• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just completed !

Francesca1983

Dear All

I have just completed the Camino Ingles and I would like to thank everyone for the vital information that you provided, especially the walking directions which were excellent. Whilst I did find them very informative, I also did not use them very much because the route is so well waymarked.

I tended to stay in hotels because they were so cheap and if you do so, you do not need to bring a sleeping back with you or a towel as these are provided in general. I paid between 15euros and 20 euros but I paid 44 for a room in hotel San Vicente which is about 10km from Santiago and about 6km from Siguero. I found that this was a great alternative to staying in Siguero as you can arrive in Santiago for the Pilgrim's mass at 12 o'clock. The hotel is great, the pilgrim's dinner was delicious and cheap and the hosts wonderfully helpful. The hotel is easy to get to as it is on the route 550 which for the most part runs parallel to the camino on the last day before Santiago.

Highlights of the trip: :mrgreen:

(1) Fabulously empty paths. I met 2 other pilgrims on route who I dined with most nights but otherwise had what felt like the whole of Galicia to myself.
(2) The weather was great- it didn't rain once but it was very hot in the afternoon. On day 4, this was a problem as there was a 4km stretch with no shade.
(3) The wonderful wild forests, fragrant flowers (now in bloom) and the friendly encouragement of the locals.
(4) No problem in finding accommodation and therefore no such associated stress.

Not so great :

(1) lots of walking in urban areas on day (1) especially near or on motorways. Generally limited to day (1) and the last day and is counter-balanced by the remoteness of the walk on other days.
(2) Not so much pilgrim infrastructure. I don't think I experienced the walk as a pilgrim in comparison to other walks. However, I did visit stunning churches and towns. Wonderful!
(3) There is a LOT of fried food in Galicia which was disappointing and I found it hard to find vegetables and non-meat based food. Not a problem if you are a meat eater or you don't mind eating chips everyday. Delicious, but at 6.30am , the last thing I want is a deep fried churo! However, upon arrival in Santiago, I had the most amazing food and wine!

If you would like further information, please PM me. I had a great time and came back feeling totally refreshed and ready for the future. A wonderful experience and I am now trying to figure out which camino to walk next!

Buen Camino ! :mrgreen:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Francesca,

Congratulations on your Camino, we are walking the CI in July this year,
our first Camino, and your comments about the countryside sound just right for us.

We'll also be staying at the San Vicente, and its reassuring to hear a good report
about the hotel.

Thank you for your usefull remarks about the route.

Hope planning for furthur Caminos goes well.

best wishes
Neil & Brenda White

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back