Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Just a few Del Norte pics....

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

rinevl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Wow!! breathtaking. How are the albergues on the route? I'm set to walk starting in early August, but I'm having difficulty deciding between Del Norte and Francés. I had my heart set on Del Norte but then saw on a few forums that a lot of its albergues have closed down. How has the lodging situation been for you?

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
camino Frances Aug 21 doing norte June 22
Wow!! breathtaking. How are the albergues on the route? I'm set to walk starting in early August, but I'm having difficulty deciding between Del Norte and Francés. I had my heart set on Del Norte but then saw on a few forums that a lot of its albergues have closed down. How has the lodging situation been for you?
Hi there, a few of the municipal albergues are closed, but most of the others are open, it's not so much of a bed race, like the CF, but the facilities are spaced well apart. I've only had one hostel full, in San Sebastian, but it's a tourist hotsppt, so was expected. I would suggest you download Gronze, which is upto date with what is open ect.
The scenery here is stunning.
Hope this helps
Graham

ciotime

Camino del Norte
Hi there, a few of the municipal albergues are closed, but most of the others are open, it's not so much of a bed race, like the CF, but the facilities are spaced well apart. I've only had one hostel full, in San Sebastian, but it's a tourist hotsppt, so was expected. I would suggest you download Gronze, which is upto date with what is open ect.
The scenery here is stunning.
Hope this helps
Graham
Hi...I too am planning on doing the Del Norte this coming October. But only doing the walk from San Sebastian to Bilbao. Have you walked this part on your trip? Was it hard or manageable? I've read that it has a lot of ups and downs specially the Deba to Markina part. Thanks.

Hi...I too am planning on doing the Del Norte this coming October. But only doing the walk from San Sebastian to Bilbao. Have you walked this part on your trip? Was it hard or manageable? I've read that it has a lot of ups and downs specially the Deba to Markina part. Thanks.
Hi, I won't lie, it was hard, very steep accents, followed by steep decent, what didn't help was the heat, but hopefully in October it will be cooler, hope this helps.
Graham

ciotime

Camino del Norte
Hi, I won't lie, it was hard, very steep accents, followed by steep decent, what didn't help was the heat, but hopefully in October it will be cooler, hope this helps.
Graham
You mean the whole route or just a few sections?

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Magnets
Yes, the views were stunning....but so we're the climbs, a lot of them were through forests, so very hard under foot, make sure you have footwear with good soles, for me, the descents were the hardest, the cobbled, rutted, trails killed my feet & ankles

ciotime

Camino del Norte
Yes, the views were stunning....but so we're the climbs, a lot of them were through forests, so very hard under foot, make sure you have footwear with good soles, for me, the descents were the hardest, the cobbled, rutted, trails killed my feet & ankles
Thanks for the info...keep well and stay safe!!! Buen Camino!!

keith duke scott

Last camino Norte 2017
Next camino 2022?
Do you still remember the walk from San Sebastian to Bilbao? Was it less hard? Lot's of people say the views are great.
Hola
Yes I do remember being very tired when I finally staggered into Bilbao. Sore feet pretty exhausted but the killer was all those stairs to walk down to get to the main part of the city I was staying In. I recall stairs on one side and cobble stones in the middle if you chose to walk there. Yikes that was one of the hardest parts for me. Stairs for days. The next day I recovered to the point where I wanted to see the guggenheim museum. The building is an architectural wonder amazing to see and study. But inside the "art" left me quite confused. I am apparently an ill breed and very unsophisticated. I am from the old school where art is supposed to be beautiful timeless and able to be contemplated and marveled at for days weeks years! The"art" inside would never be mistaken for art unless someone was telling you it was art. After leaving I soon discovered a beautiful Cathedral and my faith in art was restored. Buen camino 😉

Camino Magnets
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

ciotime

Camino del Norte
On a side note I'm just following the usual route from San Sebastian to Bilbao which is San Sebastian-Zarautz-Deba-Markina-Gernika-Lezama-Bilbao. For those who have done the Camino del Norte is this also what you did or does anyone have other suggestions? I've only taken a quick look at the stops and it seems there's really nothing much in Lezama. Zarautz and Deba seems to look like nice little towns. The others I haven't checked yet.

Airfix

French 2019
Portuguese 2021 Central
2022 Coastal
Photos look amazing and so does the weather! I have walked both Frances and Portuguese (from Lisbon) and have Norte next on my list but the forums I have read regarding the weather kind of halt me somewhat. We were extremely unlucky walking the Portuguese route pre-COVID where every day in Portugal rained until we literally crossed over into Spain.

When do you think is the best time to walk the Norte, where the possibility of sunshine for most days is high?
Hi @Lyndalals , not my photos or thread. Try asking OP or some of others who have commented above.
Airfix

Lyndalals

Photos look amazing and so does the weather! I have walked both Frances and Portuguese (from Lisbon) and have Norte next on my list but the forums I have read regarding the weather kind of halt me somewhat. We were extremely unlucky walking the Portuguese route pre-COVID where every day in Portugal rained until we literally crossed over into Spain.

When do you think is the best time to walk the Norte, where the possibility of sunshine for most days is high?

klinker

Norte
I just finished the whole del norte a few days ago. Several suggestions on places to stay if they are still open in Oct 1) Orio - San Martin Pilgrims Hostel - well run with a good sized kitchen for cooking dinner and a grocery store down in town 10min. Many places say they have cooking facilities but don't really have equipment/pots/utensils and space - this place did. Breakfast is very basic and not worth the charge. 2) Zumaia - Sana Klara Hostel - it is expensive 30e but very nice. Great rooms/beds. good kitchen. Amazing views of the town and ocean. It is past the town which gives a good start on the next day but is a steep hill to get there. dont count on walking back into town - pick up food/supplies as you go through town. 3) There is a big converted old train station is Deba which is I hear is nice but I pushed the 5k on to the Izabide Pilgrims Hostel in Ibiri quarter. it is not a town or anything but gives you a good start on the long huge elevation gain/loss for the next day (with little facilities) be sure to get a sandwich supplies in Deba for that leg. The albera is fairly basic but does have a bar for drinks. They offer a pilgrams meal but had us go to a nearby Italian restaurant they worked with for it (and it was good for fixed price). 4) Markina - I had the advice to push on past town to the moestary at Monasterio de Ziortza - if you want to say you stayed at a monastery go for it. Rooms/facilities are really old - have to go outside and back into building for toilets. No real kitchen and the pilgrims meal is a huge pot of pasta the monks bring in then leave. I heard amazing stories from the people that stayed at the Inzauspe Hostel in Markina about a fantastic meal etc. and would have stayed there in retrospect. 5) there may be great places in Gernicka-Lumo but I pushed on the extra 6m to Muzika and the Pozueta Rooms hostel for one of the best pilgrims meals I had. Not in a town just out in country (the way I like). Small great place. For sure go there if you can. 6) the walk into Bilbao is horribly hard because the last bit is straight up and straight down. It probably took me 1.5 hours for the last mile down because my quads hurt so much. There may be other nice places to stay but I booked this amazing botique hotel right in the old quarter. You looked down on the busy cobblestone streets in the old town with restaurants, nightlife, shops and a great vibe. The hotel had smaller rooms but all modern and great. The plus is that the old town is the first thing you hit after coming down this huge climb down. Pension Ama Bilbao. Frankly the rest of Bilbao just seemed like a busy crowded city. Those are my recomendations!!! have a fantastic trip. Eric.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.