• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just back from the Geira

peregrina2000

Staff member
When I got to Braga on the Torres, I switched over to the Geira. I relied a lot on @jungleboy’s thread to figure out my stages. His thread and the notes about distances that I had copied down from the guidebook (which I did not bring) were really all I needed. Calling a day in advance was all that was necessary.

No albergues, except for the albergue in Caldelas, on the first day from Braga. I had planned to stay there, but as I walked into town, I saw on the left a very pleasant garden with tables in front of the Corredoura Garden hostal. There was a room, so I just took it. I was glad I hadn’t called ahead to the albergue.

One website that has info on the several camino options from Braga, debragaasantiago.com has an over the top warning that they do not recommend walking this camino now because of issues with marking. NONSENSE, at least if you have a GPS. Just as I did on the Torres, I had offline tracks and maps on wikiloc. I had my phone in my waist pack. The app beeps at you if you take a wrong turn. That’s all you need.

This is a great combination to consider with the Torres, but you have to be prepared for no albergues (except Caldelas) and no peregrinos. I spend two weeks in Lisbon every year teaching a course (in English), and I found I had enough Portuguese to intereact with people. I had some really wonderful encounters.

My FindPenguins site has more info, but I would be very happy to give opinions, answer questions, etc.

It’s a great caminho, I would walk it again happily, but there are no peregrinos. You will find people/walkers/ramblers in the area around the Peneda Geres park, so that’s a nice occasional break from the solitude, but I found I was very happy to just walk with me and my unwinding brain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I got to Braga on the Torres, I switched over to the Geira. I relied a lot on @jungleboy’s thread to figure out my stages. His thread and the notes about distances that I had copied down from the guidebook (which I did not bring) were really all I needed. Calling a day in advance was all that was necessary.

No albergues, except for the albergue in Caldelas, on the first day from Braga. I had planned to stay there, but as I walked into town, I saw on the left a very pleasant garden with tables in front of the Corredoura Garden hostal. There was a room, so I just took it. I was glad I hadn’t called ahead to the albergue.

One website that has info on the several camino options from Braga, debragaasantiago.com has an over the top warning that they do not recommend walking this camino now because of issues with marking. NONSENSE, at least if you have a GPS. Just as I did on the Torres, I had offline tracks and maps on wikiloc. I had my phone in my waist pack. The app beeps at you if you take a wrong turn. That’s all you need.

This is a great combination to consider with the Torres, but you have to be prepared for no albergues (except Caldelas) and no peregrinos. I spend two weeks in Lisbon every year teaching a course (in English), and I found I had enough Portuguese to intereact with people. I had some really wonderful encounters.

My FindPenguins site has more info, but I would be very happy to give opinions, answer questions, etc.

It’s a great caminho, I would walk it again happily, but there are no peregrinos. You will find people/walkers/ramblers in the area around the Peneda Geres park, so that’s a nice occasional break from the solitude, but I found I was very happy to just walk with me and my unwinding brain.
What a fabulous walk! There are so many beautiful paths of solitude in Europe, despite a relatively dense population. Sure appreciate you (and jungleboy earlier) for taking us along. There's a December ticket to Lisbon with my name on it and you've put this smile of anticipation on my face with your presentation. Thank you!

So happy everything worked out well this time! Your photos were wonderful!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back