• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just completed the Via de la Plata/Sanabres hike.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulations on your arrival in Santiago! Buen Camino de la vida, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations on your arrival in Santiago! Buen Camino de la vida, SY
Thanks!
Are we going to have some details?
Are we going to have some details?
When I get home :). Too many impressions right now. The weather was, overall, great, and the trail itself was almost all non-asphalt - great for the feet. The English guide was sadly worthless - I read German and used the red and yellow guides (I liked the text of the yellow guide more than the red, but the red had better maps). I also found the Eroski website really useful. Very few folks on the trail - between Sevilla and Salamanca, I may have run into ten folks maximum and really not that many more from there to Santiago. Last year I was in a more social mode, so the Norte had just the right mix (though the 70(?)% asphalt was murder) - this year I enjoyed the solitude immensely - at least ten times I had albergues all to myself. The Via is not for everyone - there were very, very few folks under 45 years old or so on the trail, unlike the Francais which is one party scene or the Norte, where most of the folks I met were in their late 20s and early 30s. I think you really need to enjoy getting in touch with yourself and being on your own without a lot of social reinforcement to do the Via - I think, understandably, a lot of younger folks wouldn't really enjoy the lack of a social scene, which the Norte and Francais offer. I'm not going to Fisterra or Muxia this year as I've hiked there previously, and I have to get back to work soon, though my favorite is Muxia.

Later I'll post more, including a couple of "do and don't dos."

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hearing the details! The VDLP is on my short list for feb/march next year. I'm expecially interested in your experiences between Sevilla and Salamanca.

Congratulations!

When I did it in may 2015, I met many other pilgrims... it maybe depends on the season.
The scenery was beautifull, I really loved it

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've just completed the VdlP... you can read about my travels here https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/bordeaux-pizza-goodbyes/
LOVED it! :D
Thanks, LesBrass! Your blog is excellent--it makes for very good reading. . . and makes me yearn to lace up my shoes as soon as possible!

I've ordered the guidebook for the VdlP so I can stop fantasizing about this trip and start the planning to make it actually happen.

And like you, right before I leave, I know I'll wonder what I've gotten myself into this time! (I know this from extensive personal experience getting myself into--and out of--lots of (mis)adventures :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks!

When I get home :). Too many impressions right now. The weather was, overall, great, and the trail itself was almost all non-asphalt - great for the feet. The English guide was sadly worthless - I read German and used the red and yellow guides (I liked the text of the yellow guide more than the red, but the red had better maps).

In the next edition of the yellow guide for the Via de la Plata also the maps will bee improved (1: 200 000) :)

Bon Camino !

Raimund

In the next edition of the yellow guide for the Via de la Plata also the maps will bee improved (1: 200 000) :)

Bon Camino !

Raimund
Vielen dank R!!! Heute habe ich nur ein Bruchteil meines Fotos angeschaut, und mein Gott na, wie schoen den ganzen Weg war-kaum zu glauben!

Last edited:
Hi folks - feel free to PM me if you like, and I'll be happy to share the 'google photos' links (there's only six links) to the literally thousands of photos taken during my October-November hike. Caveat emptor: I didn't edit them yet (to be honest, I'm not sure I will even bother doing so, as there are so many -some I haven't even looked at yet myself), so there will be duplicates and a couple of obscure shots - while some folks like to listen to music while walking, I tend to just snap away with my iphone - in particular, during the long, solitary stretches, and often where there are curves, bends and other little variations in the trail to break things up. Note that 'google photos,' for some reason, likes to make mini-movies, with corny music, of some of the photos, and so, I cannot take credit for such kitschiness :) The links/photos are sorted by date, but I'm not sure they actually show where they were taken (I think they do show up on my own google photos version, but I'm not sure about that either). To the extent that anyone is looking for exact place names, I'll have to try to remember, based on the dates, in cases where I don't actually recall the specific places, but can't promise I will be able to do so. I suppose some of the photos are pretty nice, but again, I haven't separated the wheat from the chaff.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've just completed the VdlP... you can read about my travels here https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/bordeaux-pizza-goodbyes/LOVED it! :D

Just been reading the first week entries of your blog, LesBrass. You have captured it so well.
I was fascinated with your mention of the pilgrim who got into dire straits at the foot of El Calvario. When I was in a similar state of desperation, (though not sick), in the same spot, it never actually occurred to me to phone for help. As it was I didn't need to. You may be interested in my recent account in the thread What was the hardest part of the Camino de Santiago?

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back