• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just About Done For The Off

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Hi Pilgrims

Had a really good day today, the little odds and ends I ordered at the beginning of the week have arrived, just a couple of small items to get, and for those it will be my last trip to the hiking shop.

Booked my coach ticket from home to Gatwick Airport and printed off my Boarding Pass for the flight to Biarritz. Transport organised from Biarritz to SJ and hotel in SJ booked, overnight in Orrison is also confirmed.

Still got 30 days to go before the off but I'm getting butterflies already, I guess in a nice sort of way I'm starting to get nervous of the unknown. Although with all the information I've gained from this wonderful Forum and the books that I've ploughed through, I've become quite versed with the camino.

I fully aware that it's no walk in the park and I pray that I'll come out the other end a better person.

Hope to see a lot of the early September pilgrim on the Way, I'll be the old guy struggling.

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pilgrims

Had a really good day today, the little odds and ends I ordered at the beginning of the week have arrived, just a couple of small items to get, and for those it will be my last trip to the hiking shop.

Booked my coach ticket from home to Gatwick Airport and printed off my Boarding Pass for the flight to Biarritz. Transport organised from Biarritz to SJ and hotel in SJ booked, overnight in Orrison is also confirmed.

Still got 30 days to go before the off but I'm getting butterflies already, I guess in a nice sort of way I'm starting to get nervous of the unknown. Although with all the information I've gained from this wonderful Forum and the books that I've ploughed through, I've become quite versed with the camino.

I fully aware that it's no walk in the park and I pray that I'll come out the other end a better person.

Hope to see a lot of the early September pilgrim on the Way, I'll be the old guy struggling.

Buen Camino.

Hey Waka the really nice thing about walking in September is that all the youngsters have gone back to school and there are LOTS of us "old guys" struggling. You will have plenty of company and companionship! Wish I could go then, but unfortunately I am still a working stiff. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Pilgrims

Buen Camino.
You'll love it.God Bless and Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Anticipation, a sense of some uncertainty, and a couple of butterflies are all part of it.
Enjoy every emotion and sensation. I am sure you will find this as natural as walking.....

You'll get this on the second day when a bulb will probably go off over your head as it did mine. The Camino, specifically your Camino is nothing complicated. Enjoy and somehow record these emotions and experiences....you'll be ever so glad you did.
Buen Camino Pilgrim.
C

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Albertinho love the sense of humour, that's what will carry me through and, the knowledge that friends and family will be praying for me.
Just do it ! You'll see you love it. there will be times you'll think "why am I doing this" :-( but you'll experiment too that with the right attitude you'll find the happy moments.
Once found out, the camino virus awakens in you and you will long for more.
That's why we walked allready three times to Santiago.
But remind that you have to do it yourself ! I have never seen somebody carrying another person except for little children :)
At the end will be the "sweet" happiness that you made it.so put your first step and.... Buen camino. Good luck

I too will start soon (less than three weeks!) and I too am oldish -- over 60 -- and probably undertrained and over-burdened. I am feeling the butterflies, which I call excitement. Wishing you a smooth departure from home and happy feet all the way! (I'm off to remove some stuff from my pack...) Buen Camino y buena suerte a todos!

Just do it ! You'll see you love it. there will be times you'll think "why am I doing this" :-( but you'll experiment too that with the right attitude you'll find the happy moments.
Once found out, the camino virus awakens in you and you will long for more.
That's why we walked allready three times to Santiago.
But remind that you have to do it yourself ! I have never seen somebody carrying another person except for little children :)
At the end will be the "sweet" happiness that you made it.so put your first step and.... Buen camino. Good luck

What a profound and great question is "why am I doing this". On the Camino, especially going solo, you can have the time and tranquility to consider the answer which could change as you walk . I wish all those empowered to make decisions that affect others asked the same question more often. Enjoy the Autumn colours and fruits, and the great company. Walk your own pace and stop and look back often. Buen Camino. God be with you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey, hey, hey! Leaving on the 21st of August and like you, can really feel those butterflies! Lots of anxiety at this point as well as moments of bliss that I'm really going to do this as a gift from me to me for my 60th birthday! Waka, we are so lucky to have the moral support and the good wishes of seasoned pilgrims from this foum!..I wish you Buen Camino and as Tessera said: ''Happy feet all the way!''

