A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Junta albergue kitchens

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2011, Primitivo, 2013, Via Francigena 2014, 2015 VDLP, 2016 Via de la Costa and Via San Francesco
Last walked in Galicia in 2015. At the time most Junta alberges had great looking kitchens, but no equipment provided to use them, I.e. no pots, pans, utensils.

Is this still the case?

Advertisment

HedaP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
Mostly this is the case but there are a few exceptions such as Monte do Grozo.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Is this still the case?
They gave up a decade ago. There were enough pilgrims who took items or left them filthy for the Xunta to lose interest in providing them. Unclean cookware draws vermin, so workers got tired of cleaning the items each morning as part of fighting bugs and rats. Until five or six years ago, all the xunta albergues were donativo out of respect for pilgrims. Pilgrims repaid that kindness with ???????:(

Anniesantiago

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
They gave up a decade ago. There were enough pilgrims who took items or left them filthy for the Xunta to lose interest in providing them. Unclean cookware draws vermin, so workers got tired of cleaning the items each morning as part of fighting bugs and rats. Until five or six years ago, all the xunta albergues were donativo out of respect for pilgrims. Pilgrims repaid that kindness with ???????:(
Yes! I saw that over and over.
Can’t blame them.

Maxy

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 2018 cycle
Albergue San Martin in Miraz is still a donativo and provides cooking utensils. The other albergue in the village has a cafe and a pilgrim menu.

Advertisment

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Hi, that's a CSJ albergue not a Xunta albergue. Big difference!
And it is on the Camino del Norte, which gets 10th the number of pilgrims as the Camino Frances, and almost none who are walking just the last 100 km. There is something about the last 100 km of the Camino Frances that suppresses the best nature of some pilgrims!!

Paladina

Camino(s) past & future
Cycled caminos francés, Finisterre, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles et al (2018)
Thanks for explaining the lack of basic equipment. It had not occurred to me that ill-mannered pilgrims were to blame. Had I carried out my original intention of buying some cheap crockery and cutlery and leaving it for others to use I might even unwittingly have added to the problem.

Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles to SdC 98
I walked the Frances in 1998 & when we reached Galicia the new Junta alberues had no kitchen utensils. As we had all walked from France we were puzzled by this? I don't think any Pilgrims were stealing the crockery, we felt it was a conscious decision by Galicia to make Pilgrims spend more in local establishments.
By the way, the Camino was not a tourist walk in those days. All the people I met treated the Alberues with great respect.
JR

Gillean

Camino(s) past & future
Seven
Pilgrims get the blame for a lot of things, not always justly. I remember staying at the albergue in Ourense when a friend asked the hospitalero if there were any more clothes drying racks? Only one had been put out in an albergue that accommodated 40+ people. The hospitalero looked away for a second from the telenovela he was watching on TV and said no, the pilgrims had taken them all. My friend, a sassy German woman, replied: “Oh, that explains why I’ve seen all those pilgrims walking the Camino with clothes drying racks strapped to the outside of their packs!” Now if he had said that the pilgrims had broken them all I would have found that more believable.
There are some good people working at the junta albergues and some who are possibly just interested in doing the minimum necessary which may not include tidying up after the relatively few pilgrims who leave dirty dishes in the sink.

long trails

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June 2016
Portugues April 2017
Norte Spring 2018
I carried my own small cooking pot, a small plate and spork. The advantage of kitchens with minimal accessories is that you can actually have some space to cook!

cbcrna1

Camino(s) past & future
NONE
Last walked in Galicia in 2015. At the time most Junta alberges had great looking kitchens, but no equipment provided to use them, I.e. no pots, pans, utensils.

Is this still the case?
Not specifically Junta, but yes still the case. Should not be listed in guide books as having kitchens, if can’t be used. We would shop in an open market and get there and no way to use kitchen. If going to expense of putting in a kitchen, could there be a payment made to maintain it, can we “police” each other? Re: cleaning up and/or taking things.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.9%
  • May

Votes: 154 26.1%
  • June