• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just Another Packing List

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
Part of the fun of heading out on the Camino again is refining/minimizing/updating my packing list. As I sit here on the Saturday before I leave for the Camino del Norte, I find that the only way I can distract myself from longing to be on The Way at this moment is checking and re-checking my Camino inventory. I have done this a few times, and I'd say my pack weight has gone down about 20% over the years, ditching those items that are unnecessary or too heavy.

My pack is not minimalist, as I extravagently include 2 lightweight t-shirts and 2 long sleeve shirts, as well as an iPad, but it's pretty light. I hope that anyone who has no clue what to bring may glean a little bit from this here...

(I am a male, middle aged, reasonable shape, sixth time on the Camino)

My Camino Packing List

Equipment
Backpack: Osprey Stratos 36L
Sleeping Bag: mont-bell Down Hugger 800 thermal sheet*
Poles: Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Poles*
Shoes: The North Face Hedgehog IV GTX XCR Hiking Shoes
Sandals: 1 pair flip flops
Hydration: Camelbak 2.5 Liter Bladder
Mini LED Flashlight (Single AA Lithium Battery)
Swiss army knife (W/ CORKSCREW!)
Lightweight Towel

Rain gear
Poncho: Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Tarp Poncho*
Shell: The North Face Men’s Venture Jacket
Osprey Pack Cover

Clothing
2 X Long Sleeve Quick Dry Shirts
2 X Merino Wool T Shirts
3 X exofficio boxer briefs
3 X Wigwam cool lite hiker pro quarter socks
3 X Injini Lightweight Run 2.0 Liners
1 Switchable cargo pant / cargo shorts
2 Hiking Shorts
1 Kuhl Lightweight Hoodie
1 Los Angeles Dodgers Baseball Cap

Electronics
Lightweight but not mini Tablet
Phone
Dual USB Charger & cords
Camera
Camera battery charger
2 X USA to Spain plug adapters

Toiletries
Doctor Bonner’s All Purpose Bar Soap*
Toothbrush
Disposable Razor
Travel size Toothpaste
Travel size Deodorant
Travel size foot powder
Body Glide Anti Chafe Balm
Rogaine Foam

Misc
1 Nike Team Training Gymsack (little lightweight bag for shower and about town)*
6 X wooden clothespins
1 Thread and needle kit
1 mini bottle 1/2 Naproxen (Aleve) 1/2 Anti-diarrhea Pills
1 tube sunblock
3 travel packs flushable moist wipes
2 Patellar Tendon Knee Braces

Total Pack Weight: 16 lbs. / 7.2 Kilos

* = items I haven’t taken on Camino before so jury is still out

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
May I suggest some benedryl tablets? In 2012 I had an allegic reaction to something used on an apple on the Camino. Whelps, lips swollen, etc. the benedryl sure came in handy. Not to mention possible bee sting.

Cool list Damien - you are a veteran and I see you have chosen to carry extra clothes over frequency of laundering (such as two pairs of shorts when you have zip-offs as well -
I was wondering about those little solar chargers - I'm about to start a thread about them ... could be good for those carrying electronics to be free of wall socket searching!

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I´d change those clothes pegs for safety pins.

Ondo Ibili !

Hmmm... to serve the same purpose? I haven't thought of that... is that a weight/bulk saving thing or a performance thing? Kinda hesitant to poke a bunch of holes in my clothes...

As far as the benadryl, that is the type of thing I'd pick up in Spain if I need it (never have yet)...

Thank you for giving the brand and description, it really helps when looking at what gear to bring. As I slowly begin to plan my first camino (Sept-Oct 2015), it is posts like this that help so very much.
Suzanne :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just got a similar backpack. What was your weight of the backpack when ready to go without water?

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.