• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just been Told off

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Here I am sat at home on the computer checking up on the latests posts (as I do a few times a day when I'm home) and Management has just popped her head around the door and said, "you can't wait to go again can you" well what's a chap to say, I feel really hurt.

I now have all the guide books for Hadrians Wall (all booked and doing that in Sept this year), the pilgrim route Winchester to Canterbury (scheduled for the same time 2017), Camino Ingles, Finisterre Muxia that's on the cards for April 2018. On these three planned routes I will be accompanied by Management, I just don't understand why Management is not as excited as I am, she was when joining me at Sarria for the last 100 km of my CF.

I've also sorted the route for the VDLP, looks like this will be 2019, and to top it all I'd like to do the CF again.
All I need to do is book the flights, but even I know that's a bit early to get a cheap flight.
Anybody else have the same problems as me?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me next year the Camino Norte stay on the program.
At the same time my wife will walk the Camino Aragones.And after next year, who knows? ???
We don't walk long distances together, when we do , we probably and up divorsed. The main reason is that our difference in hight, she is 1.59mtr. and I'm 1.97mtr. is the problem. Well you can't win them all.
Wish you well, Peter.

This positive addictive thing call the Camino is worth every step you take. You can always find people here that understand what it is all about. As soon as I get home, my wife asks me If I plan to walk again? Of course, I have an answer for her. As you know, walking into Santiago is anticlimactic and the only way to deal with this depression is to start planning for next year. That works for me anyway.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes Waka, I do understand and commiserate with you.

For me next year the Camino Norte stay on the program.
At the same time my wife will walk the Camino Aragones.And after next year, who knows? ???
We don't walk long distances together, when we do , we probably and up divorsed. The main reason is that our difference in hight, she is 1.59mtr. and I'm 1.97mtr. is the problem. Well you can't win them all.
Wish you well, Peter.
You mean you don't see eye to eye on the matter?

Here I am sat at home on the computer checking up on the latests posts (as I do a few times a day when I'm home) and Management has just popped her head around the door and said, "you can't wait to go again can you" well what's a chap to say, I feel really hurt.

I now have all the guide books for Hadrians Wall (all booked and doing that in Sept this year), the pilgrim route Winchester to Canterbury (scheduled for the same time 2017), Camino Ingles, Finisterre Muxia that's on the cards for April 2018. On these three planned routes I will be accompanied by Management, I just don't understand why Management is not as excited as I am, she was when joining me at Sarria for the last 100 km of my CF.

I've also sorted the route for the VDLP, looks like this will be 2019, and to top it all I'd like to do the CF again.
All I need to do is book the flights, but even I know that's a bit early to get a cheap flight.

She's probably just steeling herself for the pain of your departure and putting a brave face on it . . . .

Let me know when you get to Canterbury next year and I'll buy you a beverage of your choice. And don't get suckered in to paying the £12 entrance fee to the cathedral (I KNOW, right?) - you can go in to the Information Office if you want a stamp - I like to get one there as the first on my credential and Santiago as the last.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As you know, walking into Santiago is anticlimactic and the only way to deal with this depression is to start planning for next year. That works for me anyway./QUOTE]

It really is anticlimactic, isn't it? I was downright sad and disappointed when I arrived in Santiago. I've spoken to many pilgrims who, when asked if they'd do it again, look at me with such incredulity and say "Why would I do it again?" My response is that I will definitely, absolutely do it again. The sooner the better. In fact, I've often felt like running away and going right back now (and I've only been home for a month!) It's so wonderful to have people out there who can relate!! :)

Too funny! As this will be my first Camino, no response on that

I have just given my long suffering partner the book by Tony Kevin on the Via de la Plata. This could be described as a thinking man's guide. It was read from cover to cover and discussed at length afterwards.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
She's probably just steeling herself for the pain of your departure and putting a brave face on it . . . .

Let me know when you get to Canterbury next year and I'll buy you a beverage of your choice. And don't get suckered in to paying the £12 entrance fee to the cathedral (I KNOW, right?) - you can go in to the Information Office if you want a stamp - I like to get one there as the first on my credential and Santiago as the last.

I'll take you up on that Jeff.

This positive addictive thing call the Camino is worth every step you take. You can always find people here that understand what it is all about. As soon as I get home, my wife asks me If I plan to walk again? Of course, I have an answer for her. As you know, walking into Santiago is anticlimactic and the only way to deal with this depression is to start planning for next year. That works for me anyway.

Buen Camino

I really agree and when I saw the Land Train I was even more disappointed, but I know I'll do it again, maybe next time it will be different.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I'd say that "Management" is busy managing but still is looking forward to your plans - unless they happen to be your plans and not hers. Referring to another pilgrimage described in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, take heed of the Wife of Bath's tale! Seriously, many of us have patient, kind, and understanding significant others who encourage us --which is why they are our significant others. My spouse, who would never walk the Camino, and I walked Hadrian's Wall Path in June, and we both enjoyed it. BTW, the path does not follow the Wall itself between Wallsend and Heddon-on-the-Wall. If you want to follow the Wall, get "Walking Hadrian's Wall on Tyneside," a pamphlet guide published by Wallquest, a project of the Tyne&Wear Archives & Museums. The Segedunum and Arbeia forts would have copies. Buen camino to you both!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Got the addiction but lack the nerve. Ian Holdsworth from Northampton used to take groups from the diocese, which was how I got started, walking along with four others. Does anyone in England know of anyone else doing the same?

I'm not aware of any church groups from my area doing anything like that. We've done the pilgrimages to Rome / Assisi etc as a church group. That was for maximum 8 days, I'm not too sure I'd like to spend a whole camino with a church group, for me the diversity of the people and the loneliness of the days is what makes it for me.

Not my fault I'm a sad lonely old man who only wants company in the evenings

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my 67 years I never really felt as comfortable as in the Camino.

You and me both. I really feel that I've missed out on so much by only finding out about the camino last year. Now I have to play catch up before it's too late. I'll be 70 on the next camino, but as long as I can walk I'll be going back.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, you're not alone, Waka. 'Did my first Camino two months ago. Wife gets upset at any mention of it, leading up to and after. 'Can't even talk about it to my family, not to mention friends who ask about the experience. It's complicated and difficult, and a subject that I have not seen discussed, but I'm sure we're not the only ones.

This year was testing and there were many times that "Why?", "Why not just stop?" and "This is my last time." lingered around in my head and heart. But well, you know.... :)
So, where are your thoughts going now, with respect to next time? Have you distilled any lessons or advice for us? (I fully expect some responses related to distillation of things other than thoughts.)

Only that we get blase about things in life until a rude awakening. Still limping around but nowhere near as bad as on the Camino.

During and after the walk I often said that I would never contemplate doing many different things:-
1 walking anywhere again
2 walking 1000 miles again
3 walking the Mozarabe again
4 walking more than a week or so
5 carrying a pack again
6 partying so hard at the end
7 ......
BUT
1 I keep seeing the photos on my desktop screensaver
2 I keep remembering the hospitality
3 I remember the fellow pilgrims I was finally able to share with
4 .....

I am going to be a little tied up the next couple of years so who knows what and when. All I know is that I would be quite surprised if there wasn't a when! Let's face facts we all know I am an addict! :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Only that we get blase about things in life until a rude awakening. Still limping around but nowhere near as bad as on the Camino.

During and after the walk I often said that I would never contemplate doing many different things:-
1 walking anywhere again
2 walking 1000 miles again
3 walking the Mozarabe again
4 walking more than a week or so
5 carrying a pack again
6 partying so hard at the end
7 ......
BUT
1 I keep seeing the photos on my desktop screensaver
2 I keep remembering the hospitality
3 I remember the fellow pilgrims I was finally able to share with
4 .....

I am going to be a little tied up the next couple of years so who knows what and when. All I know is that I would be quite surprised if there wasn't a when! Let's face facts we all know I am an addict! :(

Al,
From one addict to another Godspeed and Ultreia!

"...and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Ulysses
, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

And there was I feeling slightly ashamed of researching 2017's camino (Vía Serrana/VdlP) before I've done 2016's (Mozárabe from Almería). If you do Hadrian's Wall next month and fancy a pint, let me know - I live about 3 miles from Brampton, just on the "civilisation" side of the wall.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And there was I feeling slightly ashamed of researching 2017's camino (Vía Serrana/VdlP) before I've done 2016's (Mozárabe from Almería). If you do Hadrian's Wall next month and fancy a pint, let me know - I live about 3 miles from Brampton, just on the "civilisation" side of the wall.
@alansykes
Which side would that be?

@alansykes
Which side would that be?
Just inside the Roman Empire, although, like most borderers, I have barbarian (or, if you prefer, Scottish) blood as well. Peaceful now, but I sometimes get an urge to steal a sheep on my rare ventures across into Pictish lands. We gave three words to the English language, "blackmail" (greenmail was lawful rent, blackmail was the "rent" paid not to have your farm burnt down) "bereaved" after the reivers who collected the blackmail, and would leave you bereaved if you didn't pay it and kidnap (child nab or steal).

This is a life-time addiction. Thank goodness for this forum or else I would think that there is something seriously wrong with me pschologically!! I just can't get the Camino out of my mind and am devastated that we have to wait until 2019 before we can go again!! My hubby and I feel the same and realise that this was a life-changing experience that we want to revisit. We plan to complete the CF from SJean to Leon and then continue on to the Del Norte. We will need some serious leave so no holidays for the next two years - no worries, it's worth it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't have problems with management, but I sure have the same problem with "I will just do one more Camino" and before I know I am starting to plan the Camino after the next Camino,
, after the next Camino, and after the next...who says the old threads shouldn't be resurrected! Lol.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.