• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just back

S

Sojourner47

Arrived home yesterday after the CI - did the "traditional" way of 5 stages.
Rained continously for the first 2 days, then beautiful hot sunshine for the rest of the week.
It was very lonely - I overtook a Spanish couple outside Betanzos, and met then again at H da B albergue, apart from them I didn't see anyone else. This was my first camino, and on the whole I enjoyed it - apart from the blisters!!! (so much for all I've said about 1000 mile socks.....)
There were some nice forest sections, but a lot of tarmac, albeit on very minor roads with virtually no traffic. I used Johnny Walker's guide, and noted a few differences, which I will update him - if anyone wants any info feel free to PM me.
I did get lost a couple of times, and was badly misdirected by a (wellmeaning??) local,at such times it would have been comforting to have a companion, or another pilgrim in sight to boost one's spirits. Apart from that the route finding was OK. I reckon I did about 125ks by the finish!!
Ticked all the boxes: got the compostela, went to pilgrim's mass, hugged St James, visited the crypt and saw the botafumeiro swinging.
I'm sure I will be back for more. :D
PS. I stayed at:
Ferrol - El Cairo, 25 euros ensuite room
Pontedeume - Bar Louis, 12 E
Betanzos - Chocolateria , 15E
Hospital da Bruma - Albergue, 5E
Sigueiro - Hostal Miras, 16E
SDC - Minor Seminary, 2 nights 15E each night for individual room

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well done!!

It is shocking that "1000 mile" socks are more about advertising than reality, shocking. They are probably very good socks among a field of very good socks. Dry feet, lubricant, stopping for hot spots, Compeed. Foot treatment stops blisters, not socks. Sorry you had to endure blisters. Is there any comfort in knowing you are not the first one?? I doubt it. Still, well done, and many happy returns.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sojourner47...welcome back!

We hear of the great beginnings along the Way, but It's always good to hear from peregrinos that are home and decompressing.

I am one that appreciates a clean well written "hot wash up" and then savor the extended version once all the "noise" abates.

JW covers the CI very well, please consider more reflection and insight.

Arn

Thanks Sojourner47. I'm planning on the CI in October with my daughter. Time constraints will mean the A Coruna variation, but I'm really looking forward to getting on the Camino again and walking with her for the first time. I'd really appreciate your reflections on it all,

Andy

Hola
Welcome back and well done on your CI. It was good to read your report. I too have never seen anyone else on this route but are off again soon so perhaps this will change.
Saludos, Liz

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well done, sojourner!

The CI is a really great route and we enjoyed it!

Looking forward to more of your observations.

It is a nice way, Sojourner. And, I find, different in character from other ways.

I'm surprised that in April there were no other pilgs., tho' this allows space for personal reflection, and that is important.

(You had better weather than I did! )

Thanks for your post, S, and

buen camino for the next!

Well done Sojourner, and congratulations on doing your Camino.

We are walking the Camino Ingles and also our first in July, and really looking forward to it.

We thought about buying some of those socks,to help, but we'll just use the
ones we are used to, after your problems.

Thanks for your comments on the route.

best wishes
Neil

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well done and thanks too for the PM with the comments on the route.

Hi there !

I am going to walk the Camino in the middle of May and I am starting to get a bit nervous ... !

I am very much looking forward to it but I have a couple of questions:

(1) I only have about 5 days (realistically) and I intend to do the traditional 5 stages route. I have, however, seen another route that goes from Ferrol to A Coruna and then down to Santiago. I would love to do this route as A Coruna is supposed to be amazing but I wondered whether you knew anything about this ? How long is the route ? etc?

(2) I have also read JW's guide which is very helpful indeed ! I have noticed however, that you must rely mostly on following the scallop shells on the camino (ie the walking instructions are not detailed along the route itself). Is this ever confusing? Is there anything I need to look out for to avoid getting lost?

(3) Do I need a sleeping bag ?

Thanks !!

Francesca

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
you must rely mostly on following the scallop shells on the camino (ie the walking instructions are not detailed along the route itself). Is this ever confusing? Is there anything I need to look out for to avoid getting lost?
On all the routes you need to be alert. Waymarks are almost always there, but they may not be obvious. The shells and yellow arrows are all that many pilgrims use, leaving books and maps at home.
If you normally get cold at night, yes. Otherwise, a silk-type liner is sufficient. It will provide about 11 degrees F of warming, which will be enough. Blankets, not necessarily cleaned regularly, are available at the cold albergues. Have fun!

