• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just finished Montpellier-canfranc

frida1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
we are continuing to Puente la Reina, but I'd be happy to try to answer questions about our completed route.
Blessed with good weather, the route from Col de Somport is easy to follow and a delightful trail. Unless weather is bad, I don't know why anyone need walk on the road.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi: I have read comments before that the route is not well marked, and I have also read comments that the route is well marked. How would you describe it? Also, how would you rate the climbs for the 5-6 after St-Guilhelm in terms of difficulty? (I know it is difficult to say without a common point of reference, but I am just trying to get a better understanding of it). Thanks very much!

We found the markings very good. The area is prone to low visibility in spring, so it takes careful vigilance if misty and foggy. The days fron St Guilham to Murat require 700-900m of up and down climbing, very difficult path mixed with forest or logging road of better quality. It's beautiful, remote and lacks services, so is arduous, but doable and worthwhile.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found the climb out of St Guilhem to be steep, exposed and a little scary, but I have a poor head for heights and it was a windy day. This was also the one day I got lost as I missed an arrow. Quite a few people made the same mistake. Perhaps it is better marked now.

This stage was absolutely the most difficult. We had pouring rain and low visibility. Not for the inexperienced hiker. If doing it again, I would stop in Montpeyroux if there is an option and continue to Blaquiere the next day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This stage was absolutely the most difficult. We had pouring rain and low visibility. Not for the inexperienced hiker. If doing it again, I would stop in Montpeyroux if there is an option and continue to Blaquiere the next day.

That is good to know. I will have to go back and take a look at this section, as St-Jean-da-la-Blaquiere seems to be a natural stop after St-Guilhem. From what @AJ had to say, it might be a tough day for me, as I am not very happy with exposed heights. Oh well - it will be a couple of years before I get the chance to do this route, so I have lots of time to get mentally toughened up.

..,but I'd be happy to try to answer questions about our completed routr.....

Did you spend anybtime in Montprllier? I'm there now and am wondering if there are any shouldn't- miss sites orvevents.

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

We were only in Montpellier for one afternoon before starting our camino the next morning. We enjoyed walking around the city, but I don't have specific recommendations.

Enjoy your camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back