• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just finished Tui to SdC...

Stuart Selkirk

Time of past OR future Camino
Last 100km (Oct 2013)
Started last Tuesday (8th Oct), finished Saturday. Weather was glorious until Saturday evening, mid 20's all day and dry all week. No long lines of Pilgrims, often saw only 4 or 5 all day, but the Albergues were full each night, apart from Teo on Friday (only about 8 in). But that shortened the last day, and I think Padron would have been full. All clean, friendly, no bed bugs (altho a report of one person bitten in a non-Xunta Albergue). If anyone is anxious about it, don't be, it's easy even for a non-Spanish speaker and the walking is mostly flat and easy. It's about 60% countryside and the rest can be hard shoulder or through towns, but nothing too onerous. Few English speakers - I think about 4 Canadians, mostly Spanish, Germans, South Americans and other Europeans, but not a problem. Enjoy! Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Congratulations. So, what about a next Caminho? :p

Best Regards
Diogo

Started last Tuesday (8th Oct), finished Saturday. Weather was glorious until Saturday evening, mid 20's all day and dry all week. No long lines of Pilgrims, often saw only 4 or 5 all day, but the Albergues were full each night, apart from Teo on Friday (only about 8 in). But that shortened the last day, and I think Padron would have been full. All clean, friendly, no bed bugs (altho a report of one person bitten in a non-Xunta Albergue). If anyone is anxious about it, don't be, it's easy even for a non-Spanish speaker and the walking is mostly flat and easy. It's about 60% countryside and the rest can be hard shoulder or through towns, but nothing too onerous. Few English speakers - I think about 4 Canadians, mostly Spanish, Germans, South Americans and other Europeans, but not a problem. Enjoy! Buen Camino!
Glad you enjoyed it, did you stay at Briallos, Caldas de Reis or the Herbon Monastery ? Did you take the "green" route to O Porrino or straight through the industrial estate ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So pleased you enjoyed it, Stuart. Of course - now your camino begins! You may not have been bitten by any bed bugs, but I bet the camino "bit" you and you've got the bug for a further adventure!
Buen camino!

Congratulations. So, what about a next Caminho? :p

Best Regards
Diogo
Thanks Diogo, but the next adventure is a little more distant! Am off to Nepal in March 2014 to do the Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) trek. Maybe after that I might think about doing a bit of the Camino Frances, but we'll see. Just to say tho....I treated myself to a Swedish Massage after the Camino, and the masseuse has made my legs ache more than the walking did! Robust, she was!
Stu

Glad you enjoyed it, did you stay at Briallos, Caldas de Reis or the Herbon Monastery ? Did you take the "green" route to O Porrino or straight through the industrial estate ?

Thanks Steven. Stayed at Caldas on the Thursday night, really nice. Through O Porrino, branched left and went through the woods. To be honest, I thought the new route was just some cafe owner being a bit of a chancer and diverting pilgrims to his establishment! Good luck to him, but I'd rather go the proper way, lol!
Stu

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So pleased you enjoyed it, Stuart. Of course - now your camino begins! You may not have been bitten by any bed bugs, but I bet the camino "bit" you and you've got the bug for a further adventure!
Buen camino!

Hi Stephen, and yep, I think you can get bitten by these things. Depends of course on why you decided to peregrinate in the first place, and whether or not that worked for you. I can imagine that some people probably get what they set out to get and are then satisfied in that regard. I think I have a few more adventures left in me, and I really enjoyed my first Spanish sojourn....yeah I think after Nepal (see above) I may well go back!
Buen Camino
Stu

Thanks Diogo, but the next adventure is a little more distant! Am off to Nepal in March 2014 to do the Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) trek. Maybe after that I might think about doing a bit of the Camino Frances, but we'll see. Just to say tho....I treated myself to a Swedish Massage after the Camino, and the masseuse has made my legs ache more than the walking did! Robust, she was!
Stu

You're going to Nepal!? I'm so jealous of you right now :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Thanks Steven. Stayed at Caldas on the Thursday night, really nice. Through O Porrino, branched left and went through the woods. To be honest, I thought the new route was just some cafe owner being a bit of a chancer and diverting pilgrims to his establishment! Good luck to him, but I'd rather go the proper way, lol!
Stu
So you missed the "Field of Citroens" ? I'm fond of the "proper way" straight through the industrial estate, having said which, next time I think I'll enjoy the trees and the river, good luck to the cafe owner !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So you missed the "Field of Citroens" ? I'm fond of the "proper way" straight through the industrial estate, having said which, next time I think I'll enjoy the trees and the river, good luck to the cafe owner !

I didn't see the field of Citroens this year. Probably, they weren't planted on that time of the year @stevenjarvis :p

I'm really interested in doing the new way in O Porriño. I've already seen photos and could see that you still have some tarmac roads, but hey, you also have a very pleasant way near the river and woods. And the best of all is that, the final stretch reachs out near the Albergue, so you don't have to cross all the O Porriño city to arrive there :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back