• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just completed the Camino Ingles

daesdaemar

Camino-holic
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles - twice
Just home a couple of days ago from CI. Walked over five days July 1 - July 5. The walking went well, no leg pains or blisters :)

A few observations:

Several waymarks have been vandalized (mostly before/after Pontedeume. The tile has been painted black and a yellow arrow painted in the WRONG direction. You must get up close to see through the thick black paint to determine the correct direction.

Stayed at the Chocolateria in Betanzos. I had a full apartment with bath, kitchen, and bedroom for 15 euros. Great deal!

I stayed at the Pension/Bar O Meson Novo. Very nice room, good food and delightful hosts. However, I was there on a Sunday night and there was a VERY loud disco or something right next door. I did not sleep a wink until after 3 or 4 in the morning. I cannot recommend staying there unless the disco is closed. I stayed at Hotel Canaima last year and was very quiet.

With all respect to Johnny (his guide is invaluable) there is a major descriptive error that nearly brought me to tears on the long day last year (Betanzos to Bruma), which has yet to be corrected. It is very confusing, at least to me. On page 39 of his guide I have reproduced the paragraph with proposed corrections in parentheses:

KSO passing farm buildings to the Right hand side and after 800 meters there is a yellow arrow pointing straight ahead and immediately (actually, about 200 meters) see a waymark (waymark has been turned over face-down into a deep ditch. However, there is a yellow arrow painted on the pole) with path going off to the Left. Follow this dirt track (actually a well-paved minor road) watching out for arrows and on a small power pylon ahead there is an arrow pointing to the Right. When this track joins a minor road follow the waymark and turn Right.

Stayed at Pension Badalada in Santiago. Right in the heart of things and very nice at 35 euros. However, quite loud because of local people-traffic and eating establishments.

Hope this helps anyone planning to do the CI :)

EDIT: I corrected a page number in my post above.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well done! I'm glad your second walk was easier than the first...
Did you meet many other pilgrims along the way? (I saw only 2 others in early April) How was the weather? Incidentally, I had similar wayfinding problems on that stretch (I think it's page 39 in the guide...) and at Pontedueme.....

Congratulations & well done, thank you for the update on the route,
it will be a great help for us next friday when we start our walk.

Neil & Brenda White

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sojourner47 said:
Well done! I'm glad your second walk was easier than the first...
Did you meet many other pilgrims along the way? (I saw only 2 others in early April) How was the weather? Incidentally, I had similar wayfinding problems on that stretch (I think it's page 39 in the guide...) and at Pontedueme.....

Weather was marvelous the entire time except for some very light misty rain during the morning on the last day walking into SdC.
I did not see another pilgrim on the entire route except for a group of 10 teenage/young men who I met at the evening mass in the church in Siguiero. They were from Madrid and had started in A Coruna. We chatted for a bit and never saw each other again.

n.white51 said:
Congratulations & well done, thank you for the update on the route,
it will be a great help for us next friday when we start our walk.

Neil & Brenda White

Be aware that if you are going to mass in Siguiero, it is at 7 PM, not 7:30 as I believe is stated in the guide.

Glad you had a good time. Have you directly let Johnny Walker have the correction? The Inglés is not as well waymarked as the Francés so the guide is invaluable. It is vital it is accurate.

I had to suggest a change in 2009 because a new house was built and it made a change to the directions. These things happen on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Glad you had a good time. Have you directly let Johnny Walker have the correction? The Inglés is not as well waymarked as the Francés so the guide is invaluable. It is vital it is accurate.

I had to suggest a change in 2009 because a new house was built and it made a change to the directions. These things happen on the Camino.

I presumed Johnny would see this post soon since he frequents this forum. If he doesn't chime in soon, then I will PM him.

Johnny's on a long Camino at the moment - could you pm him so that he sees your updates

thanks

Andy

Congratulations on completing your camino. Thanks very much for posting the information about the route and accommodations. That will be useful for our upcoming camino in mid-September.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We were told that Johnny cannot access the forum properly and is only using his e-mail, as given in the guide. We sent our updates by e-mail as well as a PM.
Could you post them on the Camino Inglés updates thread where folk will see them easily until Johnny is back to update the guide.

Tia Valeria said:
We were told that Johnny cannot access the forum properly and is only using his e-mail, as given in the guide. We sent our updates by e-mail as well as a PM.
Could you post them on the Camino Inglés updates thread where folk will see them easily until Johnny is back to update the guide.

Will do right now :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Daesdaemar wrote
Several waymarks have been vandalized (mostly before/after Pontedeume. The tile has been painted black and a yellow arrow painted in the WRONG direction. You must get up close to see through the thick black paint to determine the correct direction.

We passed this waymark too but, like the fallen one, could not remember where. We ignored the misleading arrow, it 'felt wrong' and followed the blacked out sign. Maybe when Johnny is back he will know who to contact to have it cleaned up and corrected. When we were there it was only in one small area, has the problem spread?

I have quoted this over on the updates too Daesdaemar, hope you don't mind, to follow your other update

I also stayed at the Chocolateria in Betanzos, and yes, it's good value for 15 Euros and good location. I just had a basic room with shared bathroom though. Maybe it's the luck of the draw who gets the separate apartment!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.