• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

June or September ?

weiho

Wei Ho
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances , September/October 2018
Hi all. I am planning my Camino next year and have the choice of June or September. I will start from Saint Jean. I’d like to hear your opinion with regarding to weather, accommodation crowdness, natural beauty etc for these two periods. By the way, I’d like to avoid any festivities on the way. Thank you all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all. I am planning my Camino next year and have the choice of June or September. I will start from Saint Jean. I’d like to hear your opinion with regarding to weather, accommodation crowdness, natural beauty etc for these two periods. By the way, I’d like to avoid any festivities on the way. Thank you all!
I like June, it's the start of the hot weather, but it's still fresh (especially in the morning!)and the flora is just starting to bloom where as September has a whole summer to get dusty!! I 'm sure you will have a great time whenever you go and, as for crowds and places to stay, I'm sure you will find a bed somewhere,just be prepared for doing a few extra miles when you find your first choice is full! buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
June seems just a little less hot than September -see here the data from Pamplona. On the other side, if you go in September, you will find milder, pleasant weather in Galice.
Both June and September are both in the high walking season -they will not make much difference. See here the stats. Anyway you choose, you will be hardly alone in the paths...Be (mentally) prepared, especially for the "after Sarria" stages.
Not major holidays -just remember that the first two weeks of July is the huge and chaotic San Fermin in Pamplona.
Buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi all. I am planning my Camino next year and have the choice of June or September: i will start from Saint Jean. I’d like to hear your opinion with regarding to weather, accommodation crowdness, natural beauty etc for these two periods. By the way, I’d like to avoid any festivities on the way. Thank you all!
This year was our second camino in September. This time from Astorga to Sarria, and then from Santiago to Finisterra . The weather was perfect, the mornings cool, the albergues and el camino with few peregrinos. Just perfect. No rain , no hot. Too many tourists in O'Cebreiro on Sunday mass

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One thing to consider is that there are many student and youth groups out on the Camino between June and August, especially between O Cebreiro and Santiago. They all go back to school in mid-September (usually sometime between Sept 10 - 15), though university students will still be on the trail as they often start in October.

Whatever you decide, enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

If you start at the beginning of June, by the time you get into Galicia, the "season" will be in full swing. The universities are out for the summer, and the Camino will become saturated with pilgrims.

In September, the first-half of the month starts very busy, with summer heat and congestion at a seasonal, tail-end.

Were it me, I would try to either start in May, early enough so I arrived at Santiago by mid-June. Alternatively, I would start in mid-September, to allow the remainder of the summer-surge to be walking in front of me. In the latter case, I would plan to arrive at Santiago in mid-to late October.

I hope this helps.

One other thing--I think you have more daylight hours in June. I started walking on May 24 this year and it was PERFECT! Lots of pilgrims, but never too many and always able to get a bed. Sunrises are amazing and so are the birds chirping in the morning. I loved being able to start early and end late if I wanted. Also, it's nice to see the sunsets at 10:45 pm!!!! But September, I'm sure, would be just as amazing. This was my first camino and it was incredibly amazing!!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have walked once in September-October and twice in May-June, and expect that our next departure will also occur in May. There are several reasons for this decision, the first one being the lack of flowers across the Meseta in the fall. What was not lacking in the freshly harvested fields was next year's rather aromatic source of nutrition. I must say the manure stench was extremely strong for some very long stretches.

The second issue was the rain in Galicia. I do realize that weather is totally unpredictable, but both times we entered Santiago in June, the sun was shining gloriously. The same could not be said for our October entrance, as well as the previous 6 days, which took place in some serious wetness. We joked that we were walking the Rio de Santiago at that point...

The main reason for the May departure would be the extra amount of daylight hours. We could leave early in the morning without the need of a pesky headlamp, fully enjoying the beautiful scenery. What was even better were the evening hours. We had more "down time" than "chore time", and our clothes had more time to dry. Win-win for us!

Best wishes and Buen Camino!

No right or wrong answer here. This year I walked in September and did not have to take my rain gear out of my pack. A bonus (although not for the farmers). But I've also walked in June with virtually cloudless skies all the way. It can get hot in either June or September.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I haven't done June but just finished that route Sept. 15-Oct. 18. Weather was exceptional! Only festivity was a wine festival in Logrono, and I walked right through town that day. I watched a lot of posts from people walking this summer and it looked incredibly hot. They did lots of walking in the dark and had restless nights in hot albergues. Although I walked in the dark a lot, too, and surprisingly loved it.

