• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just finished my Camino Frances with 40km yesterday but can’t get Compostela or Certificate of Distance

alexanderoabell

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Francis (Planned for August 2022)
Hey guys! I said goodbye to my earthly father (he died after I had planned the Camino and I scattered his Ashe’s in a pringles can on the cliff between foncebadon and Cruz de Ferro).
4451792B-A40B-4113-8584-1BBF2C970468.jpeg

I discovered some universal truths and found God in Arzúa after having been blessed with multiple miracles (a lightning storm in Navarrete, a perfect sunrise in Santa Domingo, and a restoration of my vision every time I splashed the creek water from the way in my face, to name a few)
B52A309E-A2C1-4C30-95ED-F5D38FBCD111.jpeg
8BFA6F62-AB0A-462A-A9F7-1D0165234F8F.jpeg

I rediscovered my passion for art thanks to the encouragement of a fellow pilgrim who inspired me to buy a notebook at a china bazaae and start sketching after 10+ years of losing my fire for art.

3198A860-A6B9-4D30-BDE4-239EA47F3C11.jpeg

E4C10840-E9CD-46F9-A271-DBFCCF6588AB.jpeg

And I met 15+ friends I will keep up with for the rest of my life.
2C835BEB-291B-4E05-BED7-CFFAAF7607BC.jpeg

BUT

I was running as fast as I could (almost considered throwing my bag in some bushes in Santiago) to get to the office on time. People cheered me on, my new friend Markus waited for me at the Cathedral office. But I had lost my glasses on the Camino, couldn’t see, and ended up getting to the inside of the cathedral at 18:53 and was informed by a nun that I was in the wrong place.

She told me to visit back to the office of tourists the following day at 9 or 10 when they open but my flight to Frankfurt and then back home to the USA (Tennessee) is at 9:20.

I have all the stamps to prove my journey. Is there any way to get a Compostela? I really don’t care as much about the paper, but it would be a nice souvenir.

And worst case, I have used photoshop, illustrator and in-design for a couple decades so I could always just make my own?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will not keep the 15+ friends for the rest of your life.

Make your own Compostela, or better still, forget about it, unless it is important to you for religious reasons. You suggest it is a souvenir, so no sweat.

You will not keep the 15+ friends for the rest of your life.

Make your own Compostela, or better still, forget about it, unless it is important to you for religious reasons. You suggest it is a souvenir, so no sweat.
Keeping a friend doesn’t mean holding them in constant strong ties. Sometimes, the unbreakable connections you forge over the common pursuit of a shared goal can give you those glorious weak tie connections that can be reactivated years later as though no time had passed at all.

I’m a big believer that your garden grows where you water it, and so I guess it depends on the gardener.

I’ll probably just make one (not a forgery, but rather a symbolic one)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here is something you might try: scan your credenciales. Send them to the office. Explain your situation. Or phone them and see what they say. If you really want a compostela, that is. There is an English speaking option if you look up the friends of the camino, room 6 in the pilgrim office is where some Irish sisters make pilgrims welcome and they would be able to at least suggest something possible. I would not be bothered with a makey uppy certificate to be honest. The real one is in your heart.

BTW - there is a thumbnail option for when you upload pictures. Anyone who wants to see it full size can click on the small image. If you upload pix full size a) it overloads the forum server b) a lot of people with slow hardware/connections won't be able to see it. Good luck with getting your compostela - you might just have to walk another camino.

BTW - there is a thumbnail option for when you upload pictures. Anyone who wants to see it full size can click on the small image. If you upload pix full size a) it overloads the forum server b) a lot of people with slow hardware/connections won't be able to see it. Good luck with getting your compostela - you might just have to walk another camino.

Sorry about that! First-ish post here. I didn’t really have a chance to dig into these forums until AFTER my first Camino. Oops!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
BTW - there is a thumbnail option for when you upload pictures. Anyone who wants to see it full size can click on the small image. If you upload pix full size a) it overloads the forum server b) a lot of people with slow hardware/connections won't be able to see it.
I've edited the post to reduce the size of the photos.

I have all the stamps to prove my journey. Is there any way to get a Compostela? I really don’t care as much about the paper, but it would be a nice souvenir
Treasure your credential as your souvenir. With all of its stamps of the places that you stayed it's a better reminder of your journey than a Compostela.

Last edited:
Keeping a friend doesn’t mean holding them in constant strong ties. Sometimes, the unbreakable connections you forge over the common pursuit of a shared goal can give you those glorious weak tie connections that can be reactivated years later as though no time had passed at all.

I’m a big believer that your garden grows where you water it, and so I guess it depends on the gardener.

I have walked many kilometers on many caminos and maybe I will never see virtually all the people I met along the way but my heart gets bigger on each camino keeping those friends close to me.
But than again I walked with a friend on my second camino that I met on my first one. Last year I walked with a friend that I met in my 5th camino and this year I will walk with a couple I met on that same camino. My friendships go on and so will yours! Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Treasure your credential as your souvenir. With all of its stamps of the places that you stayed it's a better reminder of your journey than a Compostela.
My sentiments exactly. We, me and life partner, got an Irish credentials book in Dublin at the Camino office in St James church in 2017, stamped in prep for our 2018 Leon to SdC. Deep family Irish roots makes this special, not any religious connotations. We had plenty of room in the credentials on our present right now camino from SJPdP to SdC. Will not worry about the Compostela but will be in Dublin next year, touch wood, and will get a final stamp at the Dublin office.
As stated, more precious for our memories on the Camino.

Is there a time limit on collecting the certificate? Could you hold the pilgrim passport (and I agree with the poster above that this is the more valuable momento) and may maybe return to SdC at some point if your travels take you back to Spain and collect it then?

Is there a time limit on collecting the certificate? Could you hold the pilgrim passport (and I agree with the poster above that this is the more valuable momento) and may maybe return to SdC at some point if your travels take you back to Spain and collect it then?
I’d be interested to know this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My sentiments exactly. We, me and life partner, got an Irish credentials book in Dublin at the Camino office in St James church in 2017, stamped in prep for our 2018 Leon to SdC. Deep family Irish roots makes this special, not any religious connotations. We had plenty of room in the credentials on our present right now camino from SJPdP to SdC. Will not worry about the Compostela but will be in Dublin next year, touch wood, and will get a final stamp at the Dublin office.
As stated, more precious for our memories on the Camino.
Make sure you check that the camino Information centre will be open - Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays 10.30 - 3.30pm till winter descends... then maybe just Saturdays. There are two stamps, make sure you have space for both!

My daughter was initially denied her certificate because she and her friend walked the last two days in one marathon overnight!!

They were despondent. Fortunately some of their camino friends vouched for them and they also found a sympathetic official.

It can depend on who’s in the office. So I would say try again!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My daughter was initially denied her certificate because she and her friend walked the last two days in one marathon overnight!!

They were despondent. Fortunately some of their camino friends vouched for them and they also found a sympathetic official.

It can depend on who’s in the office. So I would say try again!!
Oops. Just read that you’re flying back. Idea: can someone else get it for you snd mail it to you? Ivar? An albergue volunteer? I don’t know if you have to be present.

I’d be interested to know this.
Stingy Nomads of YouTube fame, appear to have picked up a number of different compstellas for different routes over a period of years. Maybe reach out to them on their website and see if they can clarify for you.

Sounds like they simply provided their past credentials and were given them, back dated.

All the best. Please let us know how you go.

If need be I’d be happy to try and get the Compostela for you. Will arrive in Santiago around 27 or 28 September. If you can’t find an alternate solution.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is there a time limit on collecting the certificate?... maybe return to SdC at some point if your travels take you back to Spain and collect it then?
There is no time limit, you can come back another time with your stamped up credential and get your compostela.
can someone else get it for you snd mail it to you? Ivar? An albergue volunteer? I don’t know if you have to be present.
No, you have to present your credential yourself

I reconnected with a high school friend after about 50 years of not being in contact. You never know what life may bring you.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey guys! I said goodbye to my earthly father (he died after I had planned the Camino and I scattered his Ashe’s in a pringles can on the cliff between foncebadon and Cruz de Ferro).
View attachment 133203

I discovered some universal truths and found God in Arzúa after having been blessed with multiple miracles (a lightning storm in Navarrete, a perfect sunrise in Santa Domingo, and a restoration of my vision every time I splashed the creek water from the way in my face, to name a few)
View attachment 133208
View attachment 133209

I rediscovered my passion for art thanks to the encouragement of a fellow pilgrim who inspired me to buy a notebook at a china bazaae and start sketching after 10+ years of losing my fire for art.

View attachment 133206

View attachment 133207

And I met 15+ friends I will keep up with for the rest of my life.
View attachment 133210

BUT

I was running as fast as I could (almost considered throwing my bag in some bushes in Santiago) to get to the office on time. People cheered me on, my new friend Markus waited for me at the Cathedral office. But I had lost my glasses on the Camino, couldn’t see, and ended up getting to the inside of the cathedral at 18:53 and was informed by a nun that I was in the wrong place.

She told me to visit back to the office of tourists the following day at 9 or 10 when they open but my flight to Frankfurt and then back home to the USA (Tennessee) is at 9:20.

I have all the stamps to prove my journey. Is there any way to get a Compostela? I really don’t care as much about the paper, but it would be a nice souvenir.

And worst case, I have used photoshop, illustrator and in-design for a couple decades so I could always just make my own?
I admire your courage and tenacity

I like what you said about friends. :)
My official paper sits in a cupboard and no one asks to see it for proof; the feeling inside is the same. If it means a lot, I think if you write to them it would help. You have a way with words. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back