Hey, hey, hey! Leaving on the 21st of August and like you, can really feel those butterflies! Lots of anxiety at this point as well as moments of bliss that I'm really going to do this as a gift from me to me for my 60th birthday! Waka, we are so lucky to have the moral support and the good wishes of seasoned pilgrims from this foum!..I wish you Buen Camino and as Tessera said: ''Happy feet all the way!''

You are so right, without the help from the forum I'm not sure what state I'd be in, certainly no way prepared as I am that's for sure.

The Happy Feet quote reminds me of the film, I wonder if it will be possible to get a group of pilgrims to replicate this during the camino? A challenge but worth a try.

If it hasn't already passed Happy 60th.

You are so right, without the help from the forum I'm not sure what state I'd be in, certainly no way prepared as I am that's for sure.

The Happy Feet quote reminds me of the film, I wonder if it will be possible to get a group of pilgrims to replicate this during the camino? A challenge but worth a try.

If it hasn't already passed Happy 60th.
Thanks! B-day is in Dec. but the old 'bod' is already feeling the extra year of little aches and pains but the thought of the Camino is mooting a lot of it :) Have a great time !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I too will start soon (less than three weeks!) and I too am oldish -- over 60 -- and probably undertrained and over-burdened. I am feeling the butterflies, which I call excitement. Wishing you a smooth departure from home and happy feet all the way! (I'm off to remove some stuff from my pack...) Buen Camino y buena suerte a todos!
I got a great laugh from your aside "I'm off to remove some stuff from my pack":0))). Buen Camino to you!

Thanks! B-day is in Dec. but the old 'bod' is already feeling the extra year of little aches and pains but the thought of the Camino is mooting a lot of it :) Have a great time !

Hélène -- I too am doing the Camino to celebrate my 60 years on this beautiful earth (my birthday is also in December). It seems to be a magic number, don't you think?

Oh waka don't worry after the first 100k you will just another "old guy walking" the struggling will be over hahaha have fun and besides you don't look a day over your age :)

Buen Camino
Zzotte

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've always had 'butterflies' before starting, I guess it's a step into the unknown, whether it's your first camino or the tenth ...for each will be a different experience...
Enjoy every step of the way, buen camino :)

What a profound and great question is "why am I doing this". On the Camino, especially going solo, you can have the time and tranquility to consider the answer which could change as you walk . I wish all those empowered to make decisions that affect others asked the same question more often. Enjoy the Autumn colours and fruits, and the great company. Walk your own pace and stop and look back often. Buen Camino. God be with you.
An interesting question Christy . Initialy I meant "oh my goodness" how far I have to go yet .standing in front of a huge ascending hill for example or a distance from A to B which did not suit my physical schedule.. For some it can mean..shall I go on or quit. ? For others " shake your head, take a deep breath and start all over again .new chances ... I belong to the second catagory.walked the camino 3 times in the mean time . Indeed enjoy the nature, the company , the landscape, the peace and at the end a cold beer or some tasty food.
A new day a new chance..this motto brought us all the way to Santiago.

Buen caminho

The devil is old and his old mother even older.
Read about a 90 years young guy from South Africa once on this forum who walked the camino Inglès -fairly tough walk by the way- from one cold beer to the other within a distance of about 10 kms a day !
Boa sorte, bom caminho e abraço deste lado do mundo.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Pilgrims

Buen Camino.
Hi Waka, I will wish you a great experience and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi Tessera, it's a healthy excitement. You will have a great time meeting other pilgrims along the way. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had promised myself that if I haven't walked the Camino Frances by November 2019 , I will definitely do it then , also as a 60th birthday to myself . My husband has in the meantime tentatively suggested next year. So at my work " Performance Review" recently , I broached the subject of me taking 5 weeks holidays together next year and the Boss said it wouldn't be a problem . So now I have to wait for my husbands boss to agree and then we can start planning !