BTW, allow yourself more time than I did (35 days) and definitely go to Muxia! I had to average 15 miles per day. My trip was indeed crowded, and I had to work to get some time alone. I learned to call and reserve albergues one day ahead of time just to relax my anxiety over whether I'd get a bed. Private rooms were my saving grace so I could get some sleep.

I like June I was a summer baby born in June. Walked the Camino Portuguese in June this year and it was hot hot hot,. But I left before 6am each morning walked for about 5 hours and could relax and enjoy the summer sunshine for the rest of the day. The days are longer too so lots more light to enjoy hope this helps.

Definitely September. June would be too hot and crowded. My husband and I finished the Camino Frances on 16 October after starting in St Jean Pied de Port on 27 August. it was still quite hot in the afternoons, but we only averaged 20kms per day and started early to beat the hottest part of the day. There were still large numbers walking in September and some people struggled to find accommodation. Best wishes with your walk. It is amazing. We walked every step and had the time of our lives.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't done June but just finished that route Sept. 15-Oct. 18. Weather was exceptional! Only festivity was a wine festival in Logrono, and I walked right through town that day. I watched a lot of posts from people walking this summer and it looked incredibly hot. They did lots of walking in the dark and had restless nights in hot albergues. Although I walked in the dark a lot, too, and surprisingly loved it.

BTW, allow yourself more time than I did (35 days) and definitely go to Muxia! I had to average 15 miles per day. My trip was indeed crowded, and I had to work to get some time alone. I learned to call and reserve albergues one day ahead of time just to relax my anxiety over whether I'd get a bed. Private rooms were my saving grace so I could get some sleep.
Thank you for the very useful advise!

Definitely September. June would be too hot and crowded. My husband and I finished the Camino Frances on 16 October after starting in St Jean Pied de Port on 27 August. it was still quite hot in the afternoons, but we only averaged 20kms per day and started early to beat the hottest part of the day. There were still large numbers walking in September and some people struggled to find accommodation. Best wishes with your walk. It is amazing. We walked every step and had the time of our lives.
Thank you!

I like June I was a summer baby born in June. Walked the Camino Portuguese in June this year and it was hot hot hot,. But I left before 6am each morning walked for about 5 hours and could relax and enjoy the summer sunshine for the rest of the day. The days are longer too so lots more light to enjoy hope this helps.
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No right or wrong answer here. This year I walked in September and did not have to take my rain gear out of my pack. A bonus (although not for the farmers). But I've also walked in June with virtually cloudless skies all the way. It can get hot in either June or September.
Thank you!

Additional thoughts to other replies, I found Sept eerily quiet in the mornings, but June had great birdsong -frogs croaking and lots of small mammal activity in the countryside and much more daylight as well as more flowers inbloom etc. Paths are drier by September and harvest though. Both times/seasons were great and experiences.

We walked in June 2016 and it was beautiful . We had plenty of wild flowers and also bunches of rain and cool temperatures - we had some warmer days, but only a couple that I would consider actually hot. I wore long sleeves a lot and my jacket more than I expected. I think it really differs from year to year. I went through my pictures from the Camino, and pulled out a few from various spots along the Camino to show how chilly it was - one of these is just a day or so past Burgos, another is several days past Burgos - somewhere on the Meseta. Then a couple more in Galicia.

Attachments

• 13331100_10153719986440897_8731686731187975911_n.jpg
    13331100_10153719986440897_8731686731187975911_n.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 13335539_10153719985640897_4899358596887443990_n.jpg
    13335539_10153719985640897_4899358596887443990_n.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 13407241_10153753464215897_5478078063044279708_n.jpg
    13407241_10153753464215897_5478078063044279708_n.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 13442353_10153751293550897_5159162135974072724_n.jpg
    13442353_10153751293550897_5159162135974072724_n.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 13
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked in June 2016 and it was beautiful . We had plenty of wild flowers and also bunches of rain and cool temperatures - we had some warmer days, but only a couple that I would consider actually hot. I wore long sleeves a lot and my jacket more than I expected. I think it really differs from year to year. I went through my pictures from the Camino, and pulled out a few from various spots along the Camino to show how chilly it was - one of these is just a day or so past Burgos, another is several days past Burgos - somewhere on the Meseta. Then a couple more in Galicia.
Thank you very much for sharing the experience and showing the wonderful photos

Additional thoughts to other replies, I found Sept eerily quiet in the mornings, but June had great birdsong -frogs croaking and lots of small mammal activity in the countryside and much more daylight as well as more flowers inbloom etc. Paths are drier by September and harvest though. Both times/seasons were great and experiences.
Yes, I saw some of the Camino photos, the flowers in June are really beautiful, specially the poppies

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.