• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just back from Via Gebennensis

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Camino Portuguese and Primitivo
Just walked Geneva to Le Puy starting 21 August. I last walked this route in 2010, before I was diagnosed with cancer.
This time it seemed so much harder. There was a heatwave on with Temps to 40 C a lot of the time. No rain at all.
On day one I got lost and instead of 16 km out of Geneva in the afternoon I walked 26 and arrived at 8 pm on the skin of my teeth before closed doors at the gite I had booked...long story...on top of this my newish orthotics caused a grave inflammatory response and I ended up with plantar fasciitis, extensor tendonitis and black toenails on day one.
I had forgotten how challenging the trails were. Washed out, full of loose stones and rocks and very steep.
A lot of days there is 1000 or more meters of elevation difference.
My foot was swollen and extremely painful. I hitchhiked a couple of times, but then just kept on going.
Should have worn boots rather than hiking shoes too.
The landscape is fabulous and I loved staying in Accueil St Jacques, interspersed with a couple of gite d'etapes, communal gites and chambre d'hotes. It was a very rich experience and I would not have missed it. Budget wise I averaged Euro 45 per day all up. ( This included a large beer a day at € 4.50 ). A lot of the Accueil St Jacques now suggest a minimum amount...they are officially by donation only but have got a bit fed up with the number of people leaving 5 or so Euros after sleeping in fresh sheets, having a 4 course dinner with wine and breakfast in the morning....often they say these are people who can obviously afford to pay and it has left a bit of a mark.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Gittiharre,

So good to read about your latest Camino. You obviously had some challenging moments on this route. Did you meet some pilgrims en route?

Take care of the feet!

Hi Gittiharre,

So good to read about your latest Camino. You obviously had some challenging moments on this route. Did you meet some pilgrims en route?

Take care of the feet!
Yes there were others on and off. A few days we didn't see anyone and then there were about a dozen or so others we would bump into repeatedly. Lovely and quiet and no problems finding accommodation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would love to hear more about your journey. Did you blog?
We walked St. Gallen to Geneva this year and have already walked Le Puy to Santiago and so would like to do this section...perhaps next year.
And we were in Switzerland walking the same time as when you were in France and yes it was VERY hot and dry.

I would love to hear more about your journey. Did you blog?
We walked St. Gallen to Geneva this year and have already walked Le Puy to Santiago and so would like to do this section...perhaps next year.
And we were in Switzerland walking the same time as when you were in France and yes it was VERY hot and dry.
I did blog, but haven't got it up on my site yet and I blogged minimally as my foot was too painful for me to bother..
My site is www.gittiharre.blogspot.com.
Should be up in a week or so. There is a blog for this route from 2010 on the site.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did blog, but haven't got it up on my site yet and I blogged minimally as my foot was too painful for me to bother..
My site is www.gittiharre.blogspot.com.
Should be up in a week or so. There is a blog for this route from 2010 on the site.
Hi Gittiharre, I have read your account of walking from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay with great enjoyment.
So much so that I might give it a shot myself next April/May!!
You have a list of accommodation for this route which you make available if requested by PM.
How do I post a Pm?
I'm not too IT literate .
Thanks for your enjoyable and informative post: Tom

Hi Gittiharre, I have read your account of walking from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay with great enjoyment.
So much so that I might give it a shot myself next April/May!!
You have a list of accommodation for this route which you make available if requested by PM.
How do I post a Pm?
I'm not too IT literate .
Thanks for your enjoyable and informative post: Tom
Thank you Tom! I would start as late as possible in May as it could still be very cold in April and early May.
I only have a list of places where I stayed if that helps. You do pm via Private Conversation....start a conversation.
Regards Gitti

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Tom! I would start as late as possible in May as it could still be very cold in April and early May.
I only have a list of places where I stayed if that helps. You do pm via Private Conversation....start a conversation.
Regards Gitti

Thanks for that advice about starting late in the Spring. I'll look for the private conversation link now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back