Thank you for this recent update on the CI with prices and a review of the paths/roads. We hope to start on the CI about June 10 from Ferrol and take 5-6 days. We have the CSJ guide.
Regards Jill

Francesca1983 said:
I(1) I only have about 5 days (realistically) and I intend to do the traditional 5 stages route. I have, however, seen another route that goes from Ferrol to A Coruna and then down to Santiago. I would love to do this route as A Coruna is supposed to be amazing but I wondered whether you knew anything about this ? How long is the route ? etc?

(2) I have also read JW's guide which is very helpful indeed ! I have noticed however, that you must rely mostly on following the scallop shells on the camino (ie the walking instructions are not detailed along the route itself). Is this ever confusing? Is there anything I need to look out for to avoid getting lost?

(3) Do I need a sleeping bag ? Francesca

Hola

You will see in the guide book that the Camino Ingles has two routes - one which leaves from A Coruna and the other from Ferrol. The route from A Coruna takes three days approximately and does not attract a Compostela at the end because of its length. The other from Ferrol takes approximately 5 days and does attract a Compostela if you wish one. Both are very nice routes. They both join at Hospital de Bruma where there is an excellent albergue.

The stages you do are dependent on whether you will use hostals/hotels or albergues:

Ferrol – Pontedeume 25 kms
Pontedeume – Betanzos 20 kms
Betanzos – Hospital de Bruma 29 kms
Hospital de Bruma – Sigüeiro 24 kms
Sigüeiro – Santiago de Compostela 16 kms

For those wishing to use albergues:
Ferrol – Neda 11 kms
Neda – Miño 27 kms
Miño – Hospital de Bruma 38 kms

Waymarking:

The Camino Ingles is very well waymarked. With the guide you do not need anything else.

Sleeping bag

If you are sleeping in hostals/hotels you do not need a sleeping bag.
In mid May I would take a sleeping bag - I suspect blankets are not available at least at Neda and Mino.

Best wishes

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Francesca1983 said:
Hi there !

I am going to walk the Camino in the middle of May and I am starting to get a bit nervous ... !
(1) I only have about 5 days (realistically) and I intend to do the traditional 5 stages route. I have, however, seen another route that goes from Ferrol to A Coruna and then down to Santiago. I would love to do this route as A Coruna is supposed to be amazing but I wondered whether you knew anything about this ? How long is the route ? etc?

Thanks !!

Francesca
The mundicamino website shows a route that turn west south of Betanzos and goes through San Marcos towards Cambre/Carral but without actually going into Coruña itself. This might be what you have seen.
We have been looking at going through San Marcos to break up the long day to Bruma, but it will add an extra day and mean using a map to rejoin the Camino near Fontán. If we want to see Coruña we'll catch a bus there after we've reached Santiago.
W are planning to take lightweight (850gm) sleeping bags comfort rating 5C so thanks for that info Johnnie, it confirms our decision.
Have a great Camino Francesca, we'll be about a week ahead of you.
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

I took a light (600grm) down bag,and used it at Hospital da Bruma albergue and the Minor Seminary in SDC. However, in the event, both places had blankets - clean - so I could have got away without it.
(and both supplied paper pillow case and bottom sheet)

Congratulations on your accomplishment! I did the CI last August so still fresh on my mind. It was great experience.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did enjoy the Camino Ingles, it was very pleasant walking, nice scenery and enough ups,downs and flats to give variety.The people along the way were,with one exception, very helpful and friendly, despite my limited spanish.The food, wine and lodgings were fine - Benino at the H da B albergue even rigged up sticks over the heater so I could dry my washed clothes. The birds sang, the flowers were in bloom, the sun shone for 5 days out of 7.I did get lost a couple of times, but that was probably my own fault, for not paying enough attention.Santiago was everything I imagined - I could have spent longer there just wandering around the old town.
Strangely, the one thing I didn't expect was the dark mornings: Spain is 1 hour ahead of the UK, and Galicia far to the west, so even in April it doesn't get light until 8am. I like to start out long before then, which wouldn't be a problem later in the year.
To switch to another thread, the one thing I wished I'd taken, despite the extra weight, was something to read - in the evenings I was reduced to trying to work out the number of words of 4 letters or more that one can make out of "Constantinople",
- how sad is that? (I got up to 210)
The walk, although somewhat lonely, did give a modicum of thinking time,which is no bad thing...Perhaps I will take a more frequented route next time, though, as with most things, it's swings and roundabouts, and I may well do the CI again .

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.