• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just Back!!!(Logrono-Burgos)

Cecilia Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Francis Easter 2014
Wasn't sure what to expect but guided by my sister-in-law Jane(she did St Jean-Logrono last year AND is fluent in Spanish!) off we flew to Bilbao to start the Camino Frances in Logrono. It was Maundy Thursday and the Easter 'passos' were in full flow-the 'pentinentes' looked like Klu Klux Klan members but we were reassured by a local that their faces are covered to ensure that this is THEIR personal way of praying/confessing to God. Lovely walk to Navarette and a nice stay in the Casa del Peregrino and the BEST dinner in the Deportivo café opposite the church(VERY BLING Altar!). On to Najara but it was Easter weekend so everywhere was full and we stayed in the Municpal Alberque for 5 minutes before realising there was no way we could sleep with 88 others in one room. Tourist office found us nice small hostal with 7 beds the first night and a double the next. Went to the STUNNING San Millan monastery well worth a day off for. Then onto Santo Domingo de Calzada and it was very English weather(wet and muddy)but the lunch at the golf course fuelled us on. Stayed in the larger hostel run by Cistercian nuns perfect. Next day aimed to walk to Belorado but it was too far so found the Casa Rural at Villamayor perfect for one night. Then on to Attapeurca and the BEST alberque San Anton-wonderful host wife and son couldn't do enough massive rooms great food! Then onto Attapeurca small hostal El Peregrino fine for a night and a GREAT menu in the bar El Palomar where Juanito the owner will entertain you with his singing and expect you to sing as well. And then our final stop Burgos! Stayed in the 18 bed Divina Pastoral-but couldn't sleep with all the snoring but it was only 5 E's!!! So we splashed out at the Hotel Nortes y Londres which was a real treat with a bath and other peregrinos mid-trip. Cathedral is astonishing and we even indulged in retail therapy!
Highlights?The people you meet, the craic on the road and the lovely food and drink.Met a guy walking from Fatima to Lourdes! Came back refreshed, tired and wanting to go back!!!
Don't worry about what to take-the minute you are on the road and packing and unpacking the rhythm of the Camino soon kicks in!!! Cecilia x

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sounds like you had a fantastic time. I've put San Millan monastery and the albergues in San Anton and Santo Domino on my don't-miss list for my fall Camino, and I learned a new word! Thank you!
Urban Dictionary: craic
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=craic
Irish word for fun/enjoyment that has been brought into the English languag, usually when mixed with alcohol and/or music.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Cecilia.
I see you write your location as Sale, Greater Manchester. Isn't it Sale, Cheshire anymore. ( I was born there)!
Now that you have given the Camino a try, you should plan continuing where you left off! Anne

Hi Cecilia.
I see you write your location as Sale, Greater Manchester. Isn't it Sale, Cheshire anymore. ( I was born there)!
Now that you have given the Camino a try, you should plan continuing where you left off! Anne

Hi Anne
I didn't;t put Sale Greater Manchester -it just comes up that way. Yes I still write Sale Cheshire . I plan to carry on walking perhaps Burgos and beyond in October. It is quite addictive!!Cecilia x

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sounds like you had a fantastic time. I've put San Millan monastery and the albergues in San Anton and Santo Domino on my don't-miss list for my fall Camino, and I learned a new word! Thank you!
Urban Dictionary: craic
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=craic
Irish word for fun/enjoyment that has been brought into the English languag, usually when mixed with alcohol and/or music.

Mary
There is great craic on the Camino-one minute you're doing your laundry; the next minute you're sharing some wine with a new group of pilgrims !!! It's the randomness of the journey that is special.No two days ever the same!!!
Cecilia x

Hi Anne
I didn't;t put Sale Greater Manchester -it just comes up that way. Yes I still write Sale Cheshire . I plan to carry on walking perhaps Burgos and beyond in October. It is quite addictive!!Cecilia x
Addictive it is! We are making tentative plans to walk from Montserrat to Santiago, leaving first days of September, so you never know, by the time we reach the Frances we might even meet up! Anne

Wasn't sure what to expect but guided by my sister-in-law Jane(she did St Jean-Logrono last year AND is fluent in Spanish!) off we flew to Bilbao to start the Camino Frances in Logrono. It was Maundy Thursday and the Easter 'passos' were in full flow-the 'pentinentes' looked like Klu Klux Klan members but we were reassured by a local that their faces are covered to ensure that this is THEIR personal way of praying/confessing to God. Lovely walk to Navarette and a nice stay in the Casa del Peregrino and the BEST dinner in the Deportivo café opposite the church(VERY BLING Altar!). On to Najara but it was Easter weekend so everywhere was full and we stayed in the Municpal Alberque for 5 minutes before realising there was no way we could sleep with 88 others in one room. Tourist office found us nice small hostal with 7 beds the first night and a double the next. Went to the STUNNING San Millan monastery well worth a day off for. Then onto Santo Domingo de Calzada and it was very English weather(wet and muddy)but the lunch at the golf course fuelled us on. Stayed in the larger hostel run by Cistercian nuns perfect. Next day aimed to walk to Belorado but it was too far so found the Casa Rural at Villamayor perfect for one night. Then on to Attapeurca and the BEST alberque San Anton-wonderful host wife and son couldn't do enough massive rooms great food! Then onto Attapeurca small hostal El Peregrino fine for a night and a GREAT menu in the bar El Palomar where Juanito the owner will entertain you with his singing and expect you to sing as well. And then our final stop Burgos! Stayed in the 18 bed Divina Pastoral-but couldn't sleep with all the snoring but it was only 5 E's!!! So we splashed out at the Hotel Nortes y Londres which was a real treat with a bath and other peregrinos mid-trip. Cathedral is astonishing and we even indulged in retail therapy!
Highlights?The people you meet, the craic on the road and the lovely food and drink.Met a guy walking from Fatima to Lourdes! Came back refreshed, tired and wanting to go back!!!
Don't worry about what to take-the minute you are on the road and packing and unpacking the rhythm of the Camino soon kicks in!!! Cecilia x

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great synopsis Cecilia! October is a great time to move on from Burgos into the Meseta, so go at it! You actually stayed at two places that I also highly recommend; Hotel Norte y Londres and with the Cistercian Nuns in Sto Domingo de la Calzada. I will be glad to provide recs on places to stay from Burgos on, if needed.

Thanks for a great report Cecilia! I'm walking from Logrono to Burgos at the end of July with my mother. She has been walking various routes along the Camino for years but it'll be my first time and I'm excited but also a bit apprehensive. The information about where you stayed was really useful, i've taken some notes! We're flying into Madrid and then taking the bus up to Logrono. Hopefully i'll find it as addictive as you did. Thank you. Becky

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.