I had promised myself that if I haven't walked the Camino Frances by November 2019 , I will definitely do it then , also as a 60th birthday to myself . My husband has in the meantime tentatively suggested next year. So at my work " Performance Review" recently , I broached the subject of me taking 5 weeks holidays together next year and the Boss said it wouldn't be a problem . So now I have to wait for my husbands boss to agree and then we can start planning !
My motto is never delay ! Do it now.. I speak of personal experiences and have learned after those things everything I want to do now..
so a wise decission to go earlier. Enjoy your camino

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Hélène -- I too am doing the Camino to celebrate my 60 years on this beautiful earth (my birthday is also in December). It seems to be a magic number, don't you think?
Indeed Seabird! Can't think of a nicer B-Day gift! Wish you all the best...sunrises, sunsets, breathtaking views, heartwarming welcomes, peaceful moments and wonderful new friends! Buen Camino and many happy returns :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's great! You start your Camino the minute you start planning! So you're in Camino Rooky :) Happy planning!

My motto is never delay ! Do it now.. I speak of personal experiences and have learned after those things everything I want to do now..
so a wise decission to go earlier. Enjoy your camino

Bom caminho
Just booked our flights yesterday to St. Jean arriving Sept 20th 2016. Hubby was 60 in November so decided to do what you advised and go do the Camino Frances sooner than later . I can plan a different camino for my 60th in 2019 !

Just booked our flights yesterday to St. Jean arriving Sept 20th 2016. Hubby was 60 in November so decided to do what you advised and go do the Camino Frances sooner than later . I can plan a different camino for my 60th in 2019 !
Congrats . hope you will walk many caminos.
We prepare our next aswell, being a part of the Francès from Pamplona to Burgos coming May.
We just are back from Portugal last week, invited by the owners of an albergue to celebrate Christmas and new year with them. We had a great time and even met some pilgrims who stayed with them.
Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congrats . hope you will walk many caminos.
We prepare our next aswell, being a part of the Francès from Pamplona to Burgos coming May.
We just are back from Portugal last week, invited by the owners of an albergue to celebrate Christmas and new year with them. We had a great time and even met some pilgrims who stayed with them.
Buen camino
Hi, Albertinho, what a surprise to see our most rabid Caminho Portugués fan heading to the Francés this year! I'm so tempted by the Caminho Portugues Interior, but just can't make it work this summer. Is that one you have been considering? Bom caminho, Laurie

image.jpeg
Hi, Albertinho, what a surprise to see our most rabid Caminho Portugués fan heading to the Francés this year! I'm so tempted by the Caminho Portugues Interior, but just can't make it work this summer. Is that one you have been considering? Bom caminho, Laurie
Ha ha Laurie ! Nothing as inpredictable as a human being :)
Our initial plan in 2013 was walking the Francès but it ended up with no regrets to the Portuguese. Because we head for Portugal again in May next it could be a nice idea to walk a small part of the Francès to taste a bit of it.So it will be Pamplona to Burgos.
The other day when we drove to Portugal to celebrate Christmas and new year at Casa da Fernanda we drove along the camino Francès on the motorway .stopped in Sahagún to fill up the tank (see picture) and saw familiar names from the forum passing like Carrión de los Condes and Moratines.so we are in the mood now.
We also saw a bit of the caminho Português Interior. We entered Portugal at Chaves and drove through the upper Douro area to Fernanda so have an idea what the landscape is. Maybe for the future.

When we were in Ponte de Lima the other day we thought about you :) at the paderia Ameadella -lots of peregrinos know the bakeryshop moreless oposite the bridge to the albergue-we ate the best pasteís de nata we ever had with a delicious flavour of lemon. :) can't wait to come back soon.

Bom caminho
Albert and Nel

Last edited:
Hi Pilgrims

Buen Camino.
Enjoy! I walked the Camino Frances this past Sept and Oct. It was an amazing experience. I never had a moment of wondering why I was doing this thing. I just felt fortunate to be able to walk it. Walk at your pace and soak it all up.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back