• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just bought the wrong shoes...

cilento

I just bought these new boots which I was advised would be perfect for walking the Camino for 30 days. Then, as I was reading the "Walking in Spain" book put out by Lonely Planet, the author says that he would not recommend "stiff alpine hiking boots" for this walk because "the variety of surfaces and long stretches of gently rolling terrain require more flexible, all-round, sturdy walking shoes or boots."

Could you please tell me what you wore on your Camino? I need to know if I should return my boots.

Thanks,
Nick

Here's the url to see what I have

[edit by Ivar: Created link of the long url that was making the post become really wide]

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Nick, which Camino will u be walking & during what time of the year? That info, as well as what u feel comfortable with, is ur answer. Am sure u'll get a zillion helpful replies, it is ultimately a personal dcision. I got me, a pair of Danne trekking shoes, this time around, GORE-TEX, kinda flexible. But hold on and wait for more feedback, u just may have the right shoes. Best, xm 8)

I ONLY wear new balance so i bought the hightop gortex New Balance 976. They were magnifcant. i walked 885km. make sure they are strong to cover that much ground
dawn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmm... You really want something kinda light and breathable... Have a look at Meindl Softline GTX are pretty good.

Are your boots comfortable?

You are just as likely to find that whatever is recommended here and suited the poster down to a T does not suit you.

You will see all sorts of boots on the way
Boots10.jpg

Boots7.jpg

Boots3.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great pics William, no choices left out :lol: . Flexibility + Gore-Tex, could these be common denominators in Camino shoesware?

But beware Gore-Tex boots in the late spring /summer / early autumn when the sun will make the feet sweat and little rain to protect your feet against (I prefer to take some waterproof socks instead - though I haven't had to try them out yet)

second pair of walking shoes

If it is any consolation, I have already bought a second pair of walking shoes. I realised after a few long walks that I had really bought a size smaller than I needed.

And as a backpacker of long standing I would have to say you shouldn't panic about differing from Lonely Planet. Their expertise is variable and sometimes even plain wrong.

I love the pics of all those boots /shoes / sandles too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Haven't had probs with " Gore-Tex boots in the late spring /summer." Well, as of yet, u never know... Best, xm

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"bought a second pair of walking shoes...bought a size smaller than I needed..."

Have had that happen to me. In my case I was unable to return them because they "had already been used!" I donated them...

"...shouldn't panic about differing from Lonely Planet. Their expertise is variable and sometimes even plain wrong..."

And for any guides, suggestions we may give, et al, for that matter. It's that "voice, the "voice," that makes the final decision for us all :lol: :!:

Best, xm 8)

Minkey, my new balance are EXTREMELY light, and i found walking in may and june no problem with them being gortex. Your feet are #1, get the boots alittle bigger and wear wool socks. Change them often. d

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry minkey, it is still early here in the west coast. your comment

You really want something kinda light and breathable

i thought you were referring to my botts. definately good advice.
dawn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
HOMBRE,?????????? No it is senorita!!!!!!

Actually, in this case, it would be: mujer :!: (woman :!: ), an expression used a lot in Spain :lol:

U know, after reading all these posts am almost decided to buy another pair of shoes, a size larger. In the recent past when I've returned from the Caminos I've been loosing a nail on the same (left foot) toe :!: I thought I had been using shoes a size larger, maybe I need two sizes larger :!:

Best,

xm 8)

Different feet sizes

xm said:
I thought I had been using shoes a size larger, maybe I need two sizes larger. xm 8)

I can relate to xm here. I am one of nature's unfortunates who have feet almost one size different betwixt left and right, which makes choosing boots an interesting exercise :roll:

BTW, I liked the footwear pics in other posts. I have tried to paste a pic using the "Img*" thingy, but can't get it to work for me. Por qué?

I will be using my faithful leather Scarpa hiking boots (1.4kg), but I recently did a loaded 22km hike mostly on a paved road, and it was tough on the feet. For me, hiking on road/concrete is a much different foot experience than hiking over broken terrain.

I rather like the new goretex type boots for lightness and will re-evaluate my boots after my camino.

Regards
Bob M

I can relate to xm here. I am one of nature's unfortunates who have feet almost one size different betwixt left and right, which makes choosing boots an interesting exercise

BobM, how do u resolve the issue? Don't know of any places that will sell u indiv shoe sizes...maybe I could mix 'em up, I mean, if u + I have this prob, am sure others could benefit from the mix :wink: Best, xm 8)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
xm said:
BobM, how do u resolve the issue? Don't know of any places that will sell u indiv shoe sizes...maybe I could mix 'em up, I mean, if u + I have this prob, am sure others could benefit from the mix :wink: Best, xm 8)

Well, not very satisfactorily, alas! The size difference is not so great that I need to buy 2 pr of boots - or find someone with a mirror-image asymmetry to swap with :roll: , so I make sure that the bigger foot has the "correct" fit and tolerate some looseness on the smaller foot. That's one reason I use 2 pr sox - to take up a bit of the slack!

Minor body asymmetry is actually quite common if one observes one's fellow human beings closely. I also have one shoulder a little lower than the other that requires my pack straps to be tightened differently.

But apart from these minor peculiarities of physique I am otherwise relatively "normal" - if walking 800km can be considered normal :lol:

Regards
Bob M

I wore: Merrell Mesa Ventilator and my town/shower shoes were Crocks.

My wife wore Women's Saucony Grid Trigons – and her town/shower shoes were OP (Ocean Pacific) Sandals.

A friend wore Vasque leather hiking boots. None of us had any foot problems, we took breaks where we took our shoes and socks off and massaged our feet every hour or so.

Make sure whatever you wear are broken in. Change socks at mid day and cover your feet in Vasoline.

The Camino is really one step at at time.

Jerry

Vaseline - does it really work?

I see frequent references in various places to using vaseline on the feet, so presumably there is some value in it as an anti-friction remedy, but otherwise the concept seems very counter-intuitive to me.

First, with sox rubbing sweating feet, I would have thought that the vaseline would be quickly gone and any lubricating effect would be only feeting . . . err. . . fleeting.

Second, the vaseline might have a softening effect on the footsies, the opposite to what I have believed to be desirable.

Without doing a proper experiment it is difficult to prove the vaseline theory one way or the other, but I would be interested in user experiences. One can always adjust one's views if sufficient evidence emerges :)

Am I talking complete rubbish?

Bob M

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
xm said:
U know, after reading all these posts am almost decided to buy another pair of shoes, a size larger. In the recent past when I've returned from the Caminos I've been loosing a nail on the same (left foot) toe :!: I thought I had been using shoes a size larger, maybe I need two sizes larger :!:
Best, xm 8)

I am always a bit worried about shoes. Blisters on the heels from shoes that are a little loose there are a pain. But you can deal with them. I once got an infection under my big toenail from boots that were too tight. And it only took two days of a four day walk to achieve that. By Day 4 my toe was in agony.

The shop I bought my new shoes from this year were somewhat surprised to see me back buying a bigger pair. But a few long walks were enough to show me the error of my ways with the first pair. Not enough room around the toes on the descents.

The other thing I have been careful to do this time is to pay attention to the sole and I have chosen a good Vibram sole. I thought my previous shoes were OK, but last year while I was descending Croagh Patrick in Ireland, in the rain, it was obvious they were not OK for slippery places. I slipped on wet stones and was rolled around on the ground by the strong wind. Most undignified!!! But at least my biggest injury, other than a bruised elbow, was to my pride.

Oh! My apologies too. I had thought that "Dawn of a New Day" was some deep thing about every new day being a new day and a new life ...

Boots, shoes. The number of Spanish people I met further on in the West in really cheap sweaty trainers having terrible foot problems ...

Just a thought. I loathe wearing footwear anyway, though I wore Hi-Tec Nova-Lites as they were stunningly wide and stunningly cheap (30 euros I think) - still use them, ermm, where was I? ... oh yes, so I wear sandals nearly all the time, Merrells. Anyone out there done long distances or the Camino in sandals? I'd like to do that, though, I must admit to having constant images of Jesus and the disciples walking along rough tracks stopping all the time and leaning on each other as they remove stones ....

...I wear sandals nearly all the time, Merrells. Anyone out there done long distances or the Camino in sandals?

So far TEVAS have done wonders for me, even when I had a serious problems with my feet/shoes, and walked long distances with them. But of course, it wasn't the same as with wearing shoes. At this point I use my sandals after I reach an albergue and for the rest of the day, as well as for showering, and for walking long distances in an emergency like the one mentioned above. Best, xm 8)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all of your responses

Thank you all for these responses. It has been so helpful to read how others deal with the issue of footwear. I feel better about the boots I bought, especially after viewing the photos -- thanks so much for the photos. My boots are Gore-Tex and rise above the ankle, but they are pretty flexible and very light. I also bought them a half-size bigger for the toes.

I've been breaking them in and my Camino isn't starting until late July. I think more than anything, what I was worried about was being the only one on the Camino wearing these clunky hiking boots and looking like a dork. Now I see in the photo that lots of people wear them. Don't I sound like I'm back in junior high? You'd think after all of these years of dorkdom I'd be more secure about my dorkiness. Maybe the Camino will help me to overcome this issue too.

Thanks again,
Nick

Just bought the wrong shoes ...

I have walked many miles in Merrill sandals on various caminos, the longest being the 600 mile Via de la Plata. Perhaps it is helpful that I wear these or similar sandals all the year round, unless there is snow on the ground. I have always found the style that I wear to be comfortable and robust.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re: Just bought the wrong shoes ...

laurie said:
I have walked many miles in Merrill sandals

I bought some Merrell sandles( as well as walking shoes). I have been "wearing them in" this summer, not that they needed it. They are so incredibly comfortable, I found it hard to not wear them all the time. Luckily our summer is now over, or I might wear them out before I left home!

i walked in a pair of chacos and had a pair of columbia trail runners to change into from time to time. loved the chacos, they offered great support and the trail runners were conveniently light but sturdy. just enough support without weighing me down.

as it's been said before, it'll depend on when you plan to go, but i found these two suited my needs/tastes fine.

bom caminho,
athena

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Athena and Laurie - could you share what model of Chacos/Merrills you wore walking the Camino? Each company has so many on offer....

Thanks

I got a nice pair of shoes ("Danner," had never heard of it, + GORE-TEX), a few months ago that r pretty much broken in, excep that the left one, it's always the left one, where my foot is longer than the right one, is a little too tight on the top. Would a shoemaker be able to do something about that? Best, xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.