Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just An Idea!

Shauna

Time of past OR future Camino
We will be flying to Asturias airport at the start of June and should land at 10am. We want to start walking that day as we have previously spent time in Oviedo. We will have the rest of that day and a further 9 days to walk to Lugo.

Has anyone any suggestions about whether it is worth getting the bus into Oviedo to start walking from there, or could we get off bus earlier perhaps to save going right into the city? I was thinking about staying in Grado for the first night and when you look at a map it looks shorter to walk to there from the airport than go all way into Oviedo.

I have been trying to look online at maps but thought I would ask here too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't answer specifically but be careful - there was a lot of road construction when I was there last year. I flew into Asturias but started walking at Salas partly for that reason. Also several of the roads round there are elevated / in tunnels: the one the bus from Oviedo to Salas takes is like that.

I know it's 40 minutes into Oviedo on the bus and I think about another 40 from there to Salas. If you walk a short day the first day, that's very do-able, or book at Tineo so you can arrive late.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds like a GPS challenge, which can be a lot of fun, if you have a "walking route" option. Mine does, avoiding motorways and roads where pedestrians aren't allowed to walk.

Looking forward to your report!

You could take the bus from the airport to Pravia, go to the FEVE station and then the cercania (FEVE, every half hour) to Grado and then start walking.

Maps.me suggests a 30km route from Asturias Airport to Grado that is along a decent combination of minor roads and green trails. It also shows a total ascent change of 430m. If you don't have to start too late and you have a fully charged smartphone and the free app, that is certainly doable. A bus/taxi ride could shorten it if needed too.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mmm. Think we will bus it to Oviedo and then walk to Venta de Escamplero. Does anyone know if there are rooms available at El Tendejon de Fernando? Is it best to book or just take a chance?

On my last visit, in 2014, it was closed for refurbishment. There are current reviews for the restaurant on Tripe Advertiser, though not for rooms. Their website looks current, but then who can tell - once its on the internet it never goes away. Said website http://www.eltendejondefernando.es/ suggests there are rooms of available but your best bet would be to 'phone them and ask. The Albergue is ok. You pick up the key from the tienda / butchers sited about half-way between the two.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back