• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just finished my camino Frances

windswept

Windswept
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2011) Camino Portuguese (2014) Camino del la Plata 2015
I started out over the Pyrenees at 0700 on the 8th september and arrived in santiago 22 days and 8hours later. The sun shone all the way with the exception of a morning of light rain in Galicia, where it is now over 30C in Santiago. I walked hard fast and alone and found it a once in a lifetime experience. I was 64 when I started and now feel more like 46.

The fact the sun shone meant everyday I could don clean clothes and not have to worry about wet gear. No blisters or bedbugs, either.

I had personal reasons for walking so hard not least of which was my charity http://www.justgiving.com/thepilgrim. The schedule I posted on there before I wnt has been blown away. I trained hard and took lots of advice from this forujm. Thanks everyone.

Windswept

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
wow! you only took 3 weeks!! You finished the camino on the feast of Guardian Angels (and left on Our Lady´s birthday) you chose good dates! :wink: and you have almost reached your fundraising target! Your post is so encouraging-

Thanks for sharing! :D

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'd have to say your moniker is totally appropriate!! Congrats on a job well done and glad to see you enjoyed yourself, even at that blistering pace!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fantastic Windswept...well done indeed!

Ksam mentioned a blistering pace...but it appears that by your own account you didn't get any blisters.

With the heavy pounding of your pace, what was it that you did to forestall the advent of blisters?

Any personal secrets here?

Again, congrats and be aware the Camino isn't finished with you yet.

Arn

Thank you folks for your kind words. I am home now and things are gradually dropping into place and the memories are stupendous and happy. The sense of euphoria I felt when I walked through the arch and down the steps into the Square at Santiago was fantastic. I've got over 700 photos to sort out and hope to make a book out of them in due course.

As a matter of interest when I was walking through a wood a few hours from Roncesvalles I came across a memorial to a 64 year old pilgrim, (same age as me), from Japan who had died at that spot while walking the WAY. A huge pile of cones had been put underneath as a mark of respect from passing pilgrims and I duly added mine. After a few metres a went back, took a cone from the bottom of the pile and put it in my sack. If he couldn't get there on his own then he could come with me, at least in spirit.

That little cone eventually came to represent for me a all those who died on route and whose last sky was the Field of Stars.

When I arrived at Santiago I put the cone in the nich of a column behind the right hand pulpit of the alter, it was still there when I left and I hope it will eventually drift to dust as we all will in time.

I hope it is still there when you go.

And Arn, re bilisters, here is my take.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been travelling home.

It is true, I had no blisters and I put that down to the boots, a pair of lightweight gortex trail boots that I bought three months before I went. I then wore them during training on Dartmoor where I live. I also bought two pairs of Fox River light weight socks which went well with them. The only thing I did with the feet was to soak them nightly for two weeks before I went in Meths, which is supposed to harden the soles. I do have soft feet actually but I put the no blisters down to the fact that I got the boots sorted before I went and even got to the stage that I enjoyed putting them on they were so comfortable. A lot of the route is over stoney ground and if you don't have good soles then your feet will hurt on the bottom.

I was also blessed with exceptionally good weather, wall to wall sun, I suspect that if it had rained it would have been a different story. Still, you have to deal with what is put in front of you including some days when the temperature approached the 40C mark.

I know banging on about getting the right boots before you go is boring but if they hurt before you go they will not improve with walking. They become your best friend in the end

Hope this helps, it was a stupendous experience and I hope you have the same luck as I have.
Best wishes
Roger

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back