite well with a sleeping bag liner because blankets always seem to be available in most albergues. Rain is like life; it is what it is and my experience is there are 3 out of 10 day when it will rain on you and even more than that once you reach Galicia.

That sounds like some sound advice right there, thanks a lot! You are starting from SJPDP the day after me, no doubt you will catch up to me somewhere... Hope to see you on the road!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Peregrinos. Thank you all for the information. I have the same questions but I am planning on starting around the 1st or 2nd May. Probably there will not be much difference in the weather....or is it? This will me my first experience and I am very excited about finding out what My Camino will be. Have had some difficulty coordinating my Houston-Madrid arrival time (2:20pm) with transportation to Pamplona. If I can get there early enough to find a place to stay for the night, I could get early to Saint Jean the next day....I am hopping! I appreciate the help. Looking forward to meeting many of you on the way. Thank you.

In May, one cannot predict the weather.
I'd plan to layer clothes.
Last year in June there was snow over the pass and I froze in Santo Domingo del Calzada.
Two years earlier, I was sweating in June.

If I were doing a June/July Camino, I would pack very little. One change of clothes. One change of underwear. One fleece bag liner. Maybe a feather weight fleece or merino wool sweater. Toothbrush and paste.
I think you'll experience heat more than cold and you can always pick up extra clothes along the way if you really need them.
The FREE BOXES are full of needful things that other pilgrims leave behind.

Have had some difficulty coordinating my Houston-Madrid arrival time (2:20pm) with transportation to Pamplona.
You should be able to get the 15:15 bus from terminal T-4 at Barajas, Madrid to Pamplona:
upload_2014-3-13_11-21-54.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last year in June there was snow over the pass and I froze in Santo Domingo del Calzada.

If I were doing a June/July Camino, I would pack very little. One change of clothes. One change of underwear. One fleece bag liner. Maybe a feather weight fleece or merino wool sweater. Toothbrush and paste.
I think you'll experience heat more than cold and you can always pick up extra clothes along the way if you really need them.

Thank you Annie